title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Good sound card"

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • savagcl
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Aug 2004

Good sound card"

Ok, I'm looking to replace my current sound card (audigy).
    Also looking for a 24 bit capable sound (not digital tho) card. My speakers are
    not digital. I have a set of 5.1 speakers tho.
    Was looking at the creative cards that comes with the controls on the front
    panel (in a spare drive bay) but they are expensive.

Do the speaker wires also come out of the front panel? Don't think i'd like those
    speaker wires in the front panel of the case.

If i went with the creative top-of-the-line would a power supply upgrade be
    needed also?

Looking for suggestions here.

thanks,
    savagcl
    (clif)
  • ChristinaS
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2004

Re: Good sound card"

Originally posted by savagcl
    Ok, I'm looking to replace my current sound card (audigy).
    Also looking for a 24 bit capable sound (not digital tho) card. My speakers are
    not digital. I have a set of 5.1 speakers tho.
    Was looking at the creative cards that comes with the controls on the front
    panel (in a spare drive bay) but they are expensive.

Do the speaker wires also come out of the front panel? Don't think i'd like those
    speaker wires in the front panel of the case.

If i went with the creative top-of-the-line would a power supply upgrade be
    needed also?

Looking for suggestions here.

thanks,
    savagcl
    (clif)
    Having front panel access is a great bonus. The speakers can usually still be plugged in the back as usual. The front jacks are for extra accessories. headphones can go there, mic, line-in, optical i/o, midi , etc.

Audigy Platinum II has a front panel. It's quite good and comes with a pretty comprehensive set of programs too.

You may need a better powersupply, especially if your current one is bottom of the line. It depends. I was running my pc with a 120GB HD, cd-rom, cd-burner and a Hercules Game Theater X soundcard with external rack on a 230W power supply. I changed it when I got a dvd burner.

If I get a new one (since my Hercules is ailing now) I think it might be a Soundblaster Extigy http://us.creative.com/products/prod...07&product=585 - because of the external module. At least until I find out the price and/or negative reviews :D

Comment

• Unregistered

I heard some (kinda) bad things about having a USB sound card hookup.
      Can't remember what tho. Maybe lag time (even with USB 2.0). Your
      right in doing a little research before buying - smart move. Prices vary
      quite a bit from store to store or a web purchase.

Power supply - my system is packed but still has original PS (250W).
      Its a good thing i can't run everything at once. Was thinking of going
      to a 400W. Anything less wouldn't be worth the effort and a 400W will
      insure enough power for future upgrades.

thanks, Christina,
      clif

Comment

• ChristinaS
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Unregistered
        I heard some (kinda) bad things about having a USB sound card hookup.
        Can't remember what tho. Maybe lag time (even with USB 2.0). Your
        right in doing a little research before buying - smart move. Prices vary
        quite a bit from store to store or a web purchase.

Power supply - my system is packed but still has original PS (250W).
        Its a good thing i can't run everything at once. Was thinking of going
        to a 400W. Anything less wouldn't be worth the effort and a 400W will
        insure enough power for future upgrades.

thanks, Christina,
        clif
        Hmmm, my current soundcard (Hercules GT X) has an external module conencted to the pc by USB. However the main module is like any other sound card, installed in its own slot. I need the features available on that external module (e.g. the optical S/Pdif i/o and the midi port). I had no big problem with the USB connected module, other than the stupid Plug & Play feature in W 2K which goes through the process of reinstalling the darn things every time I happen to reconnect to a different USB port (as happens when I take it all apart and put it back together). I have so many things on usb ports that it's impossible to replug them always to the same port every time. So scanner, printer, webcam, external soundcard module and whatnot all go through the stupid detection every time - all asking for the installation disks too :vmad: . Right now some part of my soundcard is faulty though, as I get an error on boot. It still works, but I lost the automatic switch between headphones and speakers, as the control program is what bombs out. The manufacturer sent me new drivers to no avail. Most likely it's hardware related. The speakers may be also wonky, they seem to crackle at times. I love them dearly though, my little discontinued mini JBL's! They've taken a beating over time unfortunately. So I'm due for an upgrade pretty soon. But I'll wait until I can wait no more :D

Comment

• Unregistered

Some of that sounds like a Win2K problem. Its not the easyest version
          of windows. XP is better at keeping track of things in the USB stuff.
          As far as the sound card problems, i only install the drivers, EAX and
          AudioHQ. The rest of the stuff is just bells and whistles and does nothing
          to enhanse the sounds. Yep, sounds like the speakers are due for an
          upgrade - are you looking at the 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 versions?

I just looked at www.pricewatch.com and saw the top-of-the-line SB for
          $167.00 as opposed to creatives $249.00 (Not that that's the one
          i'll end up with.....).

clif

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

Terratec or M-Audio tend to be better than sound blasters.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• ChristinaS
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Unregistered
              Some of that sounds like a Win2K problem. Its not the easyest version
              of windows. XP is better at keeping track of things in the USB stuff.
              As far as the sound card problems, i only install the drivers, EAX and
              AudioHQ. The rest of the stuff is just bells and whistles and does nothing
              to enhanse the sounds. Yep, sounds like the speakers are due for an
              upgrade - are you looking at the 5.1, 6.1 or 7.1 versions?

I just looked at www.pricewatch.com and saw the top-of-the-line SB for
              $167.00 as opposed to creatives $249.00 (Not that that's the one
              i'll end up with.....).

clif
              Not looking yet - I don't dare :D

You know how it is. Inside every little problem there's a huge one just wating to come out. For a little upgrade you end up having to upgrade lots more than you intended for all sorts of reasons. And money and headache.

I added a DVD burner. I had to remove my cd-rom drive fto accomodate it and opted to keep the cd burner instead. I also added a secodd hard drive, while the case was opened. Needed to replace the powersupply. I knew that and was prepared for it. Didn't expect the video-card to croak in the process. Had to put in a new one. Luckily my son has quite a collection of spare parts, some that even work :D

Spoon, I heard about Terratec, but I can't remember what, LOL! I did look at it on the net. I should go back and dig up that info again.
              Last edited by ChristinaS; October 06, 2004, 10:11 PM. Reason: can't spell!

Comment

• savagcl
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Aug 2004

Spare parts - all my spare parts go into my daughters PC. Shes in chicago and we
                go up every 3/4 months. so i take the spares with me and plug them into her PC.

Those terratac's look kinda expensive to me.

clif

Comment

• ChristinaS
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Apr 2004

Originally posted by savagcl
                  Spare parts - all my spare parts go into my daughters PC. Shes in chicago and we
                  go up every 3/4 months. so i take the spares with me and plug them into her PC.

Those terratac's look kinda expensive to me.

clif
                  At this point price is pretty irrelevant to me, as I'm in Montreal. Unless they are sold here, locally, I'd be forking over tons of bucks to the government in sales taxes and/or duties, Free Trade Agreement be damned, plus the shipping and brokerage charges from the likes of UPS :vmad: I avoid cross-border shopping like the plague.

Comment

Working...

]]>