title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

avi to mpeg converter?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • yassirnasir
    • Mar 2005

avi to mpeg converter?

hey people i just wanted to ask that if anyone knew of a FREE converter that will let me convert my avi movies in to dvd format. i tried like 5 programmes but none worked .well one did but it only converted 5 mins of it since i was unregisterted.

please reply. THANX

P.S CAN SOMEONE CORRECT ME THAT AVI FILES HAVE TO BE CHANGED INTO MPEG2 FORMAT TO BE PLAYABLE ON DVD PLAYER.IS THIS TRUE???
  • ChristinaS
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2004

Re: avi to mpeg converter?

Read the specs on the DVD player. But yes, probably AVI won't work.

Free converters to mpg are scarce to non-existant.

You can however use Nero to burn a VCD from your avi (if it's less than 30 minutes), and after that your VCD has a segment on it with a file suffixed by .dat which is in fact an mpg .

But if all you want is to burn a DVD out of your avi's just use the dvd burning program you got with your dvd burner (there should have been one). Mine came with Sonic MyDVD. Not that hot, but better than nothing.

Comment

• neilthecellist
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Dec 2004

Just use FRAPS to stream it to real time raw AVI format. Then use VirtualDub to compress it to MPEG format. That's free, but time consuming.

Have fun.

Comment

• gameplaya15143
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Sep 2005

virtualdub makes avi only

personally i use quenc for mpeg1/2 encoding, it even has a simple dvd authoring feature, best of all, its FREE

burn with dvddecrypter (free)

Comment

• neilthecellist
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Dec 2004

VirtualDub doesn't just create AVI's. You need to select the proper video codec.

Comment

• ChristinaS
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Apr 2004

Does Virtualdub automatically come with an mpeg encoding codec? Because many programs can convert to mpeg as long as you have the codec. Got tons of those programs but I don't have the mpeg encoding codec.

Comment

• gameplaya15143
              dBpoweramp Enthusiast
              • Sep 2005

virtualdub outputs to avi ONLY
              virtualdubmod can output to ogm and mkv also

any video for windows codec (vcm) can be used in virtualdub
              any audio for windows codec (acm) can be used in virtualdub

virtualdub can be used as a frameserver to an external encoder (so you can use all the awsome filters), that is about as close to an mpg encoder that it can get
              (unless you count ffvfw/ffdshow's buggy ability to put mpeg1/2 in avi :thumbdown )

there are a few mpeg1/2 encoders out there for free, you just have to know where to look for them
              quenc
              avidemux (i think)
              bbmpeg
              HC
              .... and so on
              you might want to check out dvdstyler for authoring :D

Comment

Working...

]]>