title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

How to rip CD's (FLAC & CUE Sheet)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thejamesjr
    • Jul 2011

How to rip CD's (FLAC & CUE Sheet)

My CD collection is all ripped to WAVE and MP3 (192kbps) using Window Media Plyaer. I would like to re-rip my entire CD collection to FLAC & Lame MP3 (256kbps or 320kbps).

I tried using EAC but in my opinion the setup process takes to long. With dBpoweramp, the CD information and Album Art is automatically done without having to go selecting it manually (which you have to do with EAC).

I would like to know how to properly rip my CD collection to FLAC with CUE sheets & log files.

Do I encode to [CUE Sheet Image], FLAC, or WAVE?
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: How to rip CD's (FLAC & CUE Sheet)

Currently Cue Sheet Image will rip the whole disc as one track, rather than seperate tracks.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• thejamesjr
      • Jul 2011

Why doesn't it rip seperate tracks?

I thought the purpose of CUE sheets was so you can write an exact copy to CD. I'm better off just ripping my CD's to FLAC and forgetting about CUE sheets than?

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

Typically CUE sheets have one large track, the actual cue sheet is used by the player to locate the individual tracks, you need a specialized player to do this.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• thejamesjr
          • Jul 2011

Right now my CD collection is backed up to WAVE and MP3 (192kbps) with Windows Media Player. I use WAVE Lossless for backup in case of misplacing or damaging a CD and MP3 for listening to music.

Wanting to increase my MP3's to 256 or 320kbps, this is when I discovered dBpoweramp and EAC. But overall dBpoweramp is more user friendly and Meta Data is AMAZING! This is also when I discovered FLAC, LAME MP3 codecs and how much better they are compared to Windows Media Player's WAVE & MP3.

I tried converting my WAVE files to LAME MP3 with Batch Converter but all of the album details weren't being converted correctly. This is very important to me as I manage and play my music with the Zune application (Most of my music is now downloaded with Zune Pass). This is when I came to the conclusion to re-rip my CD collection with dBpoweramp.

Would you recommend that I just Rip my CD's to FLAC and forget about CUE sheets?

Also, what would recommend as the best quality for MP3's CBR 320kbps, 256kbps or VBR 240kbps?

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

>Would you recommend that I just Rip my CD's to FLAC and forget about CUE sheets?

Yes

>Also, what would recommend as the best quality for MP3's CBR 320kbps, 256kbps or VBR 240kbps?

320Kbps is the best quality for mp3
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• thejamesjr
              • Jul 2011

Then I will just rip my CD's to FLAC without CUE sheets. I wouldn't want to burn a CD and have every song on 1 track as this would defeat the purpose of using a CUE sheet which is supposed to be an exact copy of the CD. And even then I Probably wouldn't burn it onto CD as I like to listen to all my music digitally. I just want FLAC so that I have a Lossless format in case I want to convert in the near future. I'm also going to rip my CD's to MP3's CBR 320kbps as I want the best quality.

Q: Will dBpoweramp support CUE sheets for individual tracks anytime in the near future?

Q: What would you recommend with MP3 CBR 256kbps vs VBR 240kbps?

Thanks for your quick replies and help!

Comment

• Porcus
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by thejamesjr
                Then I will just rip my CD's to FLAC without CUE sheets. I wouldn't want to burn a CD and have every song on 1 track as this would defeat the purpose of using a CUE sheet which is supposed to be an exact copy of the CD.
                Well every song on 1 track gives you still an exact copy of the CD -- the cuesheet will tell you how it is layed out on the CD.

If you want cuesheets AND single files AND use dBpoweramp, there is a solution or two:
                - (1): convert the single file to multiples afterwards, using e.g. the foobar2000 media player.
                - (2): rip twice and copy the cuesheet
                - (3): use a different tool to extract cuesheet while the disc is still in
                - (4): get cuesheets from http://www.regeert.nl/cuesheet/ .

Comment

• thejamesjr
                  • Jul 2011

Is a CUE sheet really necessary though if I have no intentions of burning my music to CD?

[CUE Sheet Image Encoder Settings] which do I encode to FLAC, CUE Sheet Image, or Audio CD?
                  (I'm assuming FLAC, then I can rip both the CUE Sheet and the FLAC audio at the same time).

Comment

• Spoon
                    Administrator
                    • Apr 2002

No it is not necessary
                    Spoon
                    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• thejamesjr
                      • Jul 2011

I just installed foobar2000, I also have EAC, dBpoweramp (Ripper, Batch Converter, CD Writer). My intentions are FLAC for storing an exact copy of the CD (for use if ever want to convert or create CD's) and MP3 (CBR-320kbps) for listening to my music.

I fully understand how to rip CD's to FLAC and MP3 formats. Although I'm still trying to understand and want to learn how to rip CUE Sheets with FLAC.

Q: When I rip a CUE Sheet do I encode to FLAC, Audio CD, or just CUE Sheet?

If I encode with FLAC than this gives me 2 files, one is the CUE image file and the second is a FLAC image file.

Q: Do I take those 2 files and use foobar2000 to seperate the single track into multiple tracks? If yes, can you explain how to do this?

Comment

Working...

]]>