title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Newbie Question About Downloading and using DB Power Amp

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • soundhd
    • Jan 2013

Newbie Question About Downloading and using DB Power Amp

Have finally decided on a NAS setup for my first venture into computer audio (a Synology DS112 and a Western Digital Red 2TB disk) for storing the music files. Currenly using a older Dell desktop with Windows XP (plan to get a new desktop later this year). Plan is to digitize both my CD and vinyl collection. Starting with the CD's first (1200+).

Only experience with ripping CD's is in I-Tunes ("Importing" they call it) that I use for my IPod. So far have only used Wav files (wanted the best sounding music that I could get). I plan on keeping my I-Tunes/Ipod seperate from the new system.
    Going to use DB Power Amp Reference for the ripping software. Anything I need to know before I buy the hardware and download DB Power Amp? Will I have any problems with keep using WAV files or should I use a different format...still want the best sound possible......
    Any advice, help, etc.....would be greatly appreciated.......

thanks
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Newbie Question About Downloading and using DB Power Amp

It is likely that the Synology will not read the WAVE tags, you would be better with FLAC.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• GarethA
      • Jan 2013

Re: Newbie Question About Downloading and using DB Power Amp

Administrator/Spoon - correct/delete as appropriate

Beginners Guide to setting up Windows 7 (64 bit), Windows Media Player 12 before you start ripping with dBpoweramp for the first time or until you become familiar with this operating environment/structure).

If, like me, you are new (2013)to ripping your CD collection to your computer then you do not want WMP12 playing havoc with your newly ripped files. Why use WMP? My dlna enabled RX V2067 AV Receiver runs with this software.
      I am ripping to FLAC and MP3 using the Multi Encoder with no problems (now).
      Firstly remove My Music folder from your Win7 Library listing;
      Go to > Desktop > Libraries > Music > Organise >Properties - a Music Properties window opens listing the folders in the music library. Highlight the My Music folder and select "Remove" and select "Apply";. I suggest you remove any other music folders until the library is empty.
      If you have existing music files in your My Music folder then go to the original file location and change the folder name to reserve My Music for your dbpa ripped files.
      Open up Windows Media Player, Go to Organise > Manage libraries. A Music Libraries Location windows box appears highlight and "Remove" the My Music folder. I suggest you remove all your music files to assist in an initial clearing up of your WMP data base before rebuilding.
      Now for the contentious part -Completely isolate WMP from the Internet.
      Open WMP and go to Tools > Options - an Options window opens up with a selection of tabs. Work through all the tabs to familiarise yourself with the many user selectable features. You should close/deselect those options which interact with the internet and click "Apply".
      Tab
      Player - deselect each of the following Add local media files....;, Add remote media files...,Connect to Internet.
      Rip Music, Devices, Burn, Performance - do not change settings.
      Library - deselect all/any options under this tab.
      Plug ins - do not change settings.
      Privacy - deselect top 4 boxes under - Enhanced Playback and Device Experience - leaving - Set clock on devices automatically - and the remainder of the tab as you found it.
      Security - disable all boxes.
      DVD - leave as you find it.
      Network - leave as you find it.
      Now to totally clear the old WMP data base follow the instructions at referenced web sit below as far as steps 1&2 only - for now.
      Go to How to rebuild your Windows Media Player 12 Library
      https://www.groovypost.com/howto/mic...s-media-player.

The above site is highly informative and has numerous useful comments.
      Folder set up prior to ripping
      My Folder Settings for each CD to be ripped using Multi Encoder have been selected to satisfy the following grouping of music files which were generated to isolate my early corrupted rips when WMP 12 was connected to the internet and I had a lack of understanding of Win7 Libraries. Use modify as you see fit
      Example
      FLAC Setting Folder Music\Music Collection FLAC-1\Faith Hill - Believe\

MP3 Setting Folder Music\Music Collection MP3-2\Eagles - The very best of\

Computer File Structure
      Gareth>My Music>
      Music Classical FLAC-3
      Music Classical MP3-3
      Music Collection FLAC-1
      Music Collection FLAC-2
      Music Collection MP3-1
      Music Collection MP3-2
      Music Compilations FLAC-4
      Music Compilations MP3-4
      Note that the majority of MP3 Album files do not contain Album Art however the tracks do - unlike the FLAC equivalent which contains both a copy of the Track Album Art plus the dbpa Extraction File.
      Having ripped files to each of the above; then open up WMP as before to access the Music Libraries Location - then select and "Add" each of the above MP3 Music folders only to the WMP Library. Confirm with "OK". This will leave the FLAC files as master copies should anything you do in future corrupt your MP3files
      You will now see the WMP data base systematically regenerate itself! This will take some time depending on the total size of all your files.
      You now have exact unadulterated dbpa MP3 ripped files ready in WMP for playing etc. Execute Step 3 to start WPM if it has not automatically restarted.
      My experience/Knowledge ends here.
      Adding your other music files to the WPM library window will further populate the WPM data base but you are still cut off from the internet. If you re-establish internet connection(s) then who knows what will happen to your dbpa music files. It's a pity the WPM data base cannot be partitioned? Any ideas?
      Try to "Remove" your dbpa files from the active WPM data base via the Music Libraries Location and see what happens - when I did this all my dbpa files disappeared from the WMP data base. This means you can periodically isolate your MP3 files and switch your WMP internet access off and on.....

I hope some will find this useful
      Last edited by GarethA; April 12, 2013, 05:07 PM. Reason: to give full web address

Comment

Working...

]]>