title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

dBpoweramp Batch Ripper: Discussions

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RipTheWorld
    • Sep 2007

Re: dBpoweramp Batch Ripper: Discussions

Sorry. A lot of my comments come across as a bit negative, but I am honestly just trying to help make it better.

I'm starting to run some pretty good tests on it at the moment so have a bit of feedback for you.

On the whole the intelligent lookups works well. I have it setup to lookup from AMG and only defaults to GD3 when it can't find anything. I have noticed some slight problems though.

1. Stripped '(Disc 2)' from Oasis - Stop The Clocks (Disc 2) even though both FreeDB and musicbrainz said it was 'Disc 2' and it was listed as '2/2' from AMG. (AMG just didn't have the 'Disc 2' in the title). Things like this are a real pain to sort out after the event. Will also put (Disc 2) onto an album title that already has it at the end so I end up with '(Disc 2) (Disc 2)' at the end of an album.

2. The year should be customisable to just the year and not the full date (although this may have been an option I missed). Also AMG sometimes has the 'dd' field missing and replaces it with 'zz' so you get a return like '1991 10 zz' (MusicBrainz has had the 'dd' and yet it has still taken AMG!) field Doesn't look so good!

3. The actions on the robot seem a bit screwed up. When a CD is accepted as good the following happens.
    - Tray ejects
    - Robot picks up CD and deposits in bin and stays above bin.
    - Tray closes
    - Tray ejects
    - Robot arm resets to above try and pauses
    - Robot then picks up new CD and deposits in tray

Not sure I see the need to close the tray before picking up a new CD. Also the arm can be reset to the tray position as soon as it has dropped the accepted CD. I reckon this is costing 5-10 CDs per hour in speed!

4. Smart capitalise should have an option to be auto applied. Error in Composer field when 'Joe Blogs; John Smith' got changed to 'Joe Blogs; john Smith'.

5. An option to remove error tracks would be good. I personally have no interest in keeping them for clients.

6. Track titles always seem to loose their sub heading part 'Its Only Rock And Roll (But I Like It)' becomes 'Its Only Rock And Roll'.

7. Doesn't seem to be hitting GD3 at all. When both methods are selected.

Will have a bit more feedback later on today as I am going to run a bunch of classical music through it on one of my other machines and see how it copes.

Comment

• bhoar
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by RipTheWorld
      3. The actions on the robot seem a bit screwed up. When a CD is accepted as good the following happens.
      - Tray ejects
      - Robot picks up CD and deposits in bin and stays above bin.
      - Tray closes
      - Tray ejects
      - Robot arm resets to above try and pauses
      - Robot then picks up new CD and deposits in tray

Not sure I see the need to close the tray before picking up a new CD. Also the arm can be reset to the tray position as soon as it has dropped the accepted CD. I reckon this is costing 5-10 CDs per hour in speed!
      Which robot (make/model ... and link to a picture if you can find one)? Which driver are you using?

-brendan

Comment

• RipTheWorld
        • Sep 2007

It is a Mediatechnics 4 drive unit. So obviously using the Mediatechnics driver.

Erm, will get photo later.

Comment

• bhoar
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Sep 2006

It is a Mediatechnics 4 drive unit. So obviously using the Mediatechnics driver.

Erm, will get photo later.
          Impact? pact? Newer right-side drives (or both side drives) Fusion units? Older left-side-drive Fusion DVD or number-number-number CD units?

And I'm not being facetious. The problem with writing drivers to the hardware is that each manufacturer has many varieties with similar but not quite the same driver requirements.

If you can link to a photo that matches yours and I can compare against my equipment, as I probably have something similar, and then try to optimize the driver for it.

However, with that said: it is probably the case that most of the wait time you are seeing is due to my current conservative coding practices. Some of that wait time will be removed once the hardware error handling code is improved, which is one thing I am currently working on.

Most drivers, other than the microboards ones, shouldn't be closing and opening the tray between Accept and Insert, though. Between Reject and Insert, yes, because often the reject spindle is below the trays...but not Accept...hmm.

-brendan

Comment

• RipTheWorld
            • Sep 2007

Fair point. They do have quite a few models.

its this one http://www.mediatechnics.com/images/...s/4drivepc.gif

4 Drives, 600 CD capacity.

btw. The shake mode doesn't seem to shake.

