title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

returning to an older version of dbpoweramp converter previou

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stibi
    • Feb 2004

returning to an older version of dbpoweramp converter previou

Quite often I use the dbpoweramp converter for converting mp3 and other audio files into compressed wav files. However, for that purpose I prefer to use version 11.5, over the newer versions (presently, the version installed in my PC is R12.2).

Hence I would like first to uninstall version R12.2 and get rid of all traces of that version as well as of any version newer than 11.5 and afterwards to install version 11.5

Could somebody guide me how to get rid of every trace of any version newer than 11.5 and where to find the installation file of version 11.5

Thanks in advance
    stibi
    Last edited by stibi; July 11, 2007, 08:03 PM.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: returning to an older version of dbpoweramp converter previou

See:

...also how to do a full reset of dBpoweramp? (if dBpoweramp crashes for some reason) Where does dBpoweramp save its files / settings? It is installed to c:\Program Files\Illustrate\dBpoweramp or c:\Program Files (x86)\Illustrate\dBpoweramp The 64 bit version of dBpoweramp is installed to: c:\Program Files\dBpoweramp It
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• LtData
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • May 2004

There is a r11.5 installer on this page: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/legacy-compatibility.htm

You can have both r12.2 and r11.5 installed at the same time if you follow the instructions on the link above.

Comment

• stibi
        • Feb 2004

Many thanks for your quick answer.
        Just to make sure, before I return to version 11.5 :-

1) For ripping I use Exact Audio Copy.Is there any reason to start using the ripping function of the newest version of dbpoweramp ?
        2) If I decide to stay with Exact Audio Copy, would you still advise to to keep the newest version of dbpoweramp (in addirtion to version 11.5 - although in deferrent folders) ?
        3) Is there a diferrence between the dbpoweramp codecs for the newest version and those I used to have with the 11.5 version ? and if there is - where can I get those I used with 11.5 ?
        Thanks in advance
        stibi

Comment

• LtData
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • May 2004

1) Spoon believes the dMC r12 ripper is better than EAC, but you will have to decide that for yourself.
          2) dMC r12 has updated codecs that normally are a newer version of the dMC r11.5 codecs, and the new codecs also include many bug fixes.
          3) Yes, dMC r12 and dMC r11.5 use different codecs. dMC r12 has its codecs in Codec Central, dMC r11.5 and older uses Legacy Codec Central for its codecs.

Also, if you install dMC r11.5 after you install dMC r12 and you want to use dMC r12's "Edit Tag" function or the right-click "Convert", see here: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=13077

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

This might help you decide, testing R12 against EAC:

Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• stibi
              • Feb 2004

Many thanks again.

After installing version 11.5 to a diferrent folder than the 12.2 , I have learned that this does not solve my problem.
              To make a long story short : I found in my archive some corresopondence with a friend about using dBpoweramp for converting audio files to compressed wav of reasonable quality.
              For example : I converted a "normal" wav filewav file of 31600 KB to compressed wav file of the following values : kb/sec 6 Bit/s 22050 stero 56. The size of that file became 1249 KB and it sounded very reasonable. Next I converted the same "normal" wav file to compressed wav file of the following values : 4Bit/s 22050 HZ stereo 40. The size of that file became 892 KB and it sounded reasonable.
              However, all this happened in April 2005. Nowadays - whether I use version 11.5 or 12.2 - when I open the "Wave Output Format" window I see non of the above mentioned values in the list of optionable values. Moreover, at that time no matter what values (of compressed wav files) I selected I could hear the resulting file (the differences were only in the size). Now, whenever I am converting to similar values ( for example : Kb/sec 7 HZ64kbps ABR stereo 22050) when I try to play the resulting file I hear only bits of sounds.
              It seems to me, therefore, that what I need is the version of dBpoweamp converter that existed in April 2005, unless there is another way to solve the above mentioned problems (do You think the Poweramp Reference would do it ?)
              Thanks in advance
              stibi

Comment

• Spoon
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

>that what I need is the version of dBpoweamp converter that existed in April 2005

That was R11.5

You are converting to compressed wav, the settings for that have nothing to do with dBpoweramp, rather seperately installed ACM codecs.

In R12 we made it so you could select wav-mp3 without needing the mp3 acm codec installed. Select wav-mp3 on the wave compression page.
                Spoon
                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• stibi
                  • Feb 2004

Hi,
                  Thanks for your answer.
                  Unfortunately, I am not enouhg professional, so I still need your help. The first and only program I used for converting to compressed wav was dBpoweramp, and that's why I always thougt that everything necessary for such conversion is included in dBpoweramp program. Now, since, as you say, "the settings for that have nothing to do with dBpoweramp rather separetally installed ACM codecs" it must mean, that at the time I had in dBpoweramp more options for settings I had some ACM codecs which, for reasons unknown to me, I don't have anymore.

My question is, therefore, whether you can recommend some ACM codecs the installation of which might enable dBpoweramp to broaden the settings presently available .

As to using the mp3-wav option of the last version of dBpoweramp : In my experience - the compressed wav option is prefarable.

Thanks in advance
                  stibi

Comment

• Spoon
                    Administrator
                    • Apr 2002

search google for "Lame ACM" and install the mp3 ACM codec.
                    Spoon
                    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• stibi
                      • Feb 2004

Thanks for your prompt answer.

I have downloaded a lameACM-3.97(3).zip
                      I unzipped it and installed the LameACM.inf file.

Next I tried to convert a wav file into compressed wav, however I do not see that there are now (in dbpoweramp) more setting options than before. Also, now too, some of the available settings create impaired wav files (I hear pieces of the music). For instance, when I selected :
                      Kb/s 4 kBit/s, 12000Hz, stereo 40

Do you think I choosed an improper Lame ACM file or that I didn't install it properly ?

Thanks again in advance
                      stibi

Comment

• Spoon
                        Administrator
                        • Apr 2002

After installing Lame ACM, reboot computer and from the wave compressions it would have a different name.
                        Spoon
                        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• stibi
                          • Feb 2004

Hi,
                          Sorry for bothering you; hower I do not understand how to follow your last guidlines.

The ACM file 3.97 I downloaded was in zip form. After unzipping it I got 3 files : lame_acm.xml , lameACM.acm and LameACM.inf

I right clicked on the LameACM.inf file, choosed (from the menu) the "install" option, and installed it. Next I restarted the PC.

Now, according to your last answer "from the wave compressions it would have a different name", however, I don't understand what do you mean by saying "from the wave compressions".

If I right-click on any audio file and choose (from the pop-up menu) "Convert To", I am getting the "dBpowerAMP Music Converter" window. In that window, if next to the words "Converting to", I select "Wave" and then "Compressed" and click on "Change Format", I am getting the "Wave Output Format" window. There, after selecting "MPEG Layer3", I have to choose - out of a list of settings - the one I prefer. However, that list is the same as that which was there before I installed the LameACM and restarted my PC. So, where am I supposed to find a wave compression option with a different name ?

Thanks again in advance
                          stibi

Comment

• Spoon
                            Administrator
                            • Apr 2002

>"MPEG Layer3",

I thought lame would install a new item...
                            Spoon
                            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>