title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

continuous (live) tracks

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • steerpike
    • Jul 2005

continuous (live) tracks

What's the best way to handle a live concert CD ... I'd like to convert it in such a way that, on playback, each track 'flows' into the next track - no 'gap' between the tracks. Is this a feature of how the track is ripped, or are there other factors? My goal is to playback on an MP3 player.

Thanks!
  • ChristinaS
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2004

Re: continuous (live) tracks

The mp3 format itself is not gapless.

Your cd is made up of X separate tracks, but the gap between the tracks is for all intents and purposes nil. That's why when it's played it sounds continuous.

When you rip normally it you will produce X audio files. But in dMC Audio CD Input there is an option to Rip as one. That will rip the cd and produce one single audio file. This is probably what you'd like to have.

I'd recommend though also riping the tracks individually in case you ever need them separately.

Comment

• xoas
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Apr 2002

In addition to what Christina has stated, you should be aware that mp3 inserts a very slight gap at the end of each track you convert to mp3. The one exception to this is the Blade codec from Codec Central (link at the top of the page).
      My own recommendation is that you first try the Lame codec and then give Blade a try if you need to.
      Please be aware also that not all mp3 players support ggapless playback (in which case your only option would be the rip as one option described by Christina).
      With a cd ripped using the rip as one you will only be able to listen to the cd as one continuous track. dMC cannot bookmark the separate tracks (which is why Christina notes that you would probably want to convert each track individually as well.

Best wishes,
      Bill

Comment

• GSV3MiaC
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Jun 2005

Originally posted by xoas
        Please be aware also that not all mp3 players support ggapless playback (in which case your only option would be the rip as one option described by Christina).
        There are very few, if any (?) MP3 players which support gapless playback yet (a feature of the chip(s) they are all built around). For my 'continuous' CDs ('Days of Future Passed' spring to mind, or Carole King's 'Fantasy') I just ript he whole thing as one track.

Comment

• ChristinaS
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Apr 2004

I normally rip to wav - it takes the guessing out of it and it's lossless. Then I dont' have to bother with the cd again. I might change this method eventually to rip to wma lossless perhaps if I find space becomes a problem.

So for starters I'd rip the whole thing to one single lossless format file, also rip each track to individual lossless format files.

Then I convert to whatever formats I need from the lossless format I used. That involves some degree of guessing at times, in the quest for the best compressed formats or the best quality with the given constraints I may be working with.

Comment

• dc8driver
            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by ChristinaS
            The mp3 format itself is not gapless.

Your cd is made up of X separate tracks, but the gap between the tracks is for all intents and purposes nil. That's why when it's played it sounds continuous.

When you rip normally it you will produce X audio files. But in dMC Audio CD Input there is an option to Rip as one. That will rip the cd and produce one single audio file. This is probably what you'd like to have.

I'd recommend though also riping the tracks individually in case you ever need them separately.
            Christina,

New to the forum. Where exactly is this feature to rip as one file? I have been lokng for this to rip my mixed cds. Thanks..
            DC

Comment

• ChristinaS
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Apr 2004

It should be in the top right hand corner in dMC Audio CD Input, right under the PowerPakc rocket.

Comment

• LtData
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • May 2004

The "Rip as One" button is right-next to the "Compilation" button and, as ChristinaS said, under the PowerPack rocket.

Note that it is a Power-Pack only feature.

Comment

• gameplaya15143
                  dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                  • Sep 2005

creating a cd where the tracks flow into the next is dependend on 2 things
                  1) how you rip/record/encode it
                  2) how you burn the audio cd

stick with wav/pcm while you work with the content, its easier, everything can open it, better for editing, etc.

if you burn the cd in track-at-once, there will always be a 2 sec gap between tracks. so burn in disk-at-once, then there doesnt have to be gaps between tracks

Comment

Working...

]]>