title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

How can I get 5.1 from my DVD to DMC?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JoeRip
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast

• Dec 2004

How can I get 5.1 from my DVD to DMC?

I have a DVD that says it is "Mixed in 5.1 Surround Sound and PCM Stereo".

I want to create WMA 5.1 files from the audio on this DVD. I'm using ImToo's DVD Audio Ripper to rip .WAV files from the AC3 6ch track.

When I try to convert these WAV files to WMA 9.1 5.1 Channel using DMC, I get the "Cannot open the codec" error which suggests that the WAV file does not actually have 6 channels.

So:

1. can WAV files actually have 6 channels? Or is DVD Audio Ripper reducing the channels to 2 when it does it's own conversion?

2. if that is the case, is there a DVD Audio Ripper out there that can get all 6 channels for me? If so, what file format will it need to convert to, to preserve all 6 channels?

Thanks,

JoeRip
  • ChristinaS
    dBpoweramp Guru

• Apr 2004

Re: How can I get 5.1 from my DVD to DMC?

Is that wav 24 bits? What is the frequency? Actually what properties do you see on hover for that wav?

If you need to change both bits and frequency to convert the wav to wma, then you can run into problems.

Did you enable professional frequency ?

Comment

• JoeRip
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast

• Dec 2004

Okay, I hadn't thought of that :o

The properties are:

Bit Rate: 1411kb
      Audio Sample Size: 16 bit
      Channels: 2 (Stereo)
      Audio Sample Rate: 44kHz
      Audio format: PCM

So, Audio Ripper is only putting out a 2 Channel Stereo. Crap. Any idea on how I can get all 6 channels off that disk, and into DMC?

Comment

• JoeRip
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast

• Dec 2004

All right, I've taken a different tack, but it's still not working.

Here's what I am now doing:

1. Using two different tools (DVD Decryptor, and IMToo's DVD Ripper) I'm exporting the AC3 track out of the DVD. The track I'm removing has the following characteristics:

Sampling Frequency: 48 kHz
        Bit Rate: 448 kbps
        Audio Coding Mode: 3/2
        Channels: 5 (6 including LFE)
        Low Frequency Effects: Yes
        Center Mix Level: 0.707 (-3.0 dB)
        Surround Mix Level: 0.707 (-3.0 dB)

Both of these tools give me a file which appears to have maintained these properties. I get the same failures with the files from both tools, so I don't think it's these tools that is causing the problem.

2. I've installed the dMC DirectShow Filter, and the AC3 DirectShow filter (from SourceForge, as referenced in the dMC DS Filter page).

3. Leaving AC3 Filter at default settings (Speakers = "2/0 Stereo", Sample Format = "PCM 16bit"), I try to convert my new AC3 file to a TEST Filter. No errors.

4. Without changing the AC3 Filter, I convert to WAVE format, with all settings to "As Source". This creates a fine WAVE file, but of course it's only 2 channels, not the 6 I want.

5. Back at the AC3 Configuration, I change settings to Speaker = "3+2 SW 5.1 Channels", Sample Format = "PCM 16bit"

6. Convert to TEST Filter, error:
        "The CODEC required to decompress 'C:\foo.AC3' could not be opened.
        Unable to insert SampleGrabber."

The problem comes down to this: if I change the settings on the AC3 Filter to anything above 2 channels (which the AC3 Config dialog calls 'Speakers'), or any Sample Format other than "16 bit", I get that same error: Unable to insert SampleGrabber.

Spoon, this sounds like a problem in the dMC DirectShow Filter.

Comment

• gameplaya15143
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast

• Sep 2005

to turn a 6 channel ac3 into a 6 channel wav use besweet or headac3he

Comment

• JoeRip
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast

• Dec 2004

Thanks, I'll look at these other tools, but this is what I bought dMC for. I'll report the DS Codec bug in the support forums.

Consider this "How do I" closed.

Comment

Working...

]]>