title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

My mp3's become MPEG movie files

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • brendo
    • Apr 2006

My mp3's become MPEG movie files

I'm not sure this is a problem with the software, codecs, or something else but here goes.
    Up until this week I have used the free version of dbmusic converter to convert wav to mp3. I then upload them on my site, and when I left clicked on them the download box would come up. Normal.

This week I deceided to register my version. I converted my wav to mp3. Tested it in itunes, and it had the file extension *.mp3.

I then uploaded it to my website. Did my usual test and left clicked on it, and the browser tried to open it using quicktime...No download box. I then right clicked on it, and went to "Save Target As.." The download box came up but the only file type option available was MPEG movie file.

If you could help me solve this problem I would be very grateful. It's driving me crazy. :cry:
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: My mp3's become MPEG movie files

If you save it as an "MPEG movie file" does it still play normal in your music player? Does it show an extension in the file type box, such as .mpg, .mpeg, or something else?

Comment

• ChristinaS
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by brendo
      I'm not sure this is a problem with the software, codecs, or something else but here goes.
      Up until this week I have used the free version of dbmusic converter to convert wav to mp3. I then upload them on my site, and when I left clicked on them the download box would come up. Normal.

This week I deceided to register my version. I converted my wav to mp3. Tested it in itunes, and it had the file extension *.mp3.

I then uploaded it to my website. Did my usual test and left clicked on it, and the browser tried to open it using quicktime...No download box. I then right clicked on it, and went to "Save Target As.." The download box came up but the only file type option available was MPEG movie file.

If you could help me solve this problem I would be very grateful. It's driving me crazy. :cry:
      Why don't you give us a link to your website and where you have the link to your audio file and let's see.

I have a few hunches as to what may be happening.

Which browser are you using, incidentally?

Comment

• neilthecellist
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Dec 2004

Have you tried downloading mp3 files off of other websites just to confirm if it's not just your website / potential software issues that are causing the problem?

Comment

• brendo
          • Apr 2006

Ok, last night I went to my site using our other computer. It worked fine. I left clicked on the file and the download box came up.

Since then I have installed winamp on my laptop, re-installed DBpoweramp. Followed the instructions with moving the mp3pro.dll file, and installed an updated version of itunes. All this has resulted in nothing happening.

Now to answer the questions.

ChristinaS: I'm using Internet Explorer 6 (all updated)
          Here is a link to a test page I have set up.

I have included a short wav, the mp3 I made, and a short video capture of the mp3 changing to mpeg. Please have a look and let me know your thoughts.

LtData: After installing Winamp, when I right click on it the initial download box comes up and the file has .mp3 as the extension. It then changes before my eyes to .mpeg. Now it tells me I am downloading a Winamp Media file. I downloaded it and it wouldn't play in winamp. The extension was .mpeg. ??

Neilthecellist: Yes, I tried another site, and it worked fine.

Your help is much appreciated.
          Brendo
          Last edited by brendo; April 16, 2006, 02:19 AM. Reason: Posting a link

Comment

• LtData
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • May 2004

Welll I'll be, it does change for no reason that I can think of. The "Winamp Media File" just means that the filetype is registered as a "Winamp Media File" and therefore will open with Winamp when it is opened.

Now, if you save the file as a .mpeg and then change the extension to .mp3 does it play then?

Edit: Since this is apparently unrelated to dMC, I am moving this thread to the Off-Topic section of this forum, called "Spoons Forum".
            Last edited by LtData; April 16, 2006, 03:11 AM.

Comment

• ChristinaS
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by brendo
              Ok, last night I went to my site using our other computer. It worked fine. I left clicked on the file and the download box came up.

Since then I have installed winamp on my laptop, re-installed DBpoweramp. Followed the instructions with moving the mp3pro.dll file, and installed an updated version of itunes. All this has resulted in nothing happening.

Now to answer the questions.

ChristinaS: I'm using Internet Explorer 6 (all updated)
              Here is a link to a test page I have set up.

I have included a short wav, the mp3 I made, and a short video capture of the mp3 changing to mpeg. Please have a look and let me know your thoughts.

LtData: After installing Winamp, when I right click on it the initial download box comes up and the file has .mp3 as the extension. It then changes before my eyes to .mpeg. Now it tells me I am downloading a Winamp Media file. I downloaded it and it wouldn't play in winamp. The extension was .mpeg. ??

Neilthecellist: Yes, I tried another site, and it worked fine.

Your help is much appreciated.
              Brendo
              I originally thought from your earleir post that your server did not serve media files correctly, but this is not the case.

When I left-click your links, I open the wav, the mp3 and the avi in WIndows Media Player since this is my default player.
              If I right click and save each one of them they get saved with their proper extensions and get identified properly as what they each are. All are playable in WMP by default.

I believe your file associations are pointing to Quicktime for certain media types. Quicktime is not just for videos, it can play almost all media types.

If you open WMP and go through Tools > Options > File Types and set all those which you want to have WMp play this will override Quicktime's claims.

To make sure, you can also open Quicktime and click File > Preferences > File assiciaitons > and then enable or disable whatever you want.

These players are all very greedy. They each want to be the default player and steal each other's extensions. You have to tame them and control them, that's all.

I do the same with Real Player. I only let it play real media files. I only let Quicktime play qtm and mov files. WMP plays all it can. Those are set that way in order to play files off the web as default applications.

dAP gets to play all the audio file types it can play as well, but not by default, and it only plays my locally stored files.

I have no idea why you cannot change the extension of the downloaded file before saving it. I can understand that Quicktime's getting it's fingers into the mix, maybe that's why. But IE should let you modify the extension before saving it, regardless of what it's proposing (more like guessing at).
              Last edited by ChristinaS; April 16, 2006, 03:20 AM.

Comment

• neilthecellist
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Dec 2004

I would also suggest that you uninstall Quicktime and install Quicktime Alternative instead.

Comment

Working...

]]>