Comment

• Spoon
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

1. Stripped '(Disc 2)' from Oasis - Stop The Clocks (Disc 2) even though both FreeDB and musicbrainz said it was 'Disc 2' and it was listed as '2/2' from AMG. (AMG just didn't have the 'Disc 2' in the title). Things like this are a real pain to sort out after the event. Will also put (Disc 2) onto an album title that already has it at the end so I end up with '(Disc 2) (Disc 2)' at the end of an album.
              (Disc 2) is supposed to be stripped internally, we have to try to unify the metadata, that is make AMG, GD3, MB and freedb all match. There is 'Multi CD Add to Album' option in Meta.

7. Doesn't seem to be hitting GD3 at all. When both methods are selected.
              Make sure the Commercial lookup rule is set to lookup both. Also enable the Manual Input and Review to see if GD3 is there, sometimes I have seen it myself a database can go down.
              Spoon
              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• bhoar
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Sep 2006

Fair point. They do have quite a few models.

its this one http://www.mediatechnics.com/images/...s/4drivepc.gif

4 Drives, 600 CD capacity.

btw. The shake mode doesn't seem to shake.
                Ok, I think I've got that hardware variant (well, the taller version with 4 input stacks). I'll see what I can do over the weekend.

If you get a chance, would you turn on logging in the batch ripper and capture the results of a --command=V... from the log window so that I know exactly what that unit is reporting itself as?

-brendan

Comment

• RipTheWorld
                  • Sep 2007

Nope, still not hitting GD3. I have checked and the service wasn't down.

I even re-installed everything just to make sure.

Comment

• Spoon
                    Administrator
                    • Apr 2002

You have signed up for a dBpoweramp account?, not using an existing gd3 account, the two are different.
                    Spoon
                    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• RipTheWorld
                      • Sep 2007

ah.

That would be it then. Guess I'll be signing up for a second GD3 account then!

Comment

• latefordinner
                        • Dec 2007

I just reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled BatchRipper. Although I have copied my old Results folder, which contains the results for many batches of rips, to the new path designated in BatchRipper's configure utility, when I run BatchRipper it does not show any of my old rips in the Results from Batch menu. How can I restore my old rips to that menu so that I can read them?

Thanks.

Comment

• Spoon
                          Administrator
                          • Apr 2002

Your results need to be in a results folder inside the \dbpoweramp\batchripper\results folder.
                          Spoon
                          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• RipTheWorld
                            • Sep 2007

The settings I have for a first pass run are:
                            Secure Rip
                            Bad Frames Re-read: 5 times
                            Abort after unrecoverable: 10
                            C2 Errors and cache clear on.

My question is that if frames are re-read does this always mean the track is insecure (and therefore marked as inaccurate)? I haven't seen any secure tracks that have re-read frames listed (or are they just not listed if they are re-read and it is OK?).

From my experiments all tracks marked inaccurate have audible errors in them so I haven't seen any cases where the re-read seems to do anything.

It would be useful to have a visual representation of how the rip is progressing so for example if the first 4 or 5 tracks are bad the disc can be rejected and examined. So for example the progress bar for each rip could be coloured to represent the different states. e.g.
                            Blue = AccurateRip Match
                            Green = Secure
                            Yellow = Inaccurate
                            Red = Error

As much as I would love to leave discs in drives for an hour its not very practical to do it during the day and is better leaving them overnight if need be. Maybe there could also be a timeout on how long it takes to rip a certain track.

Comment

• EliC
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • May 2004

See the first request in this thread for a few different ways to deal with problem discs:

-more options in ripper to better support batch ripper handling of problem discs; skip tracks with > X or > X% individual bad frames in secure ripper settings, skip track if any pass is >X times realtime, more graceful rip canceling -Rip Sessions, option to skip discs already in library (based on TOC, AR DiscID,...

Comment

• Spoon
                                Administrator
                                • Apr 2002

>6. Track titles always seem to loose their sub heading part 'Its Only Rock And Roll (But I Like It)' becomes 'Its Only Rock And Roll'.

I have tested and cannot find this, are you sure that the meta data provider had this? switching on the manual review will show all meta results.
                                Spoon
                                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>