title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Best uncompressed lossless format to rip CD and have tags + cover art

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mville
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Dec 2008

Re: Best uncompressed lossless format to rip CD and have tags + cover art

Originally posted by currter
    Finally, I have tried hard to get the metadata in the .wav files to show on the car stereo
    and have failed. The information shows on the computer but not external to that.
    I am wasting time, but I am trying and will try some other things with .wav before
    I give up and concede to .flac in some form (compressed or uncompressed, more likely compressed).
    < sigh>
    Tag support for wav files is notoriously poor, hence one the advantages of ripping to flac.

I was in the car to see if I could hear any differences between .wav and .flac
    and noticing how it reads the flash drive (that light flickering). The car stereo seems to
    keep the audio in memory for both format when repeating a song the light does not flicker.
    But .wav would be more data for it to have to hold in memory than a .flac.
    I do notice something different with the time bar for flac... flac seems a bit delayed or
    at certain parts of the song where I know something happens or an event in the song
    at a certain minute:second position, flac does not seem to be accurate there. Maybe it is buffering
    some information ahead of time to do the decoding faster, whereas .wav is in real time.
    This will be a consequence of the car stereo hardware resources/firmware and how it handles different audio formats.

Comment

• garym
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Nov 2007

... now I am playing with foobar...
      yes, dbpa can do the same thing with its convert program. And PerfectTunes can automatically add album art.

Comment

• currter
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Jul 2016

Okay,...
        I was able to use DBPA on the Mac to convert the existing .WAV files under artist name/album name
        to .flac files and even had the tagging information inserted. The problem is I cannot verify the
        tagging information is correct until I go to windows. I guess I could run parallels and have Windows running
        on the Mac to check.

I could not do the same easily under Windows... maybe, just as with foobar, I have to tag each of the .wav files
        first, then convert to flac files and the files/songs will be placed in another area under the appropriate
        Album Artist/Album name and number followed by title of song.

I think this is the way to go with this so I do not have to rip all those CDs again.
        It has been journey to get to this point but I am glad I did the research.

I may end up purchasing DBPA for the Mac, not Windows as Windows seems to
        be served by a myriad of flac conversion tools that I can choose from that are free.

EAC did not work well with just converting the .wav files in batch and it deleted
        my "source" .wav files --I forgot to turn off that option to delete the .wav after
        it processes it to .flac . But I still have 2 master copies, so no big deal there
        replacing the .wav files.

I think DBPA will be handy to keep around but on the Mac .

Thank you for all your support and patience as I acquiesce
        that .flac is the way to go if I really want to see the album art
        information on the car stereo. And since I am keeping the master hard drive
        with all the .wav files backed up and safe, why should I worry about the audio
        quality of the compressed the files in .flac any longer just for usage in the car
        and especially now I can see how to convert the .wav to .flac without
        having to re-rip the CDs again... If the .wav files I ripped back in April
        have errors on them , as I discover them (only 3 so far where the CD
        was just smudged), then I will deal with them then.
        I will also have the benefit of being able to put more songs (albums, artists)
        on the drives (flash, SSD, microsd) that I would use for the car maybe even
        using only 2 hard drives instead of the 3 drives used now.

I will play with DBPA on Windows to see about adding the tagging
        information and have the .flac files stored in the appropriate directory
        Artist/Album/xx title.flac
        So far it seems to just place the converted files in a top level directory
        or sub directory where I want to organize the file but it is not creating
        the Artist/Album folders. And I think that was because the .wav files
        did not have the tagging information inside them to direct the .flac files
        where they should go.

Thanks.
        Last edited by currter; August 07, 2016, 02:47 PM.

Comment

• garym
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Nov 2007

You simply need to set the dynamic naming properly when converting wav to flac and dbpa will create separate artist/album subdirectories. There is lots of info on this in the help screens on various program screens. Just click on the "?" Icons.

Comment

• currter
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • Jul 2016

Okay, I think I figured it out...

On Windows, I have to add the tag information from the source directory.
            I think someone mentioned that before... so to give credit to that person.
            Once the tag information is filled out in the .wav files for Album Artist and/or
            Artist and Album name, song number position and song title, then I have to
            back to rip to .flac and the converted files will be stored under the appropriate
            directories based on Artist/Album name/ files .. songs.flac numbered

Then I have to manually add the album art information by right clicking... then ID Tag
            editing then searching for the right album art from internet...
            I think this will be fine as this will be faster than ripping 1300 CDs again even if doing so
            all these other steps could be automated .
            I think this will be a small inconvenience... I just have to go through directory by directory.

