title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Drive unusable after first read

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • flips
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Jan 2006

Drive unusable after first read

Hi!
    I have the same problem with both R11.5 and R12. I had a harddrive failure, and have now reinstalled OS and everything, same DVD drives as before, but now with new mainboard, CPU and memory. This time around I have trouble with dbPowerAmp CD Input that I did not have before:
    After the first time it accesses a CD/DVD in the drive, the drive is left unusable, I have to reboot to get the drive back (sometimes is actually disappears from Windows' list of available drive). This of course also give Explorer trouble everytime it tries to access My Computer ...
    Nero CD/DVD Speed does not have any trouble testing and measuring the drive's performance. I had another program I use for burning DVD's that does not work now. I have to burn the files it creates from Nero instead of directly as I did before.
    Any idea on what to check/how to proceed?

--
    flips
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Drive unusable after first read

Test using other rippers, if they are the same then replace CD Drive (possibly motherboard)?
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• LtData
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • May 2004

Double-check the connectors of the CD drive and motherboard, make sure the IDE/SATA cable is securely connected. Also, double-check the jumper settings on the CD drive.

Can Windows access the CD drive fine? If you play the CD with Audio CD Input (a PowerPack feature), does the drive lock up? Does it lock up when you run Audio CD Input, or just when it starts converting?

What OS are you using? Did you install the drivers for your motherboard?

Comment

• flips
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Jan 2006

EAC does not seem to have any trouble at all ... (Same with Nero 6.) The drive is the same as I used previously on my former mainboard ...

Comment

• flips
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
          • Jan 2006

I double checked the connectors and jumpers and everything when installing the new motherboard. And since EAC/Nero etc. does not have trouble, I assume that's not the problem. (Or could dBPowerAMP be more "picky"?)

I dBpowerAMP CD Ripper I have no trouble playing tracks from the Audio CD as long as it is recognized and everything. And the program recognizes the first CD ok, but when I eject that and inserts the same CD or another CD, it is not recognized. It actually makes both my DVD drives unusable until next reboot.

As for the drivers, I installed all the drivers that came with the motherboard, and there is no devices not recognized to function properly in device manager. (No "!" or "x" marks on anything/any device.)

I'm running r12 beta 2 now. When I installed r11.5 and later r12 after a full purge of everything in registry etc., accurate rip wanted more than one CD, "key discs", but after the first one, it complained that it did not have the permissions/right to read the CD drive -- as it was unavailable. So it is something in the way it accesses the drives, that makes the drives unavailable.

I just discovered one interesting fact, though:
          When I remove one disc and insert another, it's unavailable, I'm returned to the insert disc/choose drive dialog. But if I click the "Options" button, the program starts working, and after half a minute or so, it now recognizes the CD. (So I have to do this between each CD.)
          I do get Inaccurate scores on CDs, though, but I'm not sure if that's related or not to the problems. (Nero found the drive to have full score on accuracy.) As long as the CDDB entry is not correct, maybe the AccurateRip db may be off as well ...

Did that make more sense? Give you more hints to what might be wrong?

--
          flips
          The r12 interface/look and fell is very nice, btw!

Comment

• bhoar
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Sep 2006

How are these drives connected?

Motherboard IDE? Motherboard SATA? PCI Card IDE? PCI Card SATA?

USB? Firewire? eSATA?

If IDE, are they on the same channel (one master/one slave), or separate channels?

-brendan
            Last edited by bhoar; December 29, 2006, 12:33 AM.

Comment

• Bill41
              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
              • Nov 2004

[QUOTE=flips]

I just discovered one interesting fact, though:
              When I remove one disc and insert another, it's unavailable, I'm returned to the insert disc/choose drive dialog. But if I click the "Options" button, the program starts working, and after half a minute or so, it now recognizes the CD. (So I have to do this between each CD.)

Try using "Refesh" button.

Comment

• Spoon
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

Make sure you do not have the option checked 'prevent autorun on all cd drives' that would stop the system from seeing a new cd.
                Spoon
                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• flips
                  dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                  • Jan 2006

The drives are connected to the motherboard's IDE controller, being master and slave (as there is only one IDE channel on my new motherboard). As for the refresh button, I have tried it, but I am returned to the "Insert Audio CD into"/select drive dialog.
                  The problem goes deeper. The drive is left unusable after I eject the first CD (which it recognizes automatically). And explorer.exe hangs if I then open My Computer. But hitting "options" fixes the problem until I eject the CD again ...

Originally posted by Spoon
                  Make sure you do not have the option checked 'prevent autorun on all cd drives' that would stop the system from seeing a new cd.
                  This option is not selected.

Comment

• bhoar
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Sep 2006

Spoon - how about an option to log drive commands/responses to a file with timestamps? Perhaps skipping the larger data transactions (reads during ripping)?

Might help with debugging.

-brendan

Comment

• Spoon
                      Administrator
                      • Apr 2002

Apart from time stamps, already done (enable debugging in dMC Configuration) - it is designed to find where crashes and locks occur.
                      Spoon
                      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• bhoar
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Sep 2006

Perhaps flips can submit the logs, then, to see if the drive is returning any odd responses?

-brendan

Comment

• flips
                          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                          • Jan 2006

I found a solution:
                          Options -> Communication:
                          "SCSI Pass Through (SPT)" was selected.
                          I changed that to:
                          "ASPI [Ahead Nero]", and now it seems to be working

Maybe WinXP has some trouble somehow, but then EAC and other apps should have problems, I thought ...

--
                          flips

Comment

• flips
                            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                            • Jan 2006

+ a quick question: The album art is not stored anywhere locally, or is it?

Comment

• LtData
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • May 2004

By default, the album-art is embedded in the file. There is an option to put the album art as a folder.jpg picture in the folder of the ripped music.

Comment

Working...

]]>