title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

how do i defrag and what does 'rendering for DSP effects' do

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • neilthecellist
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Dec 2004

how do i defrag and what does 'rendering for DSP effects' do

Originally posted by christinas
    You may also be due for a defragmentation of your hard disk.
    speaking of defragmentation.... what's the best defragmenter out there? The one that comes with Win XP Pro sucks. It leaves so many gaping holes = not good

Originally posted by SPOON (da man)
    Check you are converting to the same frequency as the source audio, changing frequencies can be slower. Look out for an action: 'rendering for DSP effects' if you see this then more work is being does.
    what does 'rendering for DSP effects' do? I don't even see an option for that anywhere...:confused:
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: Conversions slower than they used to be

Originally posted by neilthecellist
    speaking of defragmentation.... what's the best defragmenter out there? The one that comes with Win XP Pro sucks. It leaves so many gaping holes = not good
    Most people say Diskeeper is good. In fact, the XP built-in defragmenter uses a stripped down version of Diskeeper

Originally posted by neilthecellist
    what does 'rendering for DSP effects' do? I don't even see an option for that anywhere...:confused:
    That's what the status window says when its applying DSP effects, mabye? I don't know, I've never used DSP effects

Comment

• neilthecellist
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Dec 2004

Originally posted by LtData
      Most people say Diskeeper is good. In fact, the XP built-in defragmenter uses a stripped down version of Diskeeper
      exactly. stripped down. is there a GOOD defragmenter?

also, why would DSP effects cause conversions to be slower?

Comment

• ChristinaS
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2004

I think defragmenting has to be done by the Windows defrag program, probably not much choice there, though I may be wrong. Gaping holes are not a problem, many tiny little holes are a problem.

DSP effects very definitely slow down the conversion process. The more effects you use and the more elaborate they are, the slower.

Comment

• LtData
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • May 2004

Originally posted by ChristinaS
          I think defragmenting has to be done by the Windows defrag program, probably not much choice there, though I may be wrong. Gaping holes are not a problem, many tiny little holes are a problem.
          There are third-party programs that defrag your hard-drive. And Neil: the full version of Diskeeper is normally regarded as one of the best degragmenter

Comment

• adaywayne
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Nov 2004

Originally posted by LtData
            There are third-party programs that defrag your hard-drive. And Neil: the full version of Diskeeper is normally regarded as one of the best degragmenter
            I love it....set it and forget it they say, and that seems to be true. I have even had it run whilst transferring audio from LP to CD or doing other audio projects such as burning a CD.. However, I don't recommend that (audio processing is veryy CPU iintensive) so I disable it before starting such projects.

Comment

• LtData
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • May 2004

Originally posted by adaywayne
              I love it....set it and forget it they say, and that seems to be true. I have even had it run whilst transferring audio from LP to CD or doing other audio projects such as burning a CD.. However, I don't recommend that (audio processing is veryy CPU iintensive) so I disable it before starting such projects.
              I have "Set It and Forget It" on screensaver mode. :D

Comment

Working...

]]>