It's been fun... time to do the work.

Comment

• mville
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Dec 2008

Thank you for all your support and patience as I acquiesce
              that .flac is the way to go if I really want to see the album art
              information on the car stereo. And since I am keeping the master hard drive
              with all the .wav files backed up and safe, why should I worry about the audio
              quality of the compressed the files in .flac any longer just for usage in the car
              and especially now I can see how to convert the .wav to .flac without
              having to re-rip the CDs again...
              There is NO difference in the audio quality of wav files and any corresponding compressed flac files. The compression refers to data compression only and should not be confused with analog audio compression.

Comment

• currter
                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                • Jul 2016

Oh, I must not have seen that option for dynamic naming... maybe it was in small print.
                Thank you... But I think even if I do this manually, it will be a lot faster from .wav to .flac
                than re-ripping CDs where at times the encoding would take an hour for one song it got
                hung up on just to make sure it got ripped accurately with CRC checking and error correction
                when in reality when I visit those song, I do not hear a problem in the audio either on the
                CD or in the .wav files I generated.

Comment

• currter
                  dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                  • Jul 2016

Yes, I see the light now.
                  I have been converted to flac even at compression level 0 or 1...
                  whichever one generates the larger file and / or higher bit rate
                  and or requires less CPU processing (encoding, decoding)...
                  just for my ease of mind.

Thank you so much.

Comment

• currter
                    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                    • Jul 2016

I guess I did see that dynamic naming area...
                    On the Mac it was already set, Windows I had to do some tweaking of it.

One has to do some work to get these things right when everything would be
                    automated and automatically placed in appropriate areas if I would just re-rip the
                    CDs .

Apparently, I am not going to get the software to research to fill in those blank fields
                    such as year, composers(s), contributing artists like with duets and guest artists if I just
                    convert the newly tagged .wav files as that information is not in the file nor in the
                    directory structure.
                    I will have to assess if that is important and if it is, I will have to re-rip everything.
                    If I want to simply get these things converted fast using only the artist\album\track* song.wav,
                    then I will have to live with that limited information in the resulting tagged .wav to the
                    compressed .flac files which will be appropriately placed onto the new masterflac hard drive
                    just as before with the .wav.

I see the downloaded version does insert the album art and once I purchase, that can be done
                    automatically... maybe I will luck out that the other fields can be inserted such as
                    genre, year, composer, record label ,etc. even UPC label
                    wow this is a lot to consider re-ripping the entire collection

Wav was so limiting and I kind of thought ripping to .wav using iTunes, that iTunes would have
                    added some of this information in the .wav file as the detailed information did appear in
                    the iTunes application once the CDs were loaded and ripped. What a waste of time.
                    <sigh>
                    Last edited by currter; August 07, 2016, 07:37 PM.

Comment

• currter
                      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                      • Jul 2016

I am also going to have to send an email to Apple's CEO Tim Cook
                      as to why iTunes does not support flac and also why it seems .aiff files,
                      which could contain metadata information better than .wav, are not
                      widely supported on car audio systems such as this Pioneer or the Sony.
                      Maybe had I ripped all those CDs to .aiff, I would not have to go through
                      this to get the data and images added to the audio files.

I may just go ahead and re-rip all the CDs and use that burst option
                      as the software did spend a lot of time doing multiple passes ripping certain
                      songs on CDs which were fairly clean... one song it spent 4 hours or so if not
                      more ripping. I had to go to sleep and come back to it the next morning.
                      I did not hear any noticeable anomalies on that track but some of the music
                      is loud and as having a vinyl record that has a little scratch on it, if the
                      music is not soft, you barely notice the scratch.

Well that is it... I have two more days of the trial... then I can purchase for either
                      platform... coin toss maybe.

Comment

• garym
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Nov 2007

Don't use burst option. You want the ultra secure option with ACCURAERIP. You want to rip correctly, even if it takes a bit longer. And by the way even some brand new CDs with no apparent flaws can have errors in ripping (not bit perfect). That's one reason Itunes is not a recommended ripper. You want a secure ripper that does an ACCURATERIP match (such as dbpa).

