title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Find 24-bit files & convert to 16-bit

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ymisyd
    • Oct 2012

Find 24-bit files & convert to 16-bit

Hello,

I couldn't work out why some of my recent FLAC rips wouldn't play via Sonos and then a search revealed the answer - they had ripped at 24 bit and a higher than 44100 sample rate.

Using Windows (or even some program or other), is there a way to identify which files are in 24-bit so I can convert them to 16 bit?

I have since set dBpoweramp DSP effects as follows : Resample>frequency 44100 & Bit-depth min>8 max>16 dither>tpdf. I'm not too fussed about having 24 bit files at the moment (I think) as I only want them stored once for use on my Sonos sytem. Are these settings correct?

Many thanks in advance,
    Mark
  • ymisyd
    • Oct 2012

Re: Find 24-bit files & convert to 16-bit

Further to the above, I have HDCD DSP effect on also - to solve the Sonos problem, should I just turn off this effect? Will all CD's then rip at 16 bit 44.1kHz?

Comment

• garym
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by ymisyd
      Further to the above, I have HDCD DSP effect on also - to solve the Sonos problem, should I just turn off this effect? Will all CD's then rip at 16 bit 44.1kHz?
      ripping a regular CD should always be 16/44.1. That's a redbook CD. They would only rip at something other than that if you somehow forced this. And of course there is no advantage to converting a 16/44.1 file into a 24/96 or 24/192 file. This would do nothing regarding quality.

Search this forum on discussion regarding use of the HDCD DSP effect. No benefit to using this on regular CDs.

EDIT: I'm a bit confused as to how you ripped regular CDs and ended up with 24 bit rips to begin with. Perhaps there is something wrong you're doing in the ripping. You shouldn't need to use bit depth DSP when ripping a redbook CD. Perhaps clarify how these CD rips were done. Obviously, one may have 24/96 or 24/192 FLAC files from other sources and for these you'd need to convert to 16/44.1 to play on SONOS.
      Last edited by garym; November 15, 2012, 08:34 PM.

Comment

• ymisyd
        • Oct 2012

Garym,

Thanks for the reply. It only seems to be some of the hundreds of CD's I've ripped. I assumed they were manufactured at the higher bit-depth and sampling rate as, after some have finished, I've noticed dBpoweramp reporting HDCD detected.

I never thought anything of it until some refused to play via Sonos.

Comment

• garym
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Nov 2007

aha. that explains it. sorry, not sure if your settings to convert to 16 are correct. Look correct, but I've not done it, so I'll let someone else answer that part.

Comment

Working...

]]>