title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Auxiliary Input chops end of track

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Glen
    • Dec 2003

Auxiliary Input chops end of track

I did not see a section for Auxiliary Input questions so I hope this General Forum is OK to use for the following problem:

I am trying to use the Auxiliary Input function for recording LP's and tapes. I downloaded the latest Power Pack to try out the automatic trim functions. So far it looks like the best track splitter I have found but there is one problem. The end of each track is truncated by just a fraction of a second. Is there a way to have the auto trim leave a little more at the end of the track? I have searched the forums but did not find anything to help with this. I even tried the help files, too.

I am using XP Pro if that makes any difference. SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio. Line in, from stereo. Audio quality is fine, no problem until end of track.
  • Razgo
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Auxiliary Input chops end of track

good question.

would increasing the auto end ms's work? in theory it should do?

also someone mentioned for tapes "Auto End When VU Drops Below 5% For 10000 ms""

Last edited by Spoons; 12-07-2003, 08:47 AM.

Comment

• Geezer999
      • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Glen
      I did not see a section for Auxiliary Input questions so I hope this General Forum is OK to use for the following problem:

I am trying to use the Auxiliary Input function for recording LP's and tapes. I downloaded the latest Power Pack to try out the automatic trim functions. So far it looks like the best track splitter I have found but there is one problem. The end of each track is truncated by just a fraction of a second. Is there a way to have the auto trim leave a little more at the end of the track? I have searched the forums but did not find anything to help with this. I even tried the help files, too.

I am using XP Pro if that makes any difference. SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio. Line in, from stereo. Audio quality is fine, no problem until end of track.
      Can't help with your problem, but could you indicated what settings you used for After Start and Stop. The default indicates 10-750 and 10-3000. What would you suggest as a test for my first LP recording. A friend told me that he tried to record LP with the defaults and it just kept stopping and starting tracks within the same track. Thanks.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

Try the defaults, if no go increase each of the fields slowly (ie 15% for 900)
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• tiny_montgomery
          • Aug 2004

Just downloaded PowerPack to assist with converting vinyl and tapes to MP3s, and I'm experiencing exactly the same problem. It picks up the beginning of tracks perfectly, but frequently misses off the final fraction.

I'm currently experimenting with Auto End When VU Drops Below values of 2% (any lower value causes it to get confused by background noise) and as low a ms value as my test record will tolerate.

What prompts me to write is the following, found in the Auxiliary Input Help:

"Another enhancement Power Pack offers is correct adding and removal of Auto Start / End sound data. Let me elaborate - taking Auto Start first, if the recording was set to begin after 750 ms (3/4 second) worth of sound then the Power Pack is smart enough to remember this 750 ms of sound data so it appears at the beginning of the file being recorded. The opposite is also true for Auto End, if 3000 ms (3 seconds) of quiet is required to end a recording then this quiet bit is removed."

If I'm reading this correctly, Power Pack adds the chunk of sound used to activate recording using Auto Start to the beginning of the resultant file - happy with that. However, it also suggests that the chunk of sound used to flag the end of the track is removed. This seems somewhat counterintuitive to me: many tracks end with fadeouts or decaying notes, information that would seem to be discarded from the point the level dips below the defined % value and th ms clock starts ticking, which certainly chimes with my experience. Am I missing something? Should I spend more time tweaking that ms value? Any assistance would be appreciated!

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

The power pack means everything is saved, you should try larger % and larger ms, or use the smart track length feature.
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• tiny_montgomery
              • Aug 2004

Thanks for that - I've had a quick meddle with increased values and initial results look promising.

As an aside - how about incorporating a panic button for when the stylus is lodged in the runout groove still churning out sufficient noise to prevent the end track function from triggering? At the moment hitting Cancel causes the entire track to be deleted, which is a little drastic when everything up to that point is usable. (Especially when said track is 14 minutes long, as has just happened to me!)

Cheers again for your assistance, Spoon.

Comment

• Spoon
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

Can you click the 'Record' button up to end the recording manually?
                Spoon
                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• tiny_montgomery
                  • Aug 2004

Apologies for not replying sooner, but yes, you're absolutely right, that does the trick. Thanks.

Comment

Working...

]]>