title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

dBpoweramp Batch Ripper: Discussions

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bhoar
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Sep 2006

Re: Batch Ripper and external loader commands

Originally posted by Spoon
    The drive handle might be left open, nothing should be accessing the drive from our end on a load.exe
    Ok. Thanks, that helps.

I'm working out some issues with Jason regarding IDE drive access (trays on connected-via-IDE PX-708 drives were only opening halfway, etc. with the current ULCLI drivers, when there wasn't a problem over USB/Firewire which I've done 90% of my testing with).

For now, I've added a switch to bypass my own SPTI calls and use some more everyday calls instead...that seems to have worked for him, but you give up a bit of throughput if you uses that flag (better than a stopped process though!).

In the future, I might try to either grab an exclusive (non-shared) write handle to the device for SPTI use before using SPTI calls...or fall through to non-SPTI calls if the handle-request fails (which I suspect it will if you have a handle open).

EDIT: there's also a chance that my SPTI calls are in some way malformed from the perspective of a raw ATAPI device (one that isn't bridged via another protocol...) or at least a raw ATAPI PX-708 device.

I don't have any PX-708s to test here, but the workaround I gave to Jason lowers the issue priority for me.

Thanks again.

-brendan
    Last edited by bhoar; June 06, 2008, 09:26 PM.

Comment

• EliC
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • May 2004

Re: dBpoweramp Batch Ripper: Discussions

I have 2 things I would really like to see soon in the batch ripper:

1) Automatically save the highest resolution album art from BOTH AMG and GD3. You are paying for them, and if one is wrong or poor quality the other will be their without paying for another lookup

2) PerfectMeta Quality Meter
      I have finally gotten around to playing with PerfectMeta - and so far I am very impressed. Some initial comments: -would like to see meta data pulled from multiple freedb choices -it would be nice if each field in the PerfectMeta screen was not only editable, but dragable. I have come across a few examples now where

-use spell checker, grammer, artist lists, previous manual edits in PMdb, agreement between sources, etc to come up with some sort of measurement of the meta data quality. Prompt users to manually examine the metadata if the quality measurement is below a certain value (and of course upload any manual edits to the PMdb)

Comment

• Donovan
        • Jun 2008

Is it possible to do something other than audio ripping with the batch ripper? I'd like to use it with an MF Digital Baxter to rip DVDs to .iso, and I was hoping there was a way I could configure it to run a command-line disc imaging program that works with DVDs instead of attempting to rip CD audio tracks. I don't mind writing some external scripts on my own.

Also, the Baxter I ordered will probably not come with any software (repackaged under another name with unknown control software)...does the batch ripper need any drivers that come with the unit or does it just need its own?

Thank you in advance.

Comment

• bhoar
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Donovan
          Is it possible to do something other than audio ripping with the batch ripper? I'd like to use it with an MF Digital Baxter to rip DVDs to .iso, and I was hoping there was a way I could configure it to run a command-line disc imaging program that works with DVDs instead of attempting to rip CD audio tracks. I don't mind writing some external scripts on my own.

Also, the Baxter I ordered will probably not come with any software (repackaged under another name with unknown control software)...does the batch ripper need any drivers that come with the unit or does it just need its own?
          No, at the moment dbpoweramp only handles audio CDs. I suspect that for the foreseeable future, Illustrate will stay away from DVD ripping (for legal/liability reasons) though only Spoon can say for sure.

The Baxter-type (baxter, minicubis, dupliq, etc.) units all use the same windows driver (the driver proper is a renamed copy of microsoft's bulkusb.sys), though often the .inf file packaged with the units differ because of branding and/or the PID/VID combination that the USB device reports itself as. In other words, other than the paint and print on the outside of the units, they only differ in the device (product/vendor) ID that they report. In the past, I've modified the inf file to masquerade a dupliq as a baxter, etc.

Spoon has stated in that past that his baxter "drivers" (in the batch ripper, not windows sense: load.exe, unload.exe, reject.exe, pre-batch.exe, post-batch.exe) should work for all varieties of these devices regardless of whether the device reports itself as a baxter or something else.

