title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

How do I get the CD Ripper to list data under the correct column headings?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ringmaster
    • Aug 2008

How do I get the CD Ripper to list data under the correct column headings?

I do restoration of old Vinyl albums, and I have a 750 gB external drive that I use for my Media Center; also, I keep all of my tracks in the .wav format. This allows me to re-import? a given "track" back into my restoration software, in the event I have to do further processing.

I am trying to build a Library, that will allow me to create "Playlists", Sort by "Title", "Artist" (plus other column headings); however, whenever I create a Library, all of the data appears under one column heading. Example: Under the column header "Name", "Abba - Take A Chance On Me.wav" is listed, and I do not know how to get the various colums to list the data under the correct column. I have set my "Naming", to include [artist][title][album artist][composer][conductor][genre][year][track][track_total][disc] and I have over 3000 tracks in my Library with the data separated by "space - space"; but, I have not been able to get the database to list the entries under the correct column header. I suspect I will have to go back and separate my columnar data in some other manner; but, that's a lot of "tracks" to correct; and, I don't know how to do it.

Also, I would like to get right-click and play, to preview the track to see if it contains my final restoration.

What am I doing wrong?
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: How do I get the CD Ripper to list data under the correct column headings?

What program are you using to manage your library? It probably cannot read WAV tags that would have been written by dMC, if that's what you used to tag.

Comment

• Ringmaster
      • Aug 2008

I used the Acoustica "MP3 CD Burner" to create my original Library, but I found I could not create my own "genre" using this Program. Then, I imported my "Library1" file to MDB2000 (Music Database 2000); this database is functional, however, it does not yet support "click & Play", and creating song lists. The MDB2000 is currently working on an up-grade to include these features; this should have been completed 4 weeks ago.

I have also created "Library2" & "Library3" files in my Media Center, using the Diamond Cut, Live/Forensics restoration software, and this database appears to be in the "Windows XP" format, but all of the tracks and associated data are appearing under the column entitled "Name". Columns for "Artist, Title, Genre & etc" exist in this database, but I can't figure out how to get the correct data under the applicable column.

In the meantime, I found and purchased your "dbpoweramp" that will work for me; however, I cannot figure out how to import my MDB2000 database into your "dbpoweramp" database.

I keep all of my Audio files in the .wav format.

Is this the information you are reqesting?

I suspect that I am not using the correct "character/s" between the various catagories (Artist, Title, Genre, Year and etc.) to allow me to import my current database into your "dbpoweramp" software.

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

dBpoweramp can only work with ID Tags which are within the Wave files, not if they are held externally in another programs database.
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Porcus
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Ringmaster
          I keep all of my Audio files in the .wav format.
          Bad idea. .wav does not support tagging, so those applications which do, have each their own solution and should not be expected compatible.

Consider a different lossless format. I use FLAC.

Comment

• LtData
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • May 2004

Well, WAV does support tags (LIST and ID3), but few applications read them, unfortunately.

Comment

• Cyberats
              • Oct 2008

My Dear Data

You would need a compressed format as mp4 (claims lossless), mp3 (anything above 160kbps rate - space used per second of played music, thus lost bits mean no skips - seems lossless to me and it goes to 320kbps), ogg (not tried yet) and many others. I don't see Wav as being too hi-fi either, you may want to get a different recording software for "what you hear" line inputs and record a better format.

Using the latest DBpoweramp version only to discover they whored the list and selling the service of ID tag when ripping, which WILL stop me from using it.
              I'll try other software like "gulp" MS-WMP or my Creative Labs, if it can retrieve tags. Otherwise I am tired of being cheesed by every co. out there. First they milk us for the software then they cheese us for the services, outrage !!! :vmad:

Comment

• Spoon
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

Re: My Dear Data

We charge $5 for premium metadata from AMG and GD3 - they are not free to use, and guess what yes Microsoft also supply some kind of AMG access without you having to pay for it...well not quite as nothing is for free...you have already paid Microsoft for it when you paid $80 for Microsoft Windows on your PC (they used that money to provide services in another market) - I am sure if I sold operating systems that had 95% of the market I would be able offer free AMG access.
                Spoon
                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Ringmaster
                  • Aug 2008

I really don't know anything about "tags" and their application; however,from the various "posts", it looks like I cannot use dbpoweramp, because of the limitation of tags for the .wav format.

I need & prefer the .wav format for my audio restoration software; other formats may change in the future; but, I expect the .wav format will remain stable. At least for my lifetime.

Comment

• Wayne
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Aug 2002

For information regarding Tags see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ID3

Comment

• LtData
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • May 2004

WAV will remain stable, but only recently did standards for WAV tagging come about.

Comment

• Ringmaster
                        • Aug 2008

Lt. Data,

I've done a lot of reading since my first post, and it looks like I used "Space-Space" for my original separator and I have to do a Batch Conversion, to convert to ";Space" for the items listed under the "Name" column. Right now, under my "Name" column I have Artist - Title; Example: iTunes: "Sweet - Fox on The Run"; Windows Explorer: "Sweet - Fox on The Run.wav". In both of these Data Lists, all other Data correctly appears under the specified column header. I can't figure out how to separate the Artist out of the Name column, and appear under the column entitled "Artist".

For some reason, I feel that I am "In Outer Space".

Comment

• LtData
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • May 2004

If you mean your files are named like "Sweet - Fox on the Run" you can use the "Tag from Filename" utility codec to have dMC tag your files.

Comment

• tumblerman
                            • Dec 2008

I've been having the same problem ripping wav files to play in iTunes. All of the data shows up in one field. Any suggestions?

Comment

• Wayne
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Aug 2002

I do not think that itunes handles tag data held in wav files.

Comment

Working...

]]>