title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

How do I set up a proper ripping workflow?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • computer-girl
    • Dec 2008

How do I set up a proper ripping workflow?

I am looking for a work flow that will allow me to efficiently rip approximately 1200 CDs to FLAC, tag them, and perhaps encode them to mp3 after they have ALL been ripped to FLAC.

1. I would like to rip securely (should I rip "ultra" securely)?

2. First of all, how can I be absolutely certain that I got a proper, error free rip?

3. Also, kindly include a way to deal with CD rips that contain errors. Did I read in the forums that someone had a spreadsheet that kept up with this?

4. What tools are recommended for cleaning the discs?

5. What tools are recommended for dealing with scratched discs - should I try to rip on a drive that deals well with scratches or try to repair the scratches first?

Please include recommended dbpoweramp setting for CD Ripper and Batch Ripper.

I will be building 2 dedicated 1.1 GHz machines that will have 2-4 optical drives each.

I will be using the following optical drives:
    Plextor PX-230A
    Plextor PX-708a
    Lite-On SHM-165H6S

I am leaning towards using multiple instances of CD Ripper, though I will also experiment with Batch Ripper to see which one is easier to use.

Best regards,

computer-girl
  • Porcus
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Feb 2007

Re: How do I set up a proper ripping workflow?

Originally posted by computer-girl
    I am looking for a work flow that will allow me to efficiently rip approximately 1200 CDs to FLAC, tag them, and perhaps encode them to mp3 after they have ALL been ripped to FLAC.

To address a couple of your questions:

To get something "absolutely certain" ... there's always a chance for an error (even with an Accurate Rip, as there could be pressing errors, see http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=17563 ...). Are you for example willing to take the hassle of ripping everything twice through different hardware? I am not. (I use a Sony XL1B2 200 disc changer, with my own DIY batch ripper, see my signature. For the time being, the XL1B* is a compromise as dBpoweramp does not yet handle C2 error pointers from that thing (though EAC does). Anything that shows up as "Warning" from the changer is fed manually through my PX-230A.)

Settings suggestions:

- Use AccurateRip for what it's worth.
    - If you want to rip securely (assuming that you have the Reference version of dBp), then "Ultra" secure is more secure. Some 3 ultra passes? I use min 3 max 5.
    - Set a fairly low bound on the individual frame re-reads, and put CDs which turn up with "Insecure" or "Error" tracks away for later -- when you have gotten used to everything, you will have a better idea on how to tweak. In the end you can try to rip the bothersome CDs through two different drives and hope that you do get all tracks right at least once.
    - For tagging purposes: Put compilation CDs away for later if you have a naming scheme which distinguishes comps from non-comps. Not even with PerfectMeta you can trust the sources to correctly identify compilations.

Comment

• computer-girl
      • Dec 2008

Re: How do I set up a proper ripping workflow?

Originally posted by Porcus
      To address a couple of your questions:

To get something "absolutely certain" ... there's always a chance for an error (even with an Accurate Rip, as there could be pressing errors, see http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=17563 ...). Are you for example willing to take the hassle of ripping everything twice through different hardware? I am not. (I use a Sony XL1B2 200 disc changer, with my own DIY batch ripper, see my signature. For the time being, the XL1B* is a compromise as dBpoweramp does not yet handle C2 error pointers from that thing (though EAC does). Anything that shows up as "Warning" from the changer is fed manually through my PX-230A.)

Settings suggestions:

- Use AccurateRip for what it's worth.
      - If you want to rip securely (assuming that you have the Reference version of dBp), then "Ultra" secure is more secure. Some 3 ultra passes? I use min 3 max 5.
      - Set a fairly low bound on the individual frame re-reads, and put CDs which turn up with "Insecure" or "Error" tracks away for later -- when you have gotten used to everything, you will have a better idea on how to tweak. In the end you can try to rip the bothersome CDs through two different drives and hope that you do get all tracks right at least once.
      - For tagging purposes: Put compilation CDs away for later if you have a naming scheme which distinguishes comps from non-comps. Not even with PerfectMeta you can trust the sources to correctly identify compilations.
      Porcus, thank you for your response.

Regards,

computer-girl

Comment

Working...

]]>