-brendan

Comment

• Donovan
            • Jun 2008

Originally posted by bhoar
            Spoon has stated in that past that his baxter "drivers" (in the batch ripper, not windows sense: load.exe, unload.exe, reject.exe, pre-batch.exe, post-batch.exe) should work for all varieties of these devices regardless of whether the device reports itself as a baxter or something else.
            So then it should be possible for me to call those executables directly from my own batch file and use another program to image the DVDs? Even just having that would be enough to make it worth buying dBpoweramp.

Comment

• bhoar
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Donovan
              So then it should be possible for me to call those executables directly from my own batch file and use another program to image the DVDs? Even just having that would be enough to make it worth buying dBpoweramp.
              See "Loader CLI Switches" in this thread for more info: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=13597

Again, I doubt you're going to get any support doing something like that, and probably risking a moderator stop the discussion if it goes into any further specifics.

-brendan

Comment

• MrBuBBLs
                • Jun 2008

Okay, hi everyone. My company just got it's hands on a licence of dbpoweramp and I'm actually testing the batch ripper.

There are a few "glitches" in it.

First, there is no scrollbars on the right side of the CD-ROM list when you rip.
                So I have a machine here with 9 Plextors with the batch ripper running and I can't see all of the 9 drives at the same time. Could there be scroll bars in future batch ripper release ?
                (Reducing batch ripper's windows size doesn't either solve that problem... There aren't no scrollbars appearing)

Sorry for my bad english guys, I'm a frenchy.

Comment

• sredmyer
                  dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                  • May 2008

Album art

I am sure I am just not doing it correctly but I can not get the Batch Ripper to save the Album Art. I have it set so that it is retrieved and saved when using CD Ripper. Is there some other place it must be set for the Batch Ripper to use it?

Thanks,
                  Steve

Comment

• LtData
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • May 2004

Re: Album art

Do you have an active PerfectMeta (r13) or AMG (r12) subscription?

Comment

• sredmyer
                      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                      • May 2008

Originally posted by LtData
                      Do you have an active PerfectMeta (r13) or AMG (r12) subscription?
                      Yes I have r13 not sure if the PerfectMeta feature is turned on or not...How do I tell?

No I have not yet subscribed to AMG (plan to in the future but I haven't yet)..will need instructions on how to go about signing up for that service in the near future

Comment

• LtData
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • May 2004

Check dBpoweramp Configuration (see "Need to find your version?" below), it will tell you the status. You should have at least a 30-day trial if you activated it and it has not yet expired.

Comment

• sredmyer
                          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                          • May 2008

Originally posted by LtData
                          Check dBpoweramp Configuration (see "Need to find your version?" below), it will tell you the status. You should have at least a 30-day trial if you activated it and it has not yet expired.
                          Yes it looks like the AMG thing is on. However I do not believe this is the problem because as I stated originaly when I use CD Ripper the album art is downloaded and saved to the appropriate folder. It is only when using Batch Ripper that it is not.

Comment

• Spoon
                            Administrator
                            • Apr 2002

Switch on the Manual Input & Review (meta button) to check that metadata is retrieved from AMG
                            Spoon
                            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• sredmyer
                              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                              • May 2008

Originally posted by Spoon
                              Switch on the Manual Input & Review (meta button) to check that metadata is retrieved from AMG
                              Uh...wont that then require me to manually review each CD/Track's meta data meaning: rip one CD, stop to verify the meta data, then move onto the next CD? If the answer is yes then what would the point of batch ripping be?

Again I think you guys are overlooking an importat point here...it works fine when using the "CD Ripper" app (the application that provides single disc at a time ripping) it does not work when using th "Batch Ripper" application. This tells me that the "Batch Ripper" is probably using a different configuration value (at least for this parameter) than is th "CD Ripper". Problem is I can not find anywhere to set any of the values used by the "Batch Ripper"...it appears (at least for other parameters) that the "Batch Ripper application use the settings defined in the "CD Ripper" application.

Comment

• sredmyer
                                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                                • May 2008

Is there a tutorial somewhere that describes setting up the software for ripping and batch ripping. Something that explains what parameters affect what applications and where one must go to see/set those parameters?

Comment

Working...

]]>