Respectfully, you seem to spend your research time on all the wrong things (e.g. Wav vs flac file size). Instead, you need to read a bit more about secure ripping and ACCURATERIP. Just google it.

Comment

• currter
                          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                          • Jul 2016

Originally posted by garym
                          Don't use burst option. You want the ultra secure option with ACCURAERIP. You want to rip correctly, even if it takes a bit longer. And by the way even some brand new CDs with no apparent flaws can have errors in ripping (not bit perfect). That's one reason Itunes is not a recommended ripper. You want a secure ripper that does an ACCURATERIP match (such as dbpa).
                          Respectfully, you seem to spend your research time on all the wrong things (e.g. Wav vs flac file size). Instead, you need to read a bit more about secure ripping and ACCURATERIP. Just google it.

I may be an audiophile of sorts, but I am not that anal(-retentive) about it/perfection to want to wait 4 hours
                          for a rip of one song. I had to stop it, rip the other songs which went well and go back
                          to that one song. Again this is in testing all this out because the .wav file created months
                          ago sounded just fine.
                          The song was the first track on the Dirty Dancing Soundtrack:
                          the No.1 pop song (I've Had) The Time Of My Life - Bill Medley and Jennifer Warnes I think it went *1 easy listening too.
                          actually the CD did have a pin hole scratch on it in near the center and probably why
                          there were issues with it. In the past that track skipped a bit but I "fixed" it with a little
                          liquid paper on the label side
                          On CDs the tracks start in the middle of the CD and go outward.
                          Actually if you hold the CD angled in the light, you can see the track separations on it
                          (like with vinyl staring outward going inward).
                          That song , there were over 300 frames or something I saw that had to be
                          re-ripped.. and why it too so long to complete that one.
                          One DVD drive reported it need to process 700 frames... but the LG said 300+ so
                          I went with that drive... but in the end, there was nothing noticeable audibly about the
                          track even if there was that scratch...
                          So that was not fair... but other CDs that are lightly scratched, some rip 100% Accurate and
                          some the software struggles with a bit taking a long time, longer than necessary considering
                          the song sounds fine when I play it in the optical drive or listen to the already established .wav
                          files, thus I see no reason really waste time with this when I have 1300* CDs to process.
                          I want it to go as smoothly as it did when I worked on the iTunes ripping (with error correction)
                          for about a week.
                          * well now that is less some 90 CDs I have ripped to .flac in the meanwhile.
                          I do not think I am too concerned about perfection or accurate rips for CDs that are lightly scratched
                          or that I have repaired using one of those CD repair kits I got long ago to scrape off parts of the
                          CD's playable side. I did notice that the software reported some inaccuracies on those... but again
                          the CD plays just fine in a standard CD player and I verified such with the .wav files.
                          Believe me, since I have ripped to wav and have moved the audio files to the flash drives,
                          I have listened to a lot and tested those and I do not hear anything noticeable like skips or
                          faint buzzing (not sure that is the right term , like a faint scratch as the error correction takes place).
                          there is one song:(full version 6minutes+ of) The Green-Eyed Lady - Sugarloaf a *3 pop song, that I have on Curb Records,
                          though slightly scratched and noticeable on one CD drive, I put in another (LG) and the
                          flaw went away. So I ripped using that DVD/CD drive instead. The .wav sounds fine.
                          The flac conversion sounded fine as well though it was reported as Insecure?.
                          Some are reported or red-flagged but reported as Secure with some AR value..

Yes, I may have to do more research on the accuracy of the rips and how to
                          interpret (worry about or ignore) those AR values , some red some Inaccurate,
                          Insecure some Secure...
                          what I had been doing was redoing those that said Insecure and moving past the ones
                          that said secure. But I don't want to waste time as when I visited those song that
                          were ripped Insecure, I did not hear any problems... That is where EAC came in handy as
                          it reported the "exact" location where there could be a problem minute:second so I can skip
                          to that part to see... and I heard nothing out of the ordinary even with Sony MDR V55 headphones
                          on
                          Last edited by currter; August 07, 2016, 11:03 PM.

