title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

new user choices / manual

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dem
    • Jan 2009

new user choices / manual

Hello all,

I am a bit new to all of this so would appreciate your help.

Firstly, I've been looking at getting a CD ripper (eg the RIPNAS) but the cost seems a bit high. Will I get the same results if I spend approx £150 on a NAS and rip CD's from my laptop using the secure rip software? My aim is to achieve quality, I'm not concerned with speed. I only want to have to rip my CD's once.

Secondly, does the secure rip software come with a user manual?

Thanking you in advance.

Many thanks.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: new user choices / manual

It would all depend on the CD drive on your laptop. RipNAS is for WHS only currently.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• dem
      • Jan 2009

Thank you for that.

If using the secure rip software (and therefore re reading the disc multiple times) and also adjusting the CD drive for offset issues are you saying that there is still a difference between the results achieved by different computer disc drives?

Excuse me if I am being a bit slow on the uptake here but the worlds of hi fi and home computers are fast colliding and I've been happily spending my time on the hi fi planet until now.

One other issue, sort of in the same thread. On the Hi Fi planet there will generally be a great deal of attention paid to the entire system from power supply through to components and cables. If I rip my music to a NAS using a wireless router is the router going to have any impact on the quality of the rip?

Best regards.

Comment

• LtData
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • May 2004

Yes, there is a great difference between different CD drives, unfortunately with laptop drives normally being towards the bottom of the heap.

No, as long as you have a good wireless connection and use this: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthre...ewpost&t=18282

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

For drive ratings see:

<< RESULTs for 2011: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=23074 >> AccurateRip collects data from all drives, normally this is only used to verify a disc is accurate, but can be reversed to calculate which drives are the most accurate (as measured by lowest % inaccurate tracks). This test was previously
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• dem
            • Jan 2009

Ok, one more question and then I think I am done.

The way I understand it there are two options:

1) I use the cd drive in my laptop to rip a few discs and get reports from Accurate Rip to say that I have got ripping errors in which case I go out and buy a replacement drive to get a better quality rip.

2) I use the cd drive in my laptop and get reports to say that I have got no errors. My rip is perfect and I can go on using my laptop drive.

Is my understanding correct?

Many thanks for all your help.

Comment

• Spoon
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

Correct, RE1- or buy another CD disc not drive.
              Spoon
              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• rodhudson
                • Aug 2009

Originally posted by dem

Secondly, does the secure rip software come with a user manual?
                Was there an answer to this part of the question ? If so, I missed it ! If not, what is the answer ??

And if it's 'No', then 'Why Not ' ???

Comment

• Spoon
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 2002

Spoon
                  www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>