title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Problem with Windows Explorer

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ChristinaS
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2004

Re: Problem with Windows Explorer

Dear friend, I don't want to disable preview. I want to remove that which makes it not work LOL!

I like WMP in all its glory. I have no use for MPC other than it allowed me to play some video mp4's that my little Sanyo video camera unfortunately produces without me being the slave of Quicktime. The byproduct of installing the directshow filters from Real Alternative (plus 3ivx I think) was that WMP 10 could also play those same files where I actually have control over how everything is displayed (video quality, equalizer, SRS wow, etc), unlike MPC where I can't do almost anything. And the real bonus was that I could then use Windows Media Encoder to re-encode those mp4 videos to wmv so that I could actually use them for further processing - including burning a dvd with those videos. :D

Roundabout way to get what I need but that's the way it works sometimes. I wasn't about to buy Quicktime Pro or any of the other programs that were promising to do this in one simple step - but whose trial versions did not produce anything acceptable (when they worked at all) to persuade me to buy any of those.

Comment

• gameplaya15143
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • Sep 2005

Originally posted by ChristinaS
      Dear friend, I don't want to disable preview. I want to remove that which makes it not work LOL!
      well.. that would be explorer.exe and/or the preview dlls
      :D both can be removed, but i doubt you want to do that

as for further processing any video....
      Main Page,Advanced Scripting Tips,Advanced topics,Arrays,Aspect ratios,AviSynth FAQ,AviSynth Syntax,AviSynth v3,Avisynth Plugin Development in C,Block statements,Changelist

wmv = even more lossy video quaity & more lossy audio quality

Comment

• ChristinaS
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2004

Are you kidding me? Not about to start scripting my video conversions LOL!

WMV is fine, it all depends what your start out with, and what you select for your output parameters.

I prefer it to mpg for web streaming any day. If you want to stream it on the web you cannot expect dvd quality.

I can't produce mpg anyway. I refuse to buy the programs that would do it because they haven't convinced me that they truly are worth the money. The trial versions either didn't work or produced poor results.

My original mp4's aren't any good quality to start with. The camera is not great especially in low light. I can't expect miracles. The only advntage is that it stores clips on an SD card as individual video files, so I don't have to bother with video captures which are a pain to do, besides being very time and hd space consuming. I don't do pro video productions (oh, so far from that :D ), so this is fine, if only the output weren't such a proprietary format as mp4.

Comment

• gameplaya15143
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
          • Sep 2005

off topic:
          mp4 is an open standard, but not patent free
          if you want mpg.. go get QuEnc its free, does mpeg1 and 2 and mp2 or ac3 audio... you have to have avisynth installed to use it, but you wont need to write a script if the input is *.avi

- its still pretty easy though
          directshowsource("input.ext", fps=##.##)
          bilinearresize(width,height)
          converttoyv12()

not that wmv is bad.. there are just better quality alternatives out there
          - x264, xvid, vorbis, mp3... in ogm or mkv

on topic:
          why would you leave preview on for videos? it just slows down your computer when you access the directory. (and its soooo annoying when winblows decides to use 'thumbnail' view for every folder, even after i've set the default to list :boese10: )

Comment

• ChristinaS
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Apr 2004

Off-topic continued:

mp4 is what my camera makes, not my choice.

mpg would be helpful to make dvd's out of video files.

wmv is what I prefer for web streaming.

Comment

Working...

]]>