Comment

• currter
                            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                            • Jul 2016

Originally posted by garym

Oh, I think I have finally moved past the file size issue.
                            It was a learning curve... in a short amount of time. I thought larger meant better,
                            but I can accept that let us say the audio encounters a frequency of 10,000 Hz,
                            there is no reason why that should be stored in 16 bits when that could be
                            stored in 14 bits (log 10,000 / log 2 from old computer/math days).
                            I am not sure if that is the way this works but I can see there could be a waste
                            of padded zeros in the audio file (2 bits of zeros). Lower frequencies could require
                            even smaller amount of bits to store that information : 2000 Hz may require only
                            11 bits with 5 bits of zeroes (wasted padding)... .wav must have a lot of zeroes in it
                            in high-ordered bits (within 16 bits of information) . wow... that is a lot of wasted bits.
                            The human range of hearing 20Hz to 20,000 Hz ... 16 bits unsigned 65536-1 max value.

Also a lot of music is repetitive so maybe those parts can be compressed
                            (4 on the floor so maybe a compression of 25% to 33% at least )...
                            Some files I see 43%,44% compression so flac is working better than expected.
                            I am not sure this how flac works but I see and understand the benefit of it.

As long as I keep the .wav files secure, I have nothing to worry about
                            the compressed .flac files for the car audio (hard drive, flash drive, SD card).

Now I am working on the Flac Audio files master hard drive with a possible
                            occasional reference to the .wav master if I ever encounter an issue with
                            a flac conversion of a song... I will just convert the .wav to .flac , add the metadata
                            and move forward to the next CD.
                            Last edited by currter; August 08, 2016, 02:40 AM.

Comment

• currter
                              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                              • Jul 2016

I am not sure if my analysis means anything, but I can now
                              see that .wav is very wasteful in the high ordered bits ...
                              I should look at a hexadecimal dump of the data in .wav and
                              would probably see a lot of 00s in it.

if 5 upper bits are wasted 0s and 11 lower bits are useful audio
                              frequencies could that already be a savings, if the zeroes are stripped
                              out, of 31% compression right there alone? and think of the
                              entire song , more savings of bits?

I am not looking at .wav the way I used to now now it could be
                              a wave of wasted zeroed bits.
                              Maybe that area of saved (bits) bytes in another location of the
                              .wav or .flac file (perhaps the at the footer) can be used for more
                              useful metadata, album art and other pertinent information?

I am all for flac now.

Maybe the .flac back to .wav to get the original back is just
                              putting back a lot of zeroes in upper bits ?

Nothing From Nothing - Billy Preston a No. 1 pop song 1974
                              leaves nothing ...
                              Last edited by currter; August 08, 2016, 03:14 AM.

Comment

• currter
                                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                                • Jul 2016

2 bytes or 16 bits
                                0x0000

each hex digit is 4 bits
                                so maybe a lot of 0x0 in the .wav file if the first 4 bits are just zeroes
                                I should not have stated 0x00 but that is a possibility too

20Hz = 0x0014 = 0000 0000 0001 0100 so a lot of 0s in the most significant bits up until the 1 (11 bits zeroes)

2,000 Hz = 0x07D0 = 0000 0111 1101 0000 so a savings of 5 bits (upper bits zeroes)

20,000Hz = 0x4E20 = 0100 1110 0010 0000 (1 bit upper zero that can be stripped).
                                I don't think you touch or remove the lower bits with zeroes, just the place holding upper bits that are zeros
                                (padding) to fit into the 2 bytes.

it is like saying 00456 in decimal is really 456 the padded zeroes at the beginning are not necessary
                                and if stripped does not change the value if you got rid of the 0s

I read somewhere that the flac compression may use as few bits necessary to store the audio or frequencies.

I am not sure this is the concept, but maybe this could convince some others that it is possible not
                                losing data if just stripping off upper bit zeroes as part of the compression.

Then I guess if you have audio that ranges between 40Hz to 8000 Hz (not sure ?) but there could
                                be a savings (compression) of at least 3 bits (zeroes) off the top throughout the entire (huge) wav file.
                                (compress out the upper bits of zeroes)
                                if 8 areas, frames, or whatever, save 24 bits or 3 bytes right there...

I am sure the flac software is more complex than what I am thinking as I am not an audio engineer either.
                                But I can appreciate this concept of flac and maybe it can be explained some other way to fully convince
                                that you should not or will not lose data with this type of compression. The audio frequencies are preserved
                                just the way it is stored is altered, compressed using the amount of bits necessary.
                                flac is great now...
                                Last edited by currter; August 08, 2016, 05:24 AM.

Comment

Working...

]]>