title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Normalization question ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joe C
    • Oct 2005

Normalization question ?

I am about 80% done archiving my cd collection, about 2800 songs. I ripped them to FLAC and MP3 using 97% standard normalization. Everything looks good and seems to sound OK including when I edit mp3 or wave using Audacity. But when I analyze files in MP3 Gain it tells me that my files are clipping. I question the accuracy of MP3 Gain because it tells me that some songs ripped without any effects also show clipping. I'm thinking that I need to start over archiving without any effects. Any comments would help
    Joe C
  • xoas
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2002

Re: Normalization question ?

I was looking at some files in Nero Wave editor and noted that some files without normalization (and recorded directly to wave), would show signal spikes off the scale on several tracks. I found that by increasing the resolution of these files in the Nero Wave Editor program, these apparent spikes would no longer appear to be off the scale.
    I would wonder what you would find if you ripped the same track directly to wave without normalization and tried them through MP3 Gain if you would still see the clipping? My guess is that you would. In that case, unless the clipping was apparent on playback and/or could be confirmed in Audacity, I wouldn't worry about this. The one exception I would make is if you are involved in broadcasting and you intend to broadcast these files. In that case you may well be better off using volume quieten before using normalization (see: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=8291).

Best wishes,
    Bill

Comment

• Joe C
      • Oct 2005

Thanks Bill. I'm just archiving my cd collection in case I lose them in a settlement or something... So I'm just looking for the most accurate way to save then in lossless.
      joe

Comment

• xoas
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2002

Archiving without volume normalization would probably be better but I don't think that starting over would make any sense unless you detect actual audible problems.

Best wishes,
        Bill

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

>97% standard normalization

Normalization will not reduce the level of audio (ie 3% above 97%), the clipping must have been present on the original CD, if that is how they want it...
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Joe C
            • Oct 2005

Thanks for the info. I think MP3 Gain just has a low tolerance. I think I should be pretty safe archiving at 97%. A number of files i ripped with no dsp showed clipping as well.
            thanks
            joe c

Comment

Working...

]]>