title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Question on naming a rip containing multiple artists

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Theleb_Kaarna
    • Jan 2017

Question on naming a rip containing multiple artists

My first post here! And I'm totally new to dBpoweramp!

So I'm about to begin ripping my huge CD collection (to FLAC) to a music library on a dedicated SSD. And right-off-the-bat, my first CD has posed an organizational challenge. The CD is: (artist) "John Abercrombie, Dave Holland, Jack DeJohnette" - (album) "Gateway 2". So I assume that if I rip this "as-is", it will alpha organize under "J" (for John) and not "A" (for Abercrombie) in my library(?). My main question is, is there a way to retain the first-name-first, last-name-last (as it appears by default), YET have it appear in my music library under "A" and not "J"?

I see in the lower left corner of dBpoweramp under the "Tags" tab a line entitled: "Artist Sort" where it lists the last-name-first for the three artists of this recording, but it's greyed-out. Is this somehow the key? If not and there's no other way to get the recording to be listed in the "A's" (and not the "J's") than to manually change the artist name to reflect last-name-first (ie "Abercrombie, John; Holland, Dave; DeJohnette, Jack"), will that screw-up the Metadata that's collected by Discogs, etc?

Sorry if obvious and I missed. Thanks in advance!
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Question on naming a rip containing multiple artists

If it is greyed out then you have the configuration set not to write it, look in CD Ripper Options >> Metadata & ID Tags

however your player has to be compatible with artistsort.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Theleb_Kaarna
      • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Spoon
      If it is greyed out then you have the configuration set not to write it, look in CD Ripper Options >> Metadata & ID Tags

however your player has to be compatible with artistsort.
      Thanks for the response Spoon. I use JRiver, so I think it will be compatible. OK, so I went into options and changed "Album Artist Sort" and it's no longer 'greyed-out' (in the lower-left center). And it reflects "last-name-first", etc. Ripped that first CD Just fine. I'm about to rip a second CD: "John Abercrombie, Dan Wall, Adam Nussbaum". For this one, artistsort is NOT showing-up in the lower-left center window at all, not even greyed-out (even though the artist & album are structured similarly).

1. Is the reason because this particular CD doesn't have any artistsort metadata collected (or any artistsort data embedded in the CD itself?)? I see I can add in artistsort manually, but maybe this won't do any good?

2. Will HDCDs behave the same way (ie activate HDCD in options, and the tag will appear in the lower-left center when I load an HDCD)? Further, is there any harm in leaving HDCD's tag activated in the options all the time, even when ripping Red Book CDs?

Appreciate your patience. I'm old, this is new to me, and I'm a perfectionist. Just trying to grasp the relationship here. Thanks in advance!
      Last edited by Theleb_Kaarna; January 18, 2017, 02:52 PM.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

The data is supplied from the online databases, for that disc it might not have any. However you are best setting manually.

HDCD you can rip as 16 bit and leave the decoding to a compatible player.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>