title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Meta data editing / batch editing and removal of ID Tags

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sjc
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Jan 2012

Meta data editing / batch editing and removal of ID Tags

When I first started using dbpa CD Ripper I didn't realize that I could manipulate the "naming" parameters before ripping a CD. For the first several hundred CD's I ripped, I didn't realize that CD Ripper was adding the Artists name before the Track name. For example: (track info would read) 04 - Led Zeppelin - Stairway To Heaven. Is there any way to batch remove just the Artist's name from the Track title information or would I need to remove the Artists name track by track? My initial concern was how long the Track names were and if this would be a problem for media players such as Foobar2000 or Sonos but I checked and the Artist name doesn't even show up before the track name when you browse in Sonos for example.

A similar question is if there is a way to batch remove the COMPOSER ID Tag (or any ID Tag for that matter) from multiple folders. I know how to do it folder by folder but was curious if there is a batch option.

Thank you for your assistance.
  • EliC
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: Meta data editing / batch editing and removal of ID Tags

I think you are confusing the name of the file and the meta-data displayed by players, such as foobar and sonos. You can name the file whatever you want, even 39820d9kisum.mp3 (or mp4 or .flac...). There is information stored within the file called meta-data that contains info like artist, album, track *, etc... and you can select how you want the player to display this info.

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

Most players use the Metadata, not file names to display information. CD Ripper makes sure the filename is short enough to be legal (if it is too long).

Batch Converter >> Convert To >> [ID Tag Update] utility codec with Composer set to remove.
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• sjc
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Jan 2012

Spoon - thank you for the tip on the Batch Converter ID Tag Processing codec. It worked great but I just want to confirm: After selecting the files I press Convert and the dBpoweramp Music Converter window opens. Under Options (DSP Effects/Actions) I added ID Tag Processing and then under the DELETE tab chose to delete the Composer ID Tag. I just wanted to make sure this was the correct process.

EliC - I think I figured out what you are saying but to confirm, the actual file name that I see in Windows Explorer is not what is displayed by a media player but rather the embedded meta-data within the file is what is displayed, and this meta-data (and what we see in a media player) is manipulated using the ID Tag Editing features of dbPoweramp. Correct?

Thanks again for your assistance.

Comment

• linndex
          • Aug 2011

This is exactly what I want to do. But I do not want to convert anything else than removing the composer tag. What option, when I have set the batch converter to remove the composer tag, do I use to only do this, and not convert the files in any other way?

Comment

• garym
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Nov 2007

select all files in batch converter, select "convert to", select ID TAG UPDATE as the DSP you are converting to, in the detail below that, select the DELETIONS tab, then the "single tag", then use drop down to select "composer", then lower right of that window select "covert". This will remove the composer field from all the tags where it exists (and will not convert anything else (audio or other tags).

Comment

• linndex
              • Aug 2011

Thanks for your answer. Strange though! I think I have done exactly as you say, but has a question once I click on Convert if I want to overwrite the existing files. Is it OK to do that? Will this operation only, if I choose OK, only take away the tag I want? It sounds for me like it wants to re-do the complete music file as well! I don't mess with the files more than necessary!

Comment

• garym
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Nov 2007

Originally posted by linndex
                Thanks for your answer. Strange though! I think I have done exactly as you say, but has a question once I click on Convert if I want to overwrite the existing files. Is it OK to do that? Will this operation only, if I choose OK, only take away the tag I want? It sounds for me like it wants to re-do the complete music file as well! I don't mess with the files more than necessary!
                no, converting to "ID TAG UPDATE" does NOT change the audio data or other tags. In the above example, it only deletes that field from all the tags, nothing else.Test it on a few files first just to confirm for yourself. The confusing thing to you is the use of the term "convert". You're thinking of transcoding, etc. But here the "convert" is really not converting at all, it is simply calling a tag editor up to use on a batch of files.

Comment

• linndex
                  • Aug 2011

Thanks alot! I will do as you say, make some tests before proceeding with the database!

Comment

• RMJFlack
                    • Feb 2013

Ok this is odd. Trying what garrym suggested as I have a similar need to 'flag' converted files in a way the iTunes will be able to 'see' (it appears not to recognise the Source tag. pity.) ... I do not see ID TAG UPDATE under the 'convert to' options.
                    If I click on [Add] under Options DSP Effect/Actions tab at the bottom of the pop-up, and click [Add DSP Effect, there is ID TAG Processing option on the menu.
                    Are there different versions of the program (there doesnt seem to be a Help / About for me to check.

Im looking for the simplest way to write a (fixed) value to a tag field (eg Comment) for all tracks in a set of folders (and subfolders) WITHOUT changing the audio data. Im real nervous that I dont seem to be able to select a "COnvert to" option that is not an actual adio format. (While all the selected tracks would in fact be the same, mp3, the bit rates are likely to differ; plus actually doing conversios would be very slow compared to just writing a tag. I assume).

Comment

• garym
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by RMJFlack
                      Ok this is odd. Trying what garrym suggested as I have a similar need to 'flag' converted files in a way the iTunes will be able to 'see' (it appears not to recognise the Source tag. pity.) ... I do not see ID TAG UPDATE under the 'convert to' options.
                      If I click on [Add] under Options DSP Effect/Actions tab at the bottom of the pop-up, and click [Add DSP Effect, there is ID TAG Processing option on the menu.
                      Are there different versions of the program (there doesnt seem to be a Help / About for me to check.

Im looking for the simplest way to write a (fixed) value to a tag field (eg Comment) for all tracks in a set of folders (and subfolders) WITHOUT changing the audio data. Im real nervous that I dont seem to be able to select a "COnvert to" option that is not an actual adio format. (While all the selected tracks would in fact be the same, mp3, the bit rates are likely to differ; plus actually doing conversios would be very slow compared to just writing a tag. I assume).
                      There should be an ID TAG UPDATE that you choose as "convert to" and then once you select convert, you get a screen with the ability to do batch things to tags (delete, manipulate, etc.) This will NOT change the audio, it is just doing batch tag changes. The term "convert to" is confusing you as it seems that you are converting the file. But you're not, you're simply doing a batch edit of tags only. If you don't see the ID TAG UPDATE in convert to options, you likely haven't installed that component. See here at bottom of page under utility codecs. Install this, then it will show as an option:

I also use mp3tag for batch tag editing.

Comment

Working...

]]>