title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Codec icon problem.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Samten
    • Nov 2012

Codec icon problem.

Hello
    I've recently updated from Registered Reference 14.1 to 14.3. The program runs flawlessly but I still have a minor issue with the new release (I had the same problem even with 14.1). In every section of the UI (configuration, cd ripper, music and batch converter) the codec icons are showing the Windows default "no type associated" icons. Is there any way to fix this problem?
    I'm running Windows XP sp3.
    Thanks.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Codec icon problem.

There is nothing you can change, I would not know why it is not working as this information is picked up from the registry, perhaps security software blocking dbpoweramp?
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Samten
      • Nov 2012

I don't think so. dbpoweramp runs perfectly, I have no problems at all, and my security software is very well configured. It's not blocking any software activity and never got an error message. It's more like a software structure issue rather than a software activity problem...I think. It is only a minor issue, it doesn't bother me that much but I would prefer to have it fixed. Should I uninstall it and reinstall it again? (If yes..will I lose my registration?) All codec icons are showing the correct types in the encoder folder.
      Thanks for the immediate reply and help.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

dBpoweramp would have to access HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT just for this operation.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Samten
          • Nov 2012

Spoon...you just gave me an idea when you mentioned the registry. I'm searching the registry for invalid or destroyed values, with caution of course. I've found a couple of "strange" values. I'm also doing a little research in general 'cause I think there might be another program I have installed in the past conflicting with the .ico files. Thank you very much for your help!!
          Still searching. I'll keep you informed and post when I find a solution. Maybe it could help others also.
          Thanks!

Comment

• Samten
            • Nov 2012

Spoon, I found the solution! Problem solved!! :happy: After almost two years with this issue and having decided that there was nothing I could do (uninstalling and reinstalling dbpoweramp was not an option fearing I would not resolve the problem and lose my registration too) I have it fixed!! After you mentioned the registry issue I started digging in and found some "strange" entries. From this I found that something was wrong about the Windows FTA that wasn't so obvious all this time! (I also copied an .ico file from the encoder folder to another folder and showed the default Windows "no program" icon. In the encoder folder though it was showing the correct icon) To make it short, there was a hidden forced association between Nero Photo Snap Viewer and .ico files.(or maybe a conflict because Photo Snap can't read .ico files) I had installed Nero 9, about two years ago, and had minor issues with FTA. Nero was automatically setting Photo Snap as the default program for a couple of file types. I edited the FTA without noticing the .ico issue and from that point I completely forgot the matter, until a week ago when I updated to R14.3. Today when I started editing the FTA again, disaster happened!(I was about to contact Microsoft support but finally I didn't). All FTA was messed up! I couldn't even uninstall Photo Snap because is integrated to Nero 9. So I uninstalled the whole Nero 9! And now, everything in dbpoweramp is normal! I can see the codec icons in the UI and dropdown menus!! Before, I was using dbpoweramp and smiling. Now I'm using it and dancing with joy!! Photo Snap is totally crap (and I've never used it not even once...)
            I really thank you very much for your help and advise!! Without it I would have probably not resolved the issue! dbpoweramp is my favorite program!
            Thanks!
            Sam

Comment

Working...

]]>