title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

dBpoweramp Batch Ripper: Discussions

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nonreality
    • Feb 2008

Re: dBpoweramp Batch Ripper: Discussions

A comment from the little guys.
    Downloaded R13 and batch ripper. Installed. Started and loaded saved multi encoder profile. Started batch, loaded 2 internal drives (cd/dvd) 1 USB dvd and ripped and encoded to flac and mp3 on a firewire USB drive, 28 albums. Start up to batch run after install - 10 minutes. Problems 2 1-Operator got confused and loaded same cd twice, program corrected operator. 2 CD needed cleaned, program corrected operator.

Very awesome!

Comment

• bhoar
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Sep 2006

Q for spoon on the Windows Auto-Insert Notification (AIN) feature:

Does the enabled/disabled status of the Windows Auto-Insert Notification have any bearing at all on the batch ripper? e.g. more specifically...

1. Should it be enabled or disabled?
      2. Will having it enabled impact performance of the batch ripper and if so, can disabling it potentially increase throughput?
      3. Can AIN (even rarely) lead to disc-recognition timeouts in the batch ripper or the read errors in the cdgrab application?

-brendan

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

I would always turn off autorun, especially with the Sony Rootkits that are out there on audio cds.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• bhoar
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Spoon
          I would always turn off autorun, especially with the Sony Rootkits that are out there on audio cds.
          Spoon - note that Auto-Insert Notification and Autorun are two separate things.
          My question was on the former.

-brendan

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

It should not have any effect, then again I always have the option on in batch ripper to disable the AIN + autorun at a low level.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• bhoar
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Sep 2006

It should not have any effect, then again I always have the option on in batch ripper to disable the AIN + autorun at a low level.
              Oh - I thought the "Prevent auto-run on all drives" option only disabled Autorun. It disables AIN too?

-brendan

Comment

• Spoon
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

Yes, even explorer will not know the disc has changed.
                Spoon
                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• bhoar
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Sep 2006

The R13 thread on scanning support leads me to a batch ripper question (a feature request, I guess):

If one wanted to store a picture of the disc in the tray with the rip output, assuming a web cam were attached pointing down at the tray location in front of the drives: such a picture would a) need to be taken either during the load.exe or during both the unload.exe and reject.exe calls and b) would you consider passing a pathname value either to the exe's where the picture should be output or receiving such a pathname via the --passerrorsback= file?

Low priority, of course, but potentially useful for improving the workflow / assisting cleanup efforts when encountering unrecognized or mis-recognized discs.

-brendan

Comment

• Spoon
                    Administrator
                    • Apr 2002

Output filenames are not available until meta data is read, so load.exe would never get it.
                    Spoon
                    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• bhoar
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Sep 2006

Output filenames are not available until meta data is read, so load.exe would never get it.
                      Ok, then either load.exe would have to pass a filename back to the batch ripper or the batch ripper would pass the filename to the unload.exe and/or reject.exe.

The specifics of the mechanism isn't too important at this point in time, I just wanted to add the idea to your radar.

[I am considering expanding the ULCLI to allow it to invoke an external command during processing (such as triggering a webcam snapshot between the disc load and tray close and/or between the tray open and disc unload). Perhaps useful in the batch ripping context as noted in my previous post, but definitely useful should the ULCLI ever be used in data ripping and/or forensics.]

-brendan

Comment

• bhoar
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Sep 2006

Spoon -

In the batch ripper, it might be useful to designate drives that have not yet been configured for accuraterip with an icon of some sort (both on the initial screen as well as during the ripping process). Just as a reminder to users that they need to stick around for a bit and respond to the dialogs that show up about configuring accuraterip.

OR, alternately, have cdgrab.exe automatically do it without operator intevention when called from the batch ripper.

Or both.

-brendan

Comment

• RipTheWorld
                          • Sep 2007

Haven't posted in a while so thought I would catch up with whats going on as I have been using Batch Ripper fairly happily for a while now.

I'm pretty happy with most of the features, but one thing I would really like to see is better handling of tracks that have errors. Currently the only way there seems to be of removing all tracks that haven't ripped properly is removing the tracks that haven't been tagged properly. If there is another way then Please do correct me.

In my ideal setup all CDs would be ripped on separate machines to those that do the error correction. The machine re-ripping the bad tracks would recognise that the disc has been ripped on another machine running the same job and try to re-rip just the bad tracks. If it can't re-rip them to your specified accuracy level then you are given the choice to delete the files. Having a network batch would also allow discs that have already been ripped successfully on one machine to be rejected from all others. I have recently done a few jobs where I have had multiples of the same CD and the last one to get ripped was the only one with errors so it overwrote the existing good tracks!

My current setup involves ripping on several machines and then combining all of the files onto a single hard drive before bad tracks are re-ripped and the ones that can't be recovered are removed. Keeping an error log and only re-ripping bad tracks would certainly save me a lot of time.

Also anyway to generate error reports would be useful. I have a script that scans for the rip logs and outputs what I need, but it would be much easier if all of this information was stored in a single place.

Comment

• Spoon
                            Administrator
                            • Apr 2002

If you set the 'secure settings' to mark any unsecure tracks as an error, the batch ripper will put any insecure discs in the reject pile which is easier for sorting.
                            Spoon
                            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• bhoar
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Sep 2006

Batch Ripper and external loader commands

Spoon -

When the BatchRipper.exe is waiting for the external commands (load.exe, unload.exe, reject.exe, pre-batch.exe, post-batch.exe) commands to exit and return control of the drive to itself...does it continue to poll the drives or does it ignore them completely until the driver commands exit?

In addition, does it continue to hold handles to the drives during that time and, if so, what share flags are used to create the handles it created and continues to have during the external loader command run events?

-brendan
                              Last edited by bhoar; June 06, 2008, 07:40 PM.

Comment

• Spoon
                                Administrator
                                • Apr 2002

Re: Batch Ripper and external loader commands

The drive handle might be left open, nothing should be accessing the drive from our end on a load.exe
                                Spoon
                                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>