title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

How can I rip an HDCD encoded disc and then play it back from my computer in HDCD?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • minder
    • Mar 2013

How can I rip an HDCD encoded disc and then play it back from my computer in HDCD?

I own a Marantz DV9500 which does not decode HDCD and have been told that with DBpoweramp I can rip HDCD encoded stuff (in this case Joni Mitchell's Court and Sparks) and, provided I do the rip properly, I can then play it out of my computer (using my Meridian Explorer as the DAC) and get the full benefits of the HDCD sound. Wondering if there's an easy way to do it. I've read through some stuff here but, unfortunately, I'm pretty technically illiterate. Does anyone have a simple, step by step method for doing what I describe above? Thanks!
  • Porcus
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Feb 2007

Re: How can I rip an HDCD encoded disc and then play it back from my computer in HDCD

As long as you rip to lossless, you can safely rip without any HDCD detection applied, because it is flagged in-signal and can always be detected and applied later. I did convert mine upon ripping, which I now regret, and I have started re-ripping those when I find them. There are a few threads on that by now -- first search brought me these two:
    Hello! I'm planning on ripping a bunch of cd's using dBpoweramp and I want to rip everything perfectly the first time. I was taking a look at all of the DSP effects but now I'm left with a few questions. 1. What is the difference between the Hidden Track Silence Removal and the Silence Track Deletion DSPs? I get what they

I apologize in advance for this lengthy post and its wordy questions, but after a lot of reading I'm still unsure what the best general approach is for ripping HDCDs, and from what I can tell there is no FAQ or definitive best practices recommended by illustrate. This might be a bit pedantic, but I'm really hoping those of you

In order to apply HDCD on-the-fly upon playback, you need a player that detects and decodes HDCD. My solution is the foobar2000 player with the HDCD component: http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_hdcd . The catch is that this player does usually not appeal to those who think of themselves as technically illiterate -- it is not hard to set up, but you won't get it flashy without working a bit (or copying someone else's install). But if all you want is to select and play, then it is not very hard. Also, Windows Media Player supports HDCD (HDCD is owned by Microsoft), but then you need to install the relevant lossless codecs: http://xiph.org/dshow/downloads/

It should be mentioned that many HDCDs don't use a single HDCD feature -- the CD just says "I'm a HDCD, and the following features are used:" [and then nothing]. The important HDCD feature is the peak extension, because without it, HDCD-encoded CDs get their top 9 dB dynamics squeezed down to a third. (BTW, there is one HDCD feature, called the transient filters, which you will not get through software -- neither upon ripping nor later -- only through a DAC with a HDCD chip.)
    Last edited by Porcus; March 24, 2013, 11:45 PM.

Comment

• minder
      • Mar 2013

Re: How can I rip an HDCD encoded disc and then play it back from my computer in HDCD

Thanks a lot for this. I've been using winamp as my player lately. Do you know if that decodes HDCD? If not, are you saying that the simplest way for me to do this is just do a regular rip in dbpoweramp and then, when I want to play the disc, install the Windows Media Player plug in and play from Windows Media, through my Meridian Explorer, into preamp and out through speakers?

Comment

• garym
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Nov 2007

that would work. Foobar2000 also has a component that allows playback of an HDCD FLAC file. Or you can create a separate version of your original rip that uses the HDCD DSP as outlined in the thread below in order to play back on a nonHDCD playback system. (p.s. Your mileage may vary, but if you expect night and day improvement (or even *any* improvement) on playing back a true HDCD, you are likely be disappointed. Of course there may be some exceptio0ns, but I wouldn't recommend working too hard at doing all this)

I apologize in advance for this lengthy post and its wordy questions, but after a lot of reading I'm still unsure what the best general approach is for ripping HDCDs, and from what I can tell there is no FAQ or definitive best practices recommended by illustrate. This might be a bit pedantic, but I'm really hoping those of you

Comment

• minder
          • Mar 2013

Originally posted by garym
          that would work. Foobar2000 also has a component that allows playback of an HDCD FLAC file. Or you can create a separate version of your original rip that uses the HDCD DSP as outlined in the thread below in order to play back on a nonHDCD playback system. (p.s. Your mileage may vary, but if you expect night and day improvement (or even *any* improvement) on playing back a true HDCD, you are likely be disappointed. Of course there may be some exceptio0ns, but I wouldn't recommend working too hard at doing all this)

http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthre...best+practices
          Yes... Part of why I want to do this is to see if I can really heare a difference with HDCD. Thanks!

Comment

Working...

]]>