title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Re-Ripping a Large Collection (Replacing existing files)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Musicfan145
    • Mar 2010

Re-Ripping a Large Collection (Replacing existing files)

I have a large collection (20,000 tracks), most of which are ripped from my own CDs in lo-fi, lossy formats (128kbps MP3 and AAC). I would like to re-rip these in Apple Lossless. (Our household has two ipods, two iphones, and a squeezebox; Apple Lossless is supported on all three).

I'm excited to gain the secure ripping, "perfect" metadata, and embedded album art provided by dBpoweramp Reference, but I don't want to lose the years of work I have put into rating tracks and creating playlists in iTunes. (When I re-rip a CD in iTunes, it will replace existing tracks with the new rip, while keeping the playlists, ratings, play history, and other metadata intact. However, it obviously is a "burst" rip and doesn't have the option to enhance or manipulate metadata.) Is there a way to use dBpoweramp Reference to re-rip, yet maintain my ratings and playlists from iTunes?

(I have also purchased MediaMonkey Gold, WinAmp Pro, TuneUp Gold, and Nero 9, if any of these programs have tools that will help!)
  • Teknojnky
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Dec 2006

Re: Re-Ripping a Large Collection (Replacing existing files)

I don't think so, and I'm not aware of any apps that can as I imagine that would involve updating the itunes library without itunes itself.

Comment

• notmetoo
      • Oct 2009

I have a suggestion that might work. If you try this don't scream at me if it fails. I very limited knowledge of iTunes file managing.

I used to use mediamonkey to manage my tags but have recently switch to mp3Tag, it integrates with the context menu, making it available at any folder, single tagging or batch.

2 of the best features of mp3Tag, 1. it's free & 2. you can export the tags and re-import the tag file by mapping in the form of a foobar string.

My suggestion would be to test it on 1 album first, export the tags from the mp3 file, making sure that all the extended tags (view by right click) are exported.

Move the mp3 file to a different location and place the new rip in the original mp3 folder.

Import the tags to the new files, test it with iTunes.

If all works well you can do it by batch, opening the mp3 main directory in mp3Tag, make sure to sort the files by Path, and continue as above.

I would also suggest to do it by artist so as not to get confused.

As I said in the first line MIGHT work.
      Last edited by notmetoo; March 30, 2010, 02:16 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• notmetoo
        • Oct 2009

Just thought of giving you a little more detail on exporting importing
        • Sort the Tracks in mp3Tag by clicking the 'Path' column.
        • Select the files that contain the Tags you wish to Export.

• After clicking 'Export' the following window will open.

• After clicking 'Edit' in the 'Export window.

• Open the 'Extended Tags' window by Right Click.

This is important so you don't totally mess the Tags up.
        • Again I want to remind you to sort the files by 'Path'

After clicking the 'Import' button.

[SIZE="2"]Another point that should be carefully noted in you specific case is to keep the file names exactly the same. The file names can also be changed via mp3Tag[/SIZE]
        Last edited by notmetoo; March 31, 2010, 04:28 AM.

Comment

Working...

]]>