title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Discussion of Automated CD Loaders

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bhoar
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Sep 2006

Re: Discussion of Automated CD Loaders

Originally posted by sonyman
    Works the Kodak Kiosk KDK-1000-04 with any CD/DVD Drive?
    Or is it a special Drive, compare the Aleratec Robo Racer ?

Is a Recording/ Burning Software available ?

Bastian
    Bastian:

The Aleratec RoboRacer only works with their supplied drives, due to a completely custom tray, with built in levering capabilities.

As the The Kodak Kiosk KDK-1000-04 is based on the MicroOrbit platform, it can work with some DVD+-RW drives provided you are willing to make substantial modifications. Also, the the drive tray geometries must be within certain parameters for this to work.

For example, I have personally modified two Samsung SH-S202B/BEBN DVD+-RW drives to work with the KDK-1000-04 units. I got lucky with my first pick in that the drive tray geometry was within the parameters required.
    However, it was not easy and required the following changes:

- Removal of tray end (slips off).
    - Removal of faceplate (slips off).
    - Cutting of tray sides for lifter access using dremel or other tools. Requires precision measurement, cutting and deburring of plastic (while avoiding melt issues). Over-cutting or improper shaping will impede tray insert and eject abilities, making the drive useless.
    - Cutting of top of aluminum case in a concave shape (think partial moon sliver) to ensure no part of the full disc circle is not occluded by drive case. A notching tool was used with some light dremeling to dull sharp edges. Avoid too much dremeling as it causes significant sparking and generation of metal dust which can be fatal to electronics.

It took me 60-120 minutes per drive, including installation and removal (twice) into each of the kodak units for alignment and rework. I had intended to used the Teac drive as a template, but the width of the trays differed enough that I ended up having to do a lot more work on getting the first drive just right. After the first drive, the second drive took less time (a bit more than half the time) since I could do more rough pre-cutting using the first as a template, but I'm not sure I could make it go much faster than that.

I've used the modified unit with a custom script and ImgBurn to burn multiple CD and DVD images (note: my custom scripts only work with drives that are fully MMC compliant because they rely on detecting tray open conditions). There is no commercial software out there that supports these for burning, however.

-brendan
    Last edited by bhoar; April 29, 2009, 07:14 PM.

Comment

• sonyman
      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
      • May 2008

Dear Brandan,
      thanks for the detailed description.
      This is a nice Sunday afternoon project ! (rainy day)

Works the Robotic precisely, exactly or hangs a Disc from time to time?
      Reliable than a Amtren robotic ?

Thanks

Bastian

Comment

• bhoar
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by sonyman
        Dear Brandan,
        thanks for the detailed description.
        This is a nice Sunday afternoon project ! (rainy day)

Works the Robotic precisely, exactly or hangs a Disc from time to time?
        Reliable than a Amtren robotic ?
        Other than a damaged unit or previously damaged discs, the only loading problem I've run into is that sometimes the spindle lock screw comes loose, which allows for two problems to surface: 1) the gap between the spindle lock surface and the spindle notch surface widens, allow for double feeding and/or other jams or 2) the loose spindle lock might turn to a non- or less-secure position before the stack of 50 is done.

The fix for both issues (really the same issue) is to loctite (blue) the screw into place. This fixes the spindle. Note that the spindles come pre-loctited, so if the screw is loose, it was either disassembled (which introduces the problem) or the loctite flaked away due to age or overuse.

It's hard to say if it is more or less reliable than the amtren - I haven't had any problems with the two non-damaged amtren units I've tested.

-brendan

Comment

• sonyman
          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
          • May 2008

Brandan,
          thanks for your Information!

Bastian

Comment

• sonyman
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • May 2008

Dear Brendan,
            i have purchased :

1x - Kodak Kiosk KDK-1000-03
            1x - Kodak Kiosk KDK-1000-04

for trying with the Batchripper.
            Whitch settings are required?

Thanks
            Bastian

Comