title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Is it possible to record a CD with crossfaded tracks?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Unregistered

Is it possible to record a CD with crossfaded tracks?

I'm trying to record a CD using dBpowerAMP CD Writer and I want to crossfade tracks on the CD. Is that possible? If yes, how do I do it? Thanx.
  • xoas
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2002

Re: Is it possible to record a CD with crossfaded tracks?

If you have Power Pack you can apply the Volume Fade dsp effect to your tracks which will allow you to set a certain period of time for each track to fade in and out.
    CD Writer will still keep each track separate so there would never be an occasion where the fade out of one track is overlapped by the fade in of the next track.

In theory you could set up your tracks (in wav or whatever other format you like) play them on a player that allows actual cross-fading, and record them as a single track using dMC Auxilary Input and burning that track to cd with CD Writer. But then you could not access each track separately.

At this point, these would be the options available through CD Writer, at least to the best of my knowledge. If any other user has some other ideas or suggestions, I hope they will speak up.

Best wishes,
    Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

• Unregistered

XOAS: So, basically, unless I have Power Pack, I can't crossfade and still keep the tracks separate?

Comment

• xoas
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2002

dBpowerAMP CD Writer (dCW) will ALWAYS keep tracks separate.
        As a result, you cannot burn a disc with dCW that would feature true cross-fading between tracks (where there is overlap the the track fading out and the track fading in) unless you can record a file of separate tracks playing with true cross fade. In this case, however, you would only have one single track, you could not move between the individual tracks.
        With Power Pack you can use the Volume Fade DSP effect to create a user-defined fade at the beginning and/or end of each track and this would create a bit of a cross-fade effect (it would not be a true crossfade because there would be no overlap);
        There may be programs that could either generate and burn discs with true cross-fading. I am sure there are programs that can generate the kind of fade at the beginning and end of tracks and which are free. I suspect you could use the Audacity sound-editing program to this (available here: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/). It is free. It is likely to be more labor-intensive than a program that would do this type of fading automatically.
        If you create tracks that will fade in at the beginning of the track and fade out at the end of the track, you can still use dCW to burn a cd with such tracks.

So you do have options, even without the Power Pack. Perhaps this information can help you decide what direction you want to go.

Perhaps one or more of our participants might be able to recommend a program that will support true gapless burning or a program that will allow you to create tracks with a fade at the begining and end of the track.

Best wishes,
        Bill Mikkelsen

Comment

• ChristinaS
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Apr 2004

With Nero 6.0.0.0 you can create an audio cd compilation and request the following:
          1) to remove silence at the end of tracks (i.e. the silence which may be part of the recorded song).- - this is in the main compilation window.
          2) To have a pause of 0 seconds or even 0 frames at the start of each track. For the first track only you must still have a pause of 2-3 seconds, as this is a requirement of the burner apparently (at least in mine it is). This is in properties of a track.
          3) To apply various effects to the selected tracks, among then Fade in and Fade out. This is in properties of a track.
          4) In the compilation window, if you select several tracks and click on properties for them, you actually have an options to cross fade with previous track. From what I saw, all this does is steal the specified number of seconds from the previous track and start the next track.

I tried this and the result was no pause between tracks (that I could discern), and end of one track fades out and as soon as it's over the next track fades in. Well, at least it does that as long as the duration of the crossfade is less than the duration of the fade out & fade in, otherwise the crossfade cuts into the fade out of the previous track.

Comment

• xoas
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Apr 2002

Good tip!
            I see that Roxio Creator Classic 6 can reduce gaps between tracks to 0, do fade-ins and fade outs and also has settings for crossfades.
            Does anyone else have any recommendations for burning software that can handle fade-ins/fade outs/crossfades?

Comment

Working...

]]>