title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Installing Apple Lossless Codec on Win 8 64 bits

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KevinGW
    • Apr 2009

Installing Apple Lossless Codec on Win 8 64 bits

I am trying to install Apple Lossless Codec on Win 8 64 bits. I followed the instructions but had to install the codec in x86ProgramFile directory. The exe file I put in the encoder file will not unzip. Will this work in Win 8 64 bit?
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Installing Apple Lossless Codec on Win 8 64 bits

You run the EXE file by double clicking it, it will then install.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• metalbob666
      • Jun 2013

I am having a similar issue, but with Windows 7. I've used dbpoweramp for a few years and had it installed on this same machine under Windows 7, as well as after upgrading to Windows 8. I've decided to downgrade back to Windows 7, but my option to use ALAC is greyed out. I repeatedly follow the codec install instructions and I'm not having any success. ALAC worked perfectly fine before I reinstalled after the downgrade.

Bob

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

If you have R14.4 then Apple Lossless encoder is installed by default with dBpoweramp, there is nothing more to install.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• BrodyBoy
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by metalbob666
          I am having a similar issue, but with Windows 7. I've used dbpoweramp for a few years and had it installed on this same machine under Windows 7, as well as after upgrading to Windows 8. I've decided to downgrade back to Windows 7, but my option to use ALAC is greyed out. I repeatedly follow the codec install instructions and I'm not having any success. ALAC worked perfectly fine before I reinstalled after the downgrade.

Bob
          Weird. I've moved my installations around a lot and never had that problem with the "built-in" codecs. Is the ALAC codec listed as expected in the Configuration window?

Comment

• metalbob666
            • Jun 2013

I am using an older version that I purchased a few years ago and re-downloaded. Apple Lossless appears in the drop down, but it is greyed out. I didn't have this problem just recently when I did the same thing to install it on the same PC when it had Win8 on it.

Comment

• Spoon
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

If you update to R14 Apple Lossless is included by default.
              Spoon
              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• metalbob666
                • Jun 2013

Originally posted by Spoon
                If you update to R14 Apple Lossless is included by default.
                Do I have to pay again to move up to R14?

Comment

• Spoon
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 2002

Check here (if you have power pack no, if you have earlier reference version there is an upgrade fee):

Re-issue registered version of dBpoweramp can be downloaded from this page:

Spoon
                  www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• djdust
                    • Feb 2008

Hi all, I've got a similar problem with my recently brand new PC that I installed dbPoweramp Music Converter on. It's been fine up until today where, all of a sudden, the Apple Lossless codec is greyed out when trying to encode files. I checked in the "encoder" directory and there was *no* "Apple Lossless.dll" file. I tried copying it from my old PC and it makes the option available again, however, when I right-click and convert files now, the resultant files lose all their tagging.. :(

I tried uninstalling the software, rebooting the PC and then re-installing, but it made no difference. It installe with the above file missing. Anyone got any idea what the hell is going on, it's driving me nuts?? :(

Comment

• Spoon
                      Administrator
                      • Apr 2002

Which version of dBpoweramp are you installing?

If R14 or R15 and the encoder is being removed, check your anti virus program.
                      Spoon
                      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• djdust
                        • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Spoon
                        Which version of dBpoweramp are you installing?

If R14 or R15 and the encoder is being removed, check your anti virus program.
                        OK, a bit confused now. On my old PC I'm not sure what version I was running. On the new PC, it seems I've only got
                        dBpoweramp *Music Converter R13.5 (Registered)* installed, not the full version of dBpoweramp. I thought I'd purchased a lifetime licence 6 years ago...? Anyway, should that make any difference? I'm converting files by right-clicking on them and choosing the relevant option....

Comment

• mville
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by djdust
                          On the new PC, it seems I've only got
                          dBpoweramp *Music Converter R13.5 (Registered)* installed, not the full version of dBpoweramp. I thought I'd purchased a lifetime licence 6 years ago...?
                          dBpoweramp Music Converter R13.5 (Registered) is a full version (32-bit) and I believe it does come with a lifetime licence for all versions of R13.x (which you say you purchased 6 years ago).

However, it is an old version and the latest version is R15.3 (64-bit), which you do not have a licence for. To get the latest version, you can simply upgrade, for a small fee.

Finally, I have no idea why, all of a sudden, the Apple Lossless codec would be greyed out in dBpoweramp R13.5. Maybe you have inadvertently deleted it or installed other software (anti-virus or security software) which has blocked or removed it. I don't know why it does not re-install, either, but this could also be related to anti-virus or security software blocking it.
                          Last edited by mville; August 17, 2015, 01:49 AM.

Comment

• richardodn
                            • Aug 2015

Originally posted by djdust
                            OK, a bit confused now. On my old PC I'm not sure what version I was running. On the new PC, it seems I've only got
                            dBpoweramp *Music Converter R13.5 (Registered)* installed, not the full version of dBpoweramp. I thought I'd purchased a lifetime licence 6 years ago...? Anyway, should that make any difference? I'm converting files by right-clicking on them and choosing the relevant option....
                            After doing a clean install of Win 10, I am also in the process of installing registered R13.5. Run the install as before and allow it to install the core product. The ALAC codec is not part of this product. Clicking the link in the codecs configuration page takes you to the codec install page for the R15 release. That page does not have a download for the ALAC codec. Fortunately I had backed up the codec installer "dBpoweramp-Codec-m4a.r9.exe." If you haven't backed up the codec installer, you'll have to locate it from somewhere or upgrade the software. I'll likely upgrade myself next time I sit down to rip some CDs.

Comment

• andreac
                              • Dec 2015

Hi,
                              same problem for me: new installation on Windows 7 of an owned R13.5 version.

Where can I download codec installer?

(I prefer to not pay at the moment for a software version upgrade)

Thanks,
                              Andrea

Comment

Working...

]]>