title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

searched.. lame encoder is free for audacity, why not dbPowerAmp?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hunterdg
    • Jan 2008

searched.. lame encoder is free for audacity, why not dbPowerAmp?

through searching, i found various explanations as to why dbPowerAmp charges for the use of the FREE lame encoder, but i was unable to find a definitive reason that explained why it was free for some programs i.e. audacity, but not for dbPowerAmp.

Audacity does not include an mp3 encoder by default. the end user must find (easily done) and associate the encoder dll with Audacity after installation. There is not time limit to the use of the codec, and no fees.

Why can the same process not be used for dbPowerAmp? why can i not simply 'point' db to my downloaded lame encoder dll? why must i PAY for something that is FREE?

and why isn't this question in the FAQ?

any detailed explanations are appreciated!

thanks!
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: searched.. lame encoder is free for audacity, why not dbPowerAmp?

With MP3 there are patent licenses to be paid.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• LtData
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • May 2004

Re: searched.. lame encoder is free for audacity, why not dbPowerAmp?

It had to happen some time, it has happened now - the patent holders for mp3 have contacted me demanding huge sums of money. To counter this: dBpowerAMP Music Converter R11 will be pulled out from beta early (next 8 weeks), it will be combined with Aux Input and File Selector (these should not add much to the install size,

An explanation of why mp3 encoding must be paid for

Comment

Working...

]]>