title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

dBpoweramp Batch Ripper: Discussions

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: dBpoweramp Batch Ripper: Discussions

Certain CDs have manufacturing defects, a normal CD player might sound fine, but reading the data in a CD drive, sometimes can be a stuggle.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• latefordinner
      • Dec 2007

Is there a way to edit the metadata more uniformly, as one would do in a database program? Right-clicking on each file is extremely tedious. If Freedb gets the artist name and album name wrong on a 21-track CD, for example, the user would have to right-click on every file to edit its individual artist and album data. As far as I know, there is no way to change the artist and album name globally for a given album. Are there any programs that would allow global (or at least database-like) editing? iTunes and other programs make this type of editing fairly painless.

With the manual method, even after editing the metadata, one would then have to right-click on each file name to correct the erroneous entries.

Thanks for your help.

Originally posted by Spoon
      Any CD ripper can rip live albums, gaps are prepended to tracks so if not there...there is no pause.

To edit meta data, right click on a ripped album and select show files, select files >> right click >> edit id tags.

Comment

• latefordinner
        • Dec 2007

I have discovered an additional problem with the metadata lookups. From time to time, the program (in this case using Freedb) will return large, contiguous chunks of "No metadata." For example, in my last rip of 200 CDs, CDs 50 through 90 and 190 through 200 (I am making up the numbers) returned "No metadata," but when I reripped them in a second batch, 39 out of the first 42 did successfully obtain the metadata. It's as if the lookup is timing out.

Originally posted by EliC
        I think the key is that its a batch ripper and the user does not want to sit around and watch to cancel tracks. That is why we need more power in changing settings to skip tracks and if something can be done to skip tracks or cancel rips more elegantly (software seems to temporarily freeze when stopping a rip) that would help too.

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

It is likely that freedb went offline.
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• latefordinner
            • Dec 2007

I have discovered a potentially major problem. Having ripped over 400 CDs, I finally managed to hook up my computer to my stereo to listen to the playback of these FLAC recordings. There is considerable stutter in the playback. This is so even for tracks that are listed as accurate rips. I have tried using straight analog output as well as output through a dejitterer to an external DAC. What can I do to ensure that the music plays back correctly?

Or is it possible that the rips were bad, even though they were shown as accurate or secure?

It is likely that freedb went offline.

Comment

• Spoon
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

If the rips are shown as secure they are secure 100%, accuraterip would detect stutter. Check your playback system, convert the flac to wave and play the wave, does that stutter?
              Spoon
              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• latefordinner
                • Dec 2007

I haven't yet been able to convert back to a WAV, but I did try something else. I replayed the FLAC file of the same song about a dozen times. Each time, it would stutter, but it did not stutter in the same place. I therefore believe that the stuttering problem stems from Windows Vista and not from the FLAC encoding. If the FLAC encoding were the problem, then shouldn't it stutter in the same place in the same song every time?

That said, a serious problem remains, though it does not appear to be the fault of Batchripper: how does one overcome Vista's stuttering problem, which is widely reported throughout the Web?

If the rips are shown as secure they are secure 100%, accuraterip would detect stutter. Check your playback system, convert the flac to wave and play the wave, does that stutter?

Comment

• latefordinner
                  • Dec 2007

I don't mean to be a pest, but Freedb is returning quite a few errors on artist and disc titles. If there were an easy way to edit artist and disc titles globally--both in the metadata and in file names--it would save hours of manually editing that data for each track. Is there any program that allows one to take a ripped disc and correct the artist and title globally?

Thank you for your help.

Originally posted by latefordinner
                  Is there a way to edit the metadata more uniformly, as one would do in a database program? Right-clicking on each file is extremely tedious. If Freedb gets the artist name and album name wrong on a 21-track CD, for example, the user would have to right-click on every file to edit its individual artist and album data. As far as I know, there is no way to change the artist and album name globally for a given album. Are there any programs that would allow global (or at least database-like) editing? iTunes and other programs make this type of editing fairly painless.

With the manual method, even after editing the metadata, one would then have to right-click on each file name to correct the erroneous entries.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

• peterfs
                    • Oct 2007

One way to do this is to select all the files you want changed, right click and choose "Edit ID-Tag" from the menu; this selects Edit ID-Tag for multiple files provided by dBpoweramp. Simply change the the metadata you want and hit the OK button to update the files.

Or you can use MediaMonkey to select all files in an album and right-click select Properties to change tag data. One really nice feature in MediaMonkey is that you can right-click select "Auto-Tag from Web" which parses information from Amazon and updates tags automatically. And best of all, this takes the album art if available and optionally updates each file's metadata and copies the image in the album directory as folder.jpg.

In either case, once you have the tags correct, you can use the dbPoweramp Arrange Audio utility codec to rename files en masse.

Or you can do what I did and pay for lookups using GD3; this seems to be the only higher quality service currently available for batch lookups. It works out to a bit more than $0.10 a lookup depending on how many you buy and while their database is not complete (e.g. artwork), it seems accurate, at least better than freedb. I have a lot of albums and I just didn't want to have to spend a lot of time finding and patching up incorrect metadata.

Originally posted by latefordinner
                    I don't mean to be a pest, but Freedb is returning quite a few errors on artist and disc titles. If there were an easy way to edit artist and disc titles globally--both in the metadata and in file names--it would save hours of manually editing that data for each track. Is there any program that allows one to take a ripped disc and correct the artist and title globally?

Comment

• Spoon
                      Administrator
                      • Apr 2002

Hopefully we can go live on AMG at the end of this month, give or take a few weeks.
                      Spoon
                      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• EliC
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • May 2004

Can we have an option in the batch ripper to not look up meta-data until after the rip and an option to not look it up at all unless every track is accurate/secure? This would fix the problem with potentially paying for lookups on problem discs.

Comment

• Spoon
                          Administrator
                          • Apr 2002

Batch Ripper needs the meta data before ripping, all the programs are written that way.
                          Spoon
                          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• EliC
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • May 2004

What about getting metadata from free sources, ripping the disc to a temporary directory, and if the rip is good, get the pro meta data, find the best overall data and write it to the file and move the rip to its final destination.

Comment

• Spoon
                              Administrator
                              • Apr 2002

It was not in the design spec of Batch Ripper to handle discs in the way CD Ripper does (ie re-rips, then re-rip, then re-rip), the design spec for Batch Ripper is to pass discs through with as little user interaction as possible, as quickly as possible (freedb & AMG often disagree, ie freedb can be 100% wrong because of collisions).
                              Spoon
                              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• EliC
                                dBpoweramp Guru
                                • May 2004

the design spec for Batch Ripper is to pass discs through with as little user interaction as possible, as quickly as possible
                                Which is why I am trying to come up with a solution to avoid paying for meta data that is not used.

This is also why I have tried to come up with numerous proposals that minimize the time the ripper spends on discs that do not have significant potential to be ripped without error (max re-read options, ect...)

Comment

Working...

]]>