title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Multiprocessor question

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • edjahman
    • Jan 2006

Multiprocessor question

How about utilizing a dual core to convert audio files faster instead of into 2 different formats at once. I would like to convert from .flac to .mp3 faster, for example, using both cores.

I love my dbpoweramp BTW. I've been using it for quite some time.

Thank You!

--EJM
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: Multiprocessor question

That might happen with the new dMC r12 (alpha is out in this forum) but I'll defer to Spoon for this one.

Comment

• LtData
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • May 2004

NOW I remember the reason this hasn't been done yet. Each codec would have to be multi-threaded. This means that if the source code for the codec itself isn't set up for multiple threads, it would have to be rewritten by Spoon. I would guess that would be far too time consuming for him to do that, work on the other dB products, work his job, AND spend time with his family.
      Now, there may be some codecs that are written to be multi-threaded, but other than that your best hope is to ask the original codec programmers themselves to make their code multi-thread friendly.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

Such an addition is planned for R12.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• LtData
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • May 2004

Now that I think about it, there is a way to use multiple cores without requiring a rewrite to the source code: encode one file per core. Granted, it won't be double the speed, but it will be faster than one-at-a-time.

As if I wasn't excited enough about dMC r12...

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

Exactly, only that lame_enc.dll is not multi-thread capable, so we might drop that and use lame internally (at the same time exposing more options).
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• edjahman
              • Jan 2006

Thanks Guys.

--EJM

Comment

Working...

]]>