title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Maximum Normalization ???

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JMC
    • Oct 2005

Maximum Normalization ???

How much normalization can one use before it causes clipping or some other problem. Does the answer differ by file type??
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: Maximum Normalization ???

It actually differs between files. I forget what value I heard was a good number. One more thing: Normalization does NOT quiet loud files, it only makes quiet files louder.

Comment

• xoas
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Apr 2002

Re: Maximum Normalization ???

As LtData has suggested, the answer to your question varies from file to file depending upon the recording volume used for each file.
      You can safely assume that Simple Volume normalization set at 0 dB/100% will not add extra clipping to even the loudest track (but if the track already exhibits clipping, you are out of luck. Further, this statement, while true for the home user, is not necessarilty true if you are broadcasting. The other assumption in this is that you are not taking measures (boosting the EQ for example) that might lead sections of the converted track to exhibit clipping when applied with Volume Normalization of 100%.
      Very quiet tracks (that are uniformly quiet throughout) might tolerate higher normalization levels but we have had reported instances of clipping/noise with normalization at 105%.
      File format makes no difference, as far as I know.

Best wishes,
      Bill

Comment

Working...

]]>