title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Compilation Album Artist naming

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rodhudson
    • Aug 2009

Compilation Album Artist naming

Hello. I'm currently evaluating this software and 4 others with a view to switching over to a 'paid for' version for a small Radio Station that we run.

For various reasons [and 'Various' seems to be the operative word here!!] I like this software the best, were it not for this one issue that I yet to reslove.

All the other seem to have no problem in producing the Artists name, even though there are 18 different ones on a Compilation CD. Of course the Album Name lists 'Various Artists', but when it comes to individual file-naming, they have no trouble in matching the %A or %1, or whatever with the actual artist on the track.

But I can't do it with 'dbpoweramp'. I have read the 'Tutorial' on file-naming on this Forum, but can still get no results,other than the useless 'Various Artists', and I'm beginning to wonder if this is caused by the Database that is used to look up the names in the first place ?

I don't know enough about this program yet to know if we have any control over that. You do with some other programs....but not all by any means.

Of course, that may be a complete 'red herring', but I'm just sharing my thoughts.

If anyone can help with this, I'd be grateful. Although new to this Forum, I'm not a Novice, and am quite 'au fait' with programming, so I don't think I'm doing anything silly....!! But maybe......
    Cheers.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: Compilation Album Artist naming

You are ripping audio CDs to which format?
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• rodhudson
      • Aug 2009

Mainly FLAC and OGG VORBIS

Comment

• rodhudson
        • Aug 2009

Additional question: Is there a setting on this Forum to be emailed when there is a new Post on my Topic ? If so, where do I set it up ? I seem to have missed it!
        Thanks

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

Your issue is that you cannot get the artist name to the filename when the album artist is set to 'Various Artists'?
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• rodhudson
            • Aug 2009

One further point. It seems that the Rippers that are producing the ‘Various Artists’ named individually, are mainly using the DBFREE and MUSICBRAINZ Databases as their sources.

Also, it seems to me that they have the Artist name [ in the case of Compilations] included as part of the TRACK name.

The Tutorial mentions AMG is the main Database, so is it possible that they DON’T do this ?

Just a thought.

But I’m sure I can’t be the first to have come up against this problem, with the need to find a solution. If I’m told that the ‘REFERENCE’ version handles it OK, then fine. I’ll buy it.

But I don’t want to buy first and then find out that it can’t do it either! In that instance we’d stay with CD ex, which does handle it on the lines mentioned above, although isn’t as good in many other areas, in my opinion.

Thanks for any help that may be forthcoming !!

Comment

• Spoon
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

For compilations the correct handling:

Album Artist is left as ""
              Each track gets the unqiue artist name
              The track title should not contain the artist name
              Compilation Flag is set in the ID Tag
              Spoon
              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Wayne
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Aug 2002

I'm sure that with dMC you can put the track artist in the filename it depends on the naming convention you use.

Comment

• rodhudson
                  • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Wayne
                  I'm sure that with dMC you can put the track artist in the filename it depends on the naming convention you use.
                  Well, We're hoping so. For us, the Album name is irrelevant. We catalogue by Artist name , track name. Which album it's come from doesn't matter, except for reference of course. The difficulty seems to be extracting the data in this order from the Music Databases through dMC, although I'm equally sure it can be done. Just haven't managed to do it yet.
                  As I said before, with Express Rip, CD ex etc it happens straight off. But I'm sure there's a way. [ There's always a way!!]

Comment

• Spoon
                    Administrator
                    • Apr 2002

Set file naming to:

[artist] - [title]
                    Spoon
                    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• rodhudson
                      • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Spoon
                      Set file naming to:

[artist] - [title]
                      We have tried that long ago. The result is usually 'Various Artists' - 'Michelle' [e.g.]
                      I know you said that the Artists name shouldn't be included as part of the Track Title, but I still think that they are on a large number of Compilation CD's. I'm not saying that's correct...just the way it is!

With the ones that don't do that, there is, of course, no problem. I'm concerned about sorting out something for the ones who do!!

It seems to be usually the case that where this happens the Track Title and the Artist are separated by a forward slash, and some programs have the ability to reverse the positioning of the data each side of the slash, to put the Artist first.

I don't know how flexible the 'Programmable Elements' is. Maybe I'll have to look at that.
                      I had thought this would be straight-forward, but it seems not to be!!

Thanks for your suggestions though. More will be welcome!

Comment

• Spoon
                        Administrator
                        • Apr 2002

If the metadata is wrong it is nothing to do with the naming, press ALT + M after the metadata has been retrieved to select from a different provider.
                        Spoon
                        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• rodhudson
                          • Aug 2009

If the metadata is wrong it is nothing to do with the naming, press ALT + M after the metadata has been retrieved to select from a different provider.
                          I don't think the metadata is wrong, or it wouldn't work correctly on other programs, which it does.

Comment

• Spoon
                            Administrator
                            • Apr 2002

Other programs use other providers, we use:

AMG
                            GD3
                            Musicbrainz
                            freedb

Other programs typically just use freedb. For those discs which are incorrect (most likely from AMG) select another provider.
                            Spoon
                            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• rodhudson
                              • Aug 2009

Other programs use other providers, we use:

AMG
                              GD3
                              Musicbrainz
                              freedb

Other programs typically just use freedb. For those discs which are incorrect (most likely from AMG) select another provider.
                              Well done. I think that was the problem !

'CD ex' and 'Express Rip' both mainly use freeDB, and by using your ALT M screen I can see that neither AMG nor GD3 show the Artist on Compiliation. Musicbrainz has no data on some albums [ mainly older I think], but freeDB has Title and Artist.

However the Artist name comes up in the Title, and the song title in the artist name. Which is fine for us, as we file by Artist, and it just means changing the order in the SET for filename dynamics. Absolutely no problem.

Finally [!!] is there a field where we can set the 'Primary' database source to to be freeDB ?

Comment

Working...

]]>