title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Simple Normalization?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HMNyge
    • Jun 2006

Simple Normalization?

Is it possible to use this program to normalize all of my .wma files? If so, how? If not, any programs you suggest?
    Thanks.
  • xoas
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2002

Re: Simple Normalization?

If you have a registered version (or unexpired trial version) of the Power Pack for dBpowerAMP Music Converter (dMC), then you can. You will also have to download and install the WMA codec for your version of WMP (the wma 9.1 codec is for WMP 10).

When you have these correctly set up, take the wma files you want to apply normalization to, open them in dMC, and convert them to wma applying the volume normalization (and possibly the volume quiten) DSP effects.

dMC's volume normalization does have its limitations. Volume normalization will increase the volume of quiet tracks or the quiet sections of average tracks. It does not reduce the volume of tracks you might feel are too loud and it will not reduce the volume of sections that you might feel are too loud. It is for these cases, that the volume quieten DSP effect is useful. Both effects can be applied in the same operation. These effects each reduce the dynamic range of your original audio.

Volume normalization is best applied during ripping or when reserved specifically for files to be burned to disk or transfered to a portable player. I find it preferable to use dB Audio Player and use the automatic volume boost feature to normalize volume on playback without altering the audio qualities of your initial files. There is a feature available for some players known as ReplayGain that does the same function but does it better. You would need to have a player that supports ReplayGain to do this.

I don't deal with wma files a lot, so when I say that I am not aware of any other programs for normalizing the volume of wma files I am hopeful that users who do know of some other programs that might do so will feel free to post their suggestions here.

Best wishes,
    Bill

Comment

• HMNyge
      • Jun 2006

Re: Simple Normalization?

Thank you very much for the help.

Comment

Working...

]]>