title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Nas to ipod classic

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lyric
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Nov 2010

Nas to ipod classic

Hi,
    I have bought an ipod classic because of its capacity and i was wondering is there any simple way to take all the lossless files on my Nas ( about 900 cds) and copy them to my itunes library on my PC and obviously they would become mp3 of what ever quality.
    I have a ripping Nas from Tranquil ( Rs3) I run asset premium 4.1, Whs is my interface with the Nas so please how can I do This, simple baby steps please.:smile2:

Lyric
  • garym
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Nov 2007

Re: Nas to ipod classic

Originally posted by lyric
    Hi,
    I have bought an ipod classic because of its capacity and i was wondering is there any simple way to take all the lossless files on my Nas ( about 900 cds) and copy them to my itunes library on my PC and obviously they would become mp3 of what ever quality.
    I have a ripping Nas from Tranquil ( Rs3) I run asset premium 4.1, Whs is my interface with the Nas so please how can I do This, simple baby steps please.:smile2:

Lyric
    open up dbpa batch converter, select the directory and subdirectories containing your lossless files, select CONVERT, then select mp3(lame), and then (I suggest) quality of -V3 or -V2, then set the dynamic naming structure of where you want these files to end up (typically same structure just different location, eg., c:\flac\artist\album\tracks becomes c:\mp3\artist\album\tracks

So when done you'll have an exact mp3 copy of all your FLAC files with artwork, tags, etc.. Then you'll point your itunes library at this directory and use this in your ipod.

Comment

• lyric
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Nov 2010

Ok, I dont have db poweramp batch ripper but dont mind buying it for this task as my server is a ripping nas with its own software.
      Thanks for the information, i didnt realise i could get itunes to point to a library, but then I never never use itunes .

regards

Lyric

Comment

• garym
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Nov 2007

do you have dbpoweramp at all? Note that Batch Converter (not batch ripper!) is one of the programs that comes with it. look in dbpoweramp subdirectory for batch converter.

and yes, in itunes, you tell it your music library location (eg, c:\music\mp3 if your mp3 files are at "c:\music\mp3\artists\album\tracks...", then itunes reads all these into its own database. Then with itunes you sync with your ipod, etc. Or one can use other ways to get the music on the classic, but I just use itunes for this only (putting music on ipods, ipads, iphones).

Comment

• lyric
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
          • Nov 2010

This sounds brilliant and just what I want. No I dont have dbpoweramp, I have just got asset premium on my nas 4.1 I use the ripping software that Tranquil ( server manufacturer) bundle with the product.
          Another question, sorry, how long do you think it would take to A: convert the 900cds to mp3, B: for the ipod to sync 900 mp3 cds and C: I assume that all the mp3 copies of the Nas is stored on my windows 7 laptop.

Should I use Dbpoweramp? what advantages would it give me?

Regards

lyric

Comment

• garym
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Nov 2007

1. 900 cds convert from lossless files to mp3....select all these files within Batch Converter, hit convert, and go to bed. Probably will be done in the morning, or if not sometime the next day.
            2. Synching from itunes to ipod the first time might take something like 3 hours
            3. The mp3 copies will be where you put them. You can put them on your NAS, you can put them on your laptop, or you can put them on a USB external HD attached to your laptop. I suspect it will be a lot faster to create the mp3 files and save them to your laptop (or attached USB drive) rather than creating initally on your NAS. But when done, you can certainly copy the new mp3 directory across to your NAS. Itunes running on your laptop can still point toward the NAS for the music library.
            4. Yes, I think you should use dbpa. It is a powerful, easy to use ripper/converter. There are other choices. The only one I would suggest is foobar2000. But it will be more complicated to initially use/setup for converting. Not overly hard, but based on your questions I suspect you'd like it to be as straightforward as possible. Plus for ripping, it is clearly one of the best approaches (so any new CDs, etc. I'd rip with dbpa).

Comment

• lyric
              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
              • Nov 2010

Thank you very very much for your well explained replies, my iPod classic should arrive in the post from apple tomorrow. I hope I get peace at the weekend to get all your suggestions sorted, when I do I will post just to let you and others know how I got on

Regards

Lyric

Comment

• garym
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Nov 2007

Thank you very very much for your well explained replies, my iPod classic should arrive in the post from apple tomorrow. I hope I get peace at the weekend to get all your suggestions sorted, when I do I will post just to let you and others know how I got on

Regards

Lyric
                Ok. Let us know if you have any questions.

Comment

• BrodyBoy
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Sep 2011

Regards

Lyric
                  Can I interject with one suggestion? Rather than batch convert all 900 CDs right away, experiment on a few different types (solo CDs, multi-CD sets, compilations, etc) and sync them to the iPod Classic to make sure that the tags work the way you want.

Those iPods are a little quirky in that they use some tags differently than the newer iOS devices do, and you want to make sure that all that music is organized and easily navigable as expected. Chances are very high that you'll discover some tagging issues here and there....they are best ironed out before you tackle the whole music library.

Once you are sure the tags are right, go ahead and convert the whole lot (or break it up into smaller batches, as desired).

Comment

• lyric
                    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                    • Nov 2010

Very good point, I will take your advice. Thankyou very much

Regards

Lyric

Comment

• lyric
                      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                      • Nov 2010

Downloaded and paid for batch converter and tried one album and selected it and pressed convert at v2, 3 minutes later it was done and the window popped up saying Failed fro every track, error converting to mp3 ( lame ) C:users\public\music\name of song
                      error overwriting file c:users\users\c;mp3\artist\album\tracksm.3

or as close to this as I can remember. when I look at my library a new folder has appeared c; and there is one song in it that I copied with artwork and another song with none and the rest is missing, I even ripped this album in june with db poweramp free trial, so I am lost and wanted this to be easy, just press the button and all is done, please help. I want all my flac files on my ipod and thought that this would be easy, crikey, I am away to watch the Rugby before this computer goes out the window:vmad:

Regards

Lyric

Comment

• garym
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Nov 2007

Are you writing mp3 files to your nas or your PC. If to nas, you may have file permissions issues.

Comment

• Spoon
                          Administrator
                          • Apr 2002

Try converting one file, on the error page there is 'Copy To Clipboard', paste here please.
                          Spoon
                          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• lyric
                            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                            • Nov 2010

Yip already pasted to clipboard, sorry for the bad temper,:blush: if Ireland beats England I will be very happy and maybe a little tipsy. Can I send you the clipboard thing before match starts? And thanks for the prompt service as usual. That's why I'm back :smile2:

Comment

• Spoon
                              Administrator
                              • Apr 2002

Paste here as text, we need to see the exact filename it is trying to write to.
                              Spoon
                              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>