title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

What is the Proper way to batch rip CDs using 7 or 8 optical drives?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • currter
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast

• Jul 2016

What is the Proper way to batch rip CDs using 7 or 8 optical drives?

I am not sure if this has been addressed long ago.
    Again, is it possible to "batch" rip CDs (Compact Discs) from several connected
    optical drives like maybe 7 of them connected to a computer?
    I had done this long ago (2016, 2017 or so) but I may not have
    done it the proper way by running several instances /threads of dbpoweramp
    or the CD ripping software and running each one once each of the CDs were loaded
    into the 7 optical/DVD/Blu-Ray drive connected. Also all of the "parallel" runs of the
    rippers were run and the audio files were stored or ripped to a rotational/mechanical hard drive
    and not an SSD type of drive at the time. I used a Western Digital Passport type of HD at the time
    to store the ripped audio flac files.
    Though it worked for the most part that way, later on I discovered there could
    have been some cross-contamination of a few of the audio files --like a part of
    one song being included or inserted into another song...maybe discovered this 3
    instances and not sure why that happened.

I may want to rip another client's CDs and want to do things the right and proper
    or official way this time around.

So is there a way to rip multiple CDs in "parallel" or without just using 1 optical drive and
    use 5 to 7 optical drives to load 5 to 7 CDs to be ripped and without running multiple instances
    of the ripping software like I did last time to give the appearance of running these processes
    in parallel?

Thank you again.
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

I would not put more than 4 drives on a single sytem.
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• CaryB

• Feb 2009

I built a rig just like that for ripping my collection of over 3000 CDs. It had 10 cd rom drives in a huge tower. I also had a 16 core AMD with 64gb of ram. I never ran into any problems with the CDs writing info into the wrong racks. I did find that changing any settings of any open instance of ripper affected the other open instances of ripper. I first tried batch ripper, but wanted more control over the metadata that batch ripper provides.
      In my observation, the best way to work with this rig was to load up all 10 CDs, edit all the metadata to my liking, such as cover art, artist names, etc. (I was extremely anal about the metadata.). Then started all the cd drives ripping. Since there were about 6 different brand name drives, they all seemed to rip at different speeds. I also noticed that 3 of them were much better ripping non pristine CDs. As the rips progressed, and a cd finished, I had it set to eject on perfect rip. I would then load a new cd into the finished drive, edit the metadata, and start it ripping. Any CDs that had errors, I would re-rip in one the drives that handled the scratched CDs better. I also made sure to clean that cd with a good anti static cloth. In the end I had less than 100 CDs that had 1 or more bad tracks. Not bad out of 3000 plus CDs. I also had about 100 CDs that weren’t in the accurate rip database. Those CDs took longer to rip as I had the system set to rip any such cd 3 times to verify.
      All in all I was able to rip 150 to 200 CDs per day before going stir crazy sitting in front of the computer.

A bit of advice. Make sure you are 100% comfortable with you naming scheme before you start. And make sure you figure out how you want to deal with multi disc sets. And compilation CDs. You don’t want to go back and re-rip a bunch of CDs because you didn’t think it through carefully.

Comment

• currter
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast

• Jul 2016

Originally posted by Spoon
        I would not put more than 4 drives on a single sytem.
        Thank you for that advice and it would be more manageable to use 4 optical drives.

Comment

• currter
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast

• Jul 2016

Originally posted by CaryB
          I built a rig just like that for ripping my collection of over 3000 CDs. It had 10 cd rom drives in a huge tower. I also had a 16 core AMD with 64gb of ram. I never ran into any problems with the CDs writing info into the wrong racks. I did find that changing any settings of any open instance of ripper affected the other open instances of ripper. I first tried batch ripper, but wanted more control over the metadata that batch ripper provides.
          In my observation, the best way to work with this rig was to load up all 10 CDs, edit all the metadata to my liking, such as cover art, artist names, etc. (I was extremely anal about the metadata.). Then started all the cd drives ripping. Since there were about 6 different brand name drives, they all seemed to rip at different speeds. I also noticed that 3 of them were much better ripping non pristine CDs. As the rips progressed, and a cd finished, I had it set to eject on perfect rip. I would then load a new cd into the finished drive, edit the metadata, and start it ripping. Any CDs that had errors, I would re-rip in one the drives that handled the scratched CDs better. I also made sure to clean that cd with a good anti static cloth. In the end I had less than 100 CDs that had 1 or more bad tracks. Not bad out of 3000 plus CDs. I also had about 100 CDs that weren’t in the accurate rip database. Those CDs took longer to rip as I had the system set to rip any such cd 3 times to verify.
          All in all I was able to rip 150 to 200 CDs per day before going stir crazy sitting in front of the computer.

A bit of advice. Make sure you are 100% comfortable with you naming scheme before you start. And make sure you figure out how you want to deal with multi disc sets. And compilation CDs. You don’t want to go back and re-rip a bunch of CDs because you didn’t think it through carefully.

Comment

• currter
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast

• Jul 2016

Thank you for your advice. I ripped about 1300 CDs in my personal library long ago (2016) in parallel using 8 optical drives at the time
            and by running an instance of the CD ripper software in various desktops set up on Windows 10 computer.
            I believe the CD ripper has to perform some synchronization with the optical drive before it starts the process and I believe
            EAC does something like that as well.

Anyway I believe I lucked out that I was able to rip all of those CDs one by one, loading each into the optical drives
            after each was completed (I set that the CD would eject once completed). I let the software perform the metadata stuff
            though some did require some attention, but for the most part, everything worked out automatically.

It was just that maybe a year later I did notice after playing a few songs that I would consider album filler or tracks
            I may not have played that there seemed to be some cross contamination of only 3 of the songs (not many)
            and wondered if it was due to running all of those rips in parallel and maybe I did not take the proper approach
            by doing a batch rip the proper way. For those songs with "cross contamination", I corrected those few by
            either re-ripping the CD for that one song or I had ripped the CDs before I discovered dbpoweramp software
            using iTunes and ripped the CDs beforehand into .WAV files and I just used the .WAV file to convert that to
            .flac and then added the metadata to that manually (that Folder.jpg file) of the album art that was present after
            ripping the CD to flac

In the end I believe things are okay with how I did it but if I should rip a lot of CDs again for a friend, I just
            wanted advice how to do it the proper way. I did rip several 100 CDs for a relative as well in 2018 or so and pretty much
            using the same method before but I used only 5 optical drives that time.

Thank you again... if I do this again, I will just use 4 "portable" USB optical drives.
            Last edited by currter; September 03, 2024, 01:14 AM.

Comment

• linkman
              dBpoweramp Enthusiast

• Dec 2015

Originally posted by CaryB
              Yeah, you described a painful method. A purpose-built CD changer like a Nimbie is a much easier way to do it. Loading 100 in a stack and "let 'er batch rip" is a much easier way to go. Even if 100 discs were to take 10 hours it doesn't matter unless you need the job done quickly. You only have to interface with it once per 100 discs and the human part of the unload/load is very quick. Clean up the metadata and deal with rejects/inaccurate rips after the fact.

Comment

Working...

]]>