title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

DVD audio

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • medicsix
    • Sep 2005

DVD audio

Is it possible to convert mp3 or wave to DVD audio so it can be played on the average home DVD player
  • ChristinaS
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2004

Re: DVD audio

Originally posted by Myself and redfaced for being wrong - Please ignore
    I don't think the average home dvd player can play actual dvd-audio disks. It can play dvd-video and audio cd's and mp3 cd's.

The players for dvd-audio are rather specialized from what I've seen. Not sure a regular dvd burner can handle making dvd-audio either.
    In any case, dBpowerAMP does not at this time support dvd's either for burning or for ripping.

Your mp3's that you want to convert to dvd-audio will not sound any better.
    Even just making an audio cd out of mp3's assumes conversion to 16-bit wav stereo 44.1KHz. The wav will not be any better sounding than the mp3 it came from, but it is required for burning an audio cd.

Likewise dvd-audio requires 24-bit waves, 5.1 channels and a higher frequency. You can convert to that kind of wav, but again you are not actually improving the sound, only making your files much bigger.

Since a regular dvd player usually can play both mp3's and standard audio cd's, your choices are to burn an audio cd with them or burn an mp3 cd and let the dvd player play those.
    Last edited by ChristinaS; September 14, 2005, 07:19 PM.

Comment

• medicsix
      • Sep 2005

It's the amount of music you can get on a DVD that interests me,it would be nice to just put a disk in and have it play most of the day.

Comment

• ChristinaS
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by medicsix
        It's the amount of music you can get on a DVD that interests me,it would be nice to just put a disk in and have it play most of the day.
        DVD is not supported yet so that's out.
        Try with Nero and burn a data dvd with mp3's - I think it can do that. Not sure if dvd players would play them though.

Or burn an mp3 cd and you can still put tons of music on it and it can play for hours too in your dvd player :D

Say you have mp3's at around 7MB each - maybe high bitrate mp3's like 192kbps. 4 minute songs. You can have 100 of them on a 700MB cd . That would play for 400 minutes - 6-7 hours. Not too shabby I'd think.

At lower bitrate like the usual 128kbps you can have about 10 hours.

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

It is a product we hope to have in the next 6 months, most DVD players are able to play DVD-Audio and if your audio is 16bit 44KHz then you can fit hours and hours on one DVD.
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• ChristinaS
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Apr 2004

Oops! I was thinking about SA-CD :o

Comment

• Bill41
              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
              • Nov 2004

Originally posted by medicsix
              Is it possible to convert mp3 or wave to DVD audio so it can be played on the average home DVD player
              This will do it but it's not free.

Comment

• neilthecellist
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Dec 2004

You could just burn mp3's onto the DVD.... I mean, like Christina said, burning them as DVD audio won't make them sound better.

Furthermore, you'll have less space for audio if you burn the DVD as a DVD-Audio disc.

Comment

Working...

]]>