title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

How would you handle 2,500 CDs?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mcouture
    • Oct 2006

How would you handle 2,500 CDs?

Ok, I have approximately 2,500 CDs and I don't want to carry them around from car to car to listen to.

I have an 30GB iPod the wife bought for me last year. I purchased a 300GB HD and ripped about 550 CDs to FLAC (for archiving and home listening) then I converted that to 256K MP3 to upload to the iPod, which is hardwired into my car.

My question is if I continue ripping to FLAC, I will need about 1TB of storage! Plus converting that to MP3 at about 300GB! What does everyone do?

-mike
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: How would you handle 2,500 CDs?

You are taking the right descion to rip to a lossless format, as in future you will not need to do it again.

2,500 CDs is quite an investment in audio, 500GB external usb storage is getting relatively cheap, two of them would take the lossless files.

When driving around with the ipod playing I would say 256kbps mp3 are overkill, you would not notice the difference with a lower (VBR) bitrate, perhaps even fit double the mp3 files on the ipod.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• mcouture
      • Oct 2006

I have done some tests (in my car) between 192K MP3 and 256K MP3 and I notice a huge difference in quality. I notice a major loss in bass and washed-out highs, but at 256 it sounds acceptable.

Of course, in my car, I have 4 Infiniti Reference speakers, plus a 12" sub. one 4x150watt and one 1x600watt amp running my system.

Maybe I did something wrong when I converted to 192K?

Comment

• Spoon
        Administrator
        • Apr 2002

Try using a lame preset such as alt preset standard, it is vbr and 192kbps (overall) will be close to 256kbps (cbr)
        Spoon
        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• mcouture
          • Oct 2006

I will do another blind test. However, when I did it before using 192 vs 256 I noticed a very large difference in sound quality (lows and highs) and even a big difference in volume.
          I hope I did something wrong the first time, so I can use 192VBR and gain back my disk space!
          I'll let you know what my findings are....

Comment

• ChristinaS
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Apr 2004

Check DSP effects left over from other conversions.

Comment

• mcouture
              • Oct 2006

I just finished another blind test of mp3 @ 192 and mp3 @ 256. Well, on computer speakers and headphones I cannot tell any difference at all.
              When I plug my iPod into my home stereo or my car, I can tell a big difference. Loudness, highs and lows are much more 'defined'.

My home and car stereos are more mid-ranged units. I can really tell the difference.

If I were to not compared the two, I "could" live with 192. But now that I have heard the difference, I want the quality. Of course that screws up my long term plan.
              I don't want to keep re-encoding 192, 256, then OGG or whatever. My first problem is that my current FLAC copies don't have lyrics or album art. I then convert from that to MP3 <whatever> then I have to add album art and lyrics. Then a new mp3 standard comes out and I have to re-encode..then I loose my album art and lyrics.
              My second problem is the size of my collection. I want to be able to take my total music collection wherever I go (ie:mainly home or car). At 560 albums, I can fit it on my 30GB iPod at MP3@192, but at 256 I cannot...and forget it when I add my other 2,000 albums! So an iPod is not going to work for my car(it will when I am running or passing the time while in the supermarket), so I guess building a car-computer with a big hard drive is in order?
              I just hate syncing playlists, making playlists etc. No matter what I think I want for a playlist, when I get out on the road, the music I want is never on the playlist---murphy's law. I guess I just want it all.

Any suggestions to my delimas? Other than stop being so demanding? :smile2:

So will dBpoweramp's new ALPHA rip to FLAC and pull in album art and lyrics so when I want to re-encode to <whatever> MP3 I will not have to pull those things in manually?

Comment

• Spoon
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

Yes except lyrics.
                Spoon
                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• dbPowerBOY
                  dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                  • Sep 2006

Im glad you asked the question mcouture and got the yes response from spoon

Comment

• DudeBoyz
                    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                    • Oct 2006

I'd go 192k MP3's via LAME, I guess.

If you don't mind using Fast Fraunhoffer (Music Match 4.5 and up) then you could probably go 160k and save some space.

If you were listening with headphones, that would be one thing, but in a car, 160k or 192k should be fine, I would imagine.

Comment

• ChristinaS
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Apr 2004

Mcouture, do you live in your car? :D

Should I ask how you manage to keep your attention on the road while fiddling with all this music?

I pop a cd in the drive and it may just finish by the time I get to where I'm going.

If I needed more variety I guess I'd install an mp3 player in my car - they are now affordable gadgets - but then I'd end up having to make conscious decisions of what to listen to .... and hit the car ahead or miss my exit

Just joking (partially) :komisch12

Comment

• neilthecellist
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Dec 2004

If you have the time, do Preset Alt Preset Extreme and max out your kbps, do joint stereo, and let the conversion do it by itself.

I'd also suggest using multiple computers for your 2500 CD's to be converted. A ghetto Celeron 700 mhz processor will do, but I wouldn't mind an AMD Athlon X-2 64 bit processor . Just try to have as many units running as much as possible.

And Christina, some of us DO live in our cars... Unemployment is bad in the United States, contrary to the recent newsstories that claim US unemployment rate at an all-time low... but I'm going off topic, so save for another day.

Comment

• ChristinaS
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Apr 2004

Neil, if you are unemployed and homeless and have to live in your car, I'd question your priorities and sanity if having the most stunning hifi system in said car were the ultimate goal in your life :D

Comment

• adaywayne
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Nov 2004

Originally posted by mcouture
                            I will do another blind test. However, when I did it before using 192 vs 256 I noticed a very large difference in sound quality (lows and highs) and even a big difference in volume.
                            I hope I did something wrong the first time, so I can use 192VBR and gain back my disk space!
                            I'll let you know what my findings are....
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            [COLOR=Navy]Errr.....just let me know when and where you are going to be driving so I can
                            avoid you!
                            Arnie :smile2: [/COLOR]

Comment

Working...

]]>