title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

what conversion do i use?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • xrsquare
    • Jan 2006

what conversion do i use?

All the lawyers are going digital with their recordings. We the transcribers are having to transcribe all their different ways, mp3,wma whatever they choose. My question is, what is the best converter to use. I would like to have it in mp3 format :cry:
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: what conversion do i use?

Moved to General.

Of course, I at least will recommend using dBpowerAMP Music Converter (dMC). It only costs $14 and you have a 30-day fully functional trial to make sure the program meets your needs. dMC also encodes to WMA and almost any other format they could want.

Comment

• xoas
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Apr 2002

It all depends on the digital ecording devices being used. A Sony digital voice recorder is probably going to use a different recording format than an RCA digital voice recorder and a Panasonic digital voice recorder will probably use yet a third format. It may often be the case that these formats are these formats are going to be proprietary.

The issue is that these will almost certainly not record to a standard audio recording format (like wave, wma, mp3). Am I right?

If you can set up a line input from any of these devices to your computer so that you can play the material to be transcribed on your computer speakers, then you can record the material as it is played on your sound card. You can do this with dBpowerAMP Music Converter using the Auxilary Input feature. There are many other programs with the same ability. Of course this means you have to play and record the material in real time (the amount of time it takes to listen to the file).

dBpowerAMP Music Converter can also convert audio from standard digital formats like wave, ogg vorbis, wma to mp3 (and vice versa) and that will be very much quicker. Again, there are other programs that have this capability, though I am partial to dBpowerAMP Music Converter.

If you can tell us what the formats these lawyers are using that you want to convert to mp3?

Assuming the lawyers you transcribe for are not recording to standard audio formats, you might want to persuade them to do so (or at least to all use the same type of digital recording device, this would increase your odds of finding a program to convert to standard audio).

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,
      Bill

Comment

• donny
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Oct 2002

dap will quicky transform the files to mp3 if you pay for the powerpack, but if you like some other codecs (free ones) like ogg it can do it in the free version also... you just have to install a few codecs for all of the input files (wma, ogg, acc and similar), and then just right click and "convert to".
        still the paid version gives a few extra features, look in the help files

Comment

Working...

]]>