title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

what isthe format of store bought cd's

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wayneba
    • Oct 2005

what isthe format of store bought cd's

bought a 2000 dodge truck, it plays store bought cds but not my home made mp3s. can i convert them to another format so they play in truck. if so which one an any help would be greatly appreciated
  • ChristinaS
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2004

Re: what isthe format of store bought cd's

That's what is called Audio CD. Mp3 cd's are not the same thing, and only recently are there car cd players capable of playing them.

On an audio cd you can only have about a maximum of one hours of audio.

You can use dCW to burn audio cd's, just select that format when you create a new cd.

Comment

• Wayne
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Aug 2002

I think that standard Audio CD can have up to 80 minutes on music on them.

Wayne

Comment

• xoas
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2002

To expand a bit:
        To create an Audio CD (meaning in standard cd format, same as store-bought cd's),
        you need a cd burner and a burning program (both of which Wayneba should have to have mp3 discs);
        Unlike other conversions, conversion to standard Audio CD format takes place in the burning process;
        Different burning programs (and even different versions of the same burning program) may identify "Audio CD" (again, the standard store-bought cd format) as "Music CD", "Audio CD", or "Standard Audio CD" or similar term;
        Burning programs (even different versions of the same burning program) differ in terms of what type of source files they can convert and burn to Audio CD format-the earliest burning programs required that files be in wave format before burning to Audio CD, many (most?) nowadays seem to be able to convert mp3 files to Audio CD in one user step, some can convert from other formats as well (dBpowerAMP CD Writer, or dCW, is particularly versatile in this respect);
        If you burner program requires that files be converted to wave format before burning to standard cd, you can use a converter program such as dBpowerAMP Music Converter (dMC), to convert your mp3 or other audio files to wave, or upgrade/change burner programs.

A few other considerations:
        Some cd players have trouble reading and playing discs burned on regular CD-R discs (sometimes referred to as data discs). Unless a cd player has been designed to do so, it will not be able to read/play a cd-rw (or re-writable) cd disc. A cd player that can play such discs will pretty much always have a label saying it can play such discs. CD players that will play most standard cd-r discs will often be labelled as such.
        If your cd player is not labelled as playing cd-r discs, you will generally find that it will play discs identified as "Music CD-R" or "Audio CD-R" without problem. These discs generally cost a bit more than standard computer cd-r discs. You may well also find that some brands of standard cd-r discs will play in your cd player of choice, but this may involve some trial and error work.

Although most cd-discs are labelled as suporting 80 minutes of music (if burned as a standard audio cd), you may find that you cannot get quite that much playing time onto the disc. As your disc's playing time gets up to around 70 minutes or beyond, some cd players seem to have progressive difficulty in reading tracks beyond that point.

Best wishes,
        Bill

Comment

• neilthecellist
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Dec 2004

Great solutions guys, but lemme take this from an idealogical approach:

Get an mp3/wma/(maybe even ogg vorbis!) CD Player for your truck. If you stick to the Audio CD Format strategy that the three people above have suggested, you'll suffer through listening to only 80 minutes of music, and then having to switch to a new CD just to hear another 80 minutes of different music. Organization is also difficult with Audio CD's, considering that you can sometimes barely fit two artist's albums onto that CD.

Granted, Christina, xoas, and Wayne brought up very good advice - short term advice, that is. For now, you are saving lots of money on not investing in a MP3/WMA/Ogg Vorbis CD player for your car, but in the long run, consider how much money you'll be dumping out of your wallet to spend on obselete, one-time use CD-R's, that, granted, burn at really fast speeds (48-56X these days), but still put a pain on your wallet.

With MP3/WMA/Ogg Vorbis CD players, you can burn your media files onto CDRW's, which stands for Compact Disc Re-Writeable, meaning that you can burn media files onto the CDRW, and later, if you're sick and tired of listening to the same CD over and over again, you can simply erase the whole CDRW, and reburn new media files onto them. Thus, this investment makes sense because you only have to pay once for say, one stack of 50 CD-RW's that burn at 12X, for roughly $4.99 American (which is what I paid for), whereas if you stuck with the one-time use CD-R's, you would pay roughly $4.99 American for a 100-stack, but since you can only use those CD-R's once, you are, again, limited to listening to a particular selection of music before having to switch with another CD.

Let us not forget that CD-R's, while they are sold in more numbers and are cheaper, they come with a whopping list of disadvantages as well. Here's a list format of why CD-R's are not so great as you might think they are:
          • One time usage.
          • No erasing allowed.
          • The more CD-R's you buy, the more plastic you are wasting from Earth.
          • Even with the Shuffle function, you're limited to around 30 tracks on a CD. A CD-RW with mp3's, wma's and Ogg Vorbis files can get you into the hundreds of files to Shuffle through, if not thousands.
          • 80 minutes? That's it? How about 480-800 minutes? You can only get that on a CD-RW with mp3's.
          • No multi-sessions? What if I burned 70 minutes of music, then I downloaded this really cool song that I wanted to add to that CD-R? I'm not allowed to, because CD-R's with Audio CD format don't allow multi-sessions. I have to use another CD-R to burn the existing 70 minutes of music onto, and then add on the new song I just downloaded. What a resource waste. :mad:
          Thus, if you have the money handy at the moment, get a CD player for your car that not only plays Audio CD's, but also MP3's, WMA's, and if possible, Ogg Vorbis files. If you don't though, cash in on one-time use CD-R's that will only give you a short period time of music fun. Cash in on a crummy, obselete piece of technology that is being swept by new, re-usable media based technology, if not the even newer, hard drive based audio listening such as the iPod and Rio Karma.

Omigod.... I just wrote an essay. A bit disorganized, but an essay.... O_O Xoas writes more, but yeah...

Comment

• ChristinaS
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Apr 2004

I don't know about you, but I can't listen to one hour of stuff let alone 100 hours.

It's all a matter of taste and habit in the end. I like to focus on my selection of music. Can't focus on thousands played randomly. Then it becomes muzak :smile2:

Personally I'm just not into endless, random, gapless music. I can see it working for a dj maybe.

So I'm old-fashioned. I like to pop a cd in the drive and know it's has 10 or 15 specific tracks on it and I don't have to fumble to find one of hundreds.

An audio cd is the most portable of media. I don't have to worry if my aunt's cd player will play it or not. Auntie's not heard of ogg vorbis (and wouldn't care one hoot) and mp3 player is just another way to identify a teen-ager for her :D (yeah, auntie's a generic aunt, who's even older than I am )

Kidding aside, to each his own. :D

Comment

• Wayne
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Aug 2002

I have a MP3/Audio CD player in my car and I use it primarily to play MP3 CDs. This allows me to cut down on the number of CDs I have to burn as I can have a number of albums on a single CDR/CDRW. But that is just my preference.

Wayne

Comment

• gameplaya15143
                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                • Sep 2005

audio cd format:
                raw PCM, 2 channels, 16bit, 44100Hz

to burn an audio cd, use any cd burning program, you can even use dbpoweramp's own cd burning plugin

Comment

Working...

]]>