title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

RIAA admits something!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

RIAA admits something!

Wow, just wow. The RIAA admitted that they don't lose the most money from P2P. Apparently the bigger problem is bootleg CDs. Wow, THAT took some thinking. Look at pretty much all of Asia and the islands over there and a 5 year-old will realize this. Their solution? Copy-protected CDs. Boooooo. Mabye sign less crappy artists and have 30 million albums produced each year, or, heaven forbid, lower your freaking prices. They mildly made sense when CDs were first released and are just ridiculous now. $15-20 for a CD? Right, that's how much DVDs cost, idiots. Mabye aim for $10 and you'll increase sales. In fact, I bet you'll even make MORE money.

Anyway, the link regarding the beginning: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/08/15/riaa_cdr_p2p/
  • GSV3MiaC
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Jun 2005

Re: RIAA admits something!

You =can't= copy protect a music CD!! Worst case someone plays is back in an anechoic chamber and redigitizes it. I guess if you made it unplayable .. 8>.

Making copying unprofitable is much the best solution. Would also be the best solution to the war on drugs, and much else .. 'illegal' just means fatter profits for all the wrong people.

Comment

• neilthecellist
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Dec 2004

HA! Copy protect a music CD?

****COUGH*** Auxiliary Input ***/COUGH***

Comment

• GSV3MiaC
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Jun 2005

Oh I'm sure they can come up with a digital coding system that means it is still a secure bitstream at the point where it hits the speakers. (Assuming we all buy new speakers, of course).

However nobody has figured out how to encode the stuff that has to arrive at your ears.

Comment

• xoas
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Apr 2002

Maybe their ultimate solution would be they to implant microchips to allow them to bill you for what you actually hear and maybe even for those tunes you keep hearing in your mind!
          ssssshhhhhhh!

Comment

• Wayne
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Aug 2002

Will you get a rebate for any bad music that you accidently hear or for the annoying tune that you can not get out of your head?

Comment

• neilthecellist
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Dec 2004

Hehe, that'd be nice.

Comment

• xoas
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Apr 2002

Unlikely. Can you return a cd now if you find the music on it not to your liking?

On the other hand, I wounder if they could sue you for damaging their copyright if your incessasnt off-key humming drives people away from their tune?

Comment

• neilthecellist
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Dec 2004

Return a CD after you**coughed**ripped**cough** it? Just go to your local public library, they should have all the latest CD's and the old CD's taht you want.

Comment

• LtData
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • May 2004

Good job neil. Way to prove my point!

Comment

• tunetyme
                      • Aug 2005

There are many solutions. Unfortunately the RIAA has their collective head "in the sand" where the sun don't shine. Lowering prices is the surest way to stop illegal duplication. I find that "Your Music" at $5.99 delived to your door is a fair price for a CD.

Another solution to the problem is fight fire with fire. Use the courts. All you need to do is file a small claims action against any of the record companies and they must have a lawyer represent them (its the law). It will cost record companies anywhere from $3,000 to $5,000 per case for legal fees. Any copy protected CD that violates our rights to make back up copies or use them as we please for our personnal enjoyment can be sued. Not to mention defective pressings that they sell. Just do the math if a thousand suits are filed with a cost of $3,000 then they paid out in legal fees $3,000,000. It doesn't matter if you win or lose we just need to raise the cost of their abusive tactics toward the public who buys their products. I just don't get their reasoning, screw the people who buy our products... I wonder what business school they went to... (law school). As always, the only one who wins is the lawyers.

I found a solution for identifying bad pressings. Thanks to Spoon's recomendations, I bought a Plextor Premium drive. Plextools (comes with the drive) will analyze each CD and identify the C1, C2 and CU errors. C1 & C2 are correctable whereas the CU errors are not. So, now when I say that I hear a problem with a CD, I can prove it beyond a shadow of a doubt. Not all Plextor drives are capable of using this feature in the Plextools software. This alone has been worth the additional cost for the Plextor drive. Since I bought it I have returned between 2 to 5% of the CD's I've purchased without any argument.

Tunetyme
                      Last edited by tunetyme; August 23, 2005, 05:44 PM.

Comment

• ChristinaS
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Apr 2004

It's funny, today's music industry (and its adoring public) are so fickle that today's hit is tomorrow's forgotten flop. Tomorrow I'll buy it deeply discounted on special if I still consider it worthy in my old-fashioned way. Otherwise I can hear it all on the radio until I'm sick of today's hit and it becomes tomorrow's flop :D

Comment

Working...

]]>