title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Need a pin to plug firewire adapter - any ideas?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EliC
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Need a pin to plug firewire adapter - any ideas?

My case has a firewire port, but it has a female 6 pin plug. I have an internal standard firewire port. Does anyone know of an adapter for this?
  • bhoar
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Sep 2006

Re: Need a pin to plug firewire adapter - any ideas?

Originally posted by EliC
    My case has a firewire port, but it has a female 6 pin plug. I have an internal standard firewire port. Does anyone know of an adapter for this?
    Can you be a little more precise in your description of the situation?

I tried writing an answer, but then I realized I may have been completely misinterpreting your description of what you have and also what you need...

-brendan

Comment

• LtData
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • May 2004

I was about to do the same thing, bhoar.
      So, your case wants a female firewire 6-pin plug. By internal standard firewire port do you mean a pin-out on your motherboard?

Comment

• EliC
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • May 2004

The case has the a female connector for a firewire header (pins just sticking up like jumper pins). I have a standard firewire adapter internally (looks like a regular external firewire port - mostly a rectangle with a point at one end). I need an adapter to go between the 2 but don't know if there is one made or what term to search for it.

Comment

• bhoar
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by EliC
          The case has the a female connector for a firewire header (pins just sticking up like jumper pins). I have a standard firewire adapter internally (looks like a regular external firewire port - mostly a rectangle with a point at one end). I need an adapter to go between the 2 but don't know if there is one made or what term to search for it.
          Who makes the case? This is an front-of-case outward facing firewire port, right?

Typically, what you'd be looking for is a motherboard firewire header (often a 7 or 8 bin block) to internal firewire case header (this can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer).

The problem is that there isn't always a standard pin arrangement when it comes to these internal headers...

-brendan

Comment

• EliC
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • May 2004

Its a coolermaster case. Wouldn't the pin blocks have to be pretty standard so that they can match up with various motherboards?

Comment

• EliC
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • May 2004

here it is:

need to check that it would be compatible with my case. A bit pricey :(

Comment

• LtData
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • May 2004

The motherboard block is NORMALLY standard, though mobo manufacturers have been known to deviate. Check the pin-out in your manual to be sure.

Comment

• bhoar
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Sep 2006

Front-x connectors are always very expensive (that's their core business model). Try searching on header (or 10-pin or 9-pin or ten-pin or nine-pin) and firewire (or IEEE1394 or IEEE1394a OR 1394a), perhaps you can find cheaper sources.

Originally posted by LtData
                  The motherboard block is NORMALLY standard, though mobo manufacturers have been known to deviate. Check the pin-out in your manual to be sure.
                  Right. Also note that you'd be using the cable in a reverse fashion than it is typically used. Normally the header type connector goes to a motherboard and then the standard 6-conductor IEE1394a connector goes directly to a device or to a PCI-slot cutout bridging insert. You're connecting a standard firewire connector that happens to be on the inside of a PCI card to an unknown pinout front panel connector on your case.

Get as much information about the case pinout and cable pinout as possible and trace the signals before wiring anything up.

-brendan

Comment

Working...

]]>