title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Using the EQ settings to rip cd

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Swampfox
    • Feb 2006

Using the EQ settings to rip cd

Is there a way for me to eq the song I want to rip, listen to it and then rip it in the new EQ form? I think I have figured out how to rip the song eq'ed but I would like to real time eq before I rip so I can make sure it is not over Eq'ed
  • xoas
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2002

Re: Using the EQ settings to rip cd

Cloosest you can come, I think is to use dAP (dBpowerAMP Audio Player) to preview the track and to set your EQ (with Boost/Gain set to neutral/0). Then you can save the EQ setting and reload the same EQ setting in dMC.

You will want to make sure, if you try this, that you use a dAP skin that supports the same number of EQ settings as dMC does (which is 18). The only skin with exactly an 18 bar EQ is (I think) the DualPro skin by Craze. You can probably do ok with any of the skins with a 20 bar EQ keeping in mind that 2 of the bars are dummies (off-hand I do not recall which). If you set the EQ setting in dAP on a skin with a 10 bar EQ and save the settings, these settings will be applied to the first 10 bars of the dMC EQ. Likewise, the dMC EQ will only read the first bars of the settings from a 20 bar EQ. It will not toss out the 2 dummy bars.

Or you could approximate the settings from a 10 bar EQ to 20 bars.

If you use WinAmp, you could try previewing the track and your EQ settings in WinAmp and use the WinAmp EQ settings. I am not sure whether this would be as good as using dAP or not, but you could try it.

Unfortunately, I don't see any other way to preview a DSP prior to ripping. It would be an interesting thing to try.

Best wishes,
    Bill

Comment

• Swampfox
      • Feb 2006

Thanks for the insight....do you know where I can get the skin by Craze?

Comment

• LtData
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • May 2004

See here: http://www.aussiecommunity.com.au/fo...=43&styleid=16

Comment

• xoas
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Apr 2002

My apologies. DualPro has 20 sliders not 18.
          I don't think there is any skin with exactly 18 sliders.

I'll see if I can find a bit more abotu the handling of this (can't find the thread I want on this)

Bill

Comment

• Swampfox
            • Feb 2006

I don't understand why the 2 eq's are not the same...That set of sliders is in one of the most critical places.....very strange

Comment

• xoas
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Apr 2002

I won't bore you with the history of how this developed. It's just how it happened. I am sure that Spoon will eventually standardize the EQ interface for dAP, the dAP Options menu EQ (which is 10 band) and the dMC DSP EQ. Since he is the only programmer for all of this, and because the various programs started out individually, integration of these various programs has been lengthier than one might hope for. On the other hand, since he does all the work these components are much more integrated than they might be in a different environment.

More to the point, I apologize again. Theree is a skin with an 18 band EQ (to match dMC). That is the Magnum skin by Curt, aka Craze. I though I remembered him having such a skin but the version I had installed untiil just now was the original version (which had 20 band EQ). This is available through the same link that LtData provided above.

So you might want to use that skin to preview your EQ settings for your rips.

I will have to dig around some more to identify the dummy EQ sliders on the 20 band EQ to help figure out the best means of using settings from a 20 band EQ to translate to the 18 band EQ in dMC DSP.

EDIT-I see Craze already identified these in his footnote to his ReadMe on this skin thusly:
              Redrew the Equalizer removing slider #8 @ 550Hz and slider #15 @ 4.2KHz.
              So I will toy around with how to figure out a workable translation from 20 band to 18.-Bill

Best wishes,
              Bill
              Last edited by xoas; February 07, 2006, 02:07 AM.

Comment

• Craze
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Oct 2002

Magnum is 18-Band. Freqs are correct.

Slider's 8 & 15 are the dummies on a 20 Band skin.

Comment

• Craze
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Oct 2002

There may be an 18-band update coming soon for BlackBeauty.
                  I've been doing some other tweaks to it in the past few days.
                  Check back in a week or so.

Sorry for any confusion.
                  Best wishes.

-Craze

Comment

• Craze
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Oct 2002

BlackBeauty II is now available w/ 18-band EQ.
                    See "Skins Reviews" in this forum.

Comment

• xoas
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Apr 2002

From the department of fairly obscure but marinally useful facts, comes the following insights about EQ presets as they occur in dBpowerAMP Audio Player skins with 20 and 10 band EQ, and the 18 band DSP EQ setting for dBpowerAMP Music Converter:

1. If you try to load a saved preset created on a 20 band EQ skin in dAP onto the 18 band DSP EQ in dMC, the first 18 bands will show up (which includes the 2 dummy bands) and the last two slider settings will be dropped. In this scenario, I suppose that the previously non-functional dummy sliders are now functional in this context since they represent active EQ settings but I will confess that I am not completely certain of this.

2. If you load an EQ setting created in dAP with a 10-band EQ, the dMC DSP EQ will translate this to a comparable 18 band setting. This almost places it on a par with creating and saving EQ settings on an 18 band EQ.

3. The situation worsens when you try to use settings created on a 20 band dAP skin to a 10 band dAP skin (in this case only the first 10 settings are preserved from the 20 band setting) or when you try to use EQ settings created on a 10 band dAP skin in a 20 band skin (only the first 10 sliders are set on the 20 band EQ and the final 10 sliders remain in neutral).

4. There may be some exceptions (as I recall there are case where the original EQ presets (as opposed to user-created presets) will translate faithfully to either 10-band or 20-band EQ's

Note to Craze-Thanks for the updates to Black Beauty. If I might make a suggestion, you might want to modify one of the studio skins to 18 band EQ for EQ fans out there, since those skins are so far unrivalled (at least within the world of dAP skins) in their ability to fine-tune EQ settings (though knowing you, I would not be surprised if you already had this on your to-do list).

Best wishes,
                      Bill

Comment

• Craze
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Oct 2002

Yes. I have been pondering the thought. Those skins would appear to be a bit more challenging to rework. Especially StudioPro.

I'm doing a bit of damage control on BlackBeauty II.

Razgo discovered an error on my part within the Equalizer. Anyone who downloaded the new release up until 7:15pm EST today should probably go get a new copy, which I believe is working correctly now.

Craze

Comment

Working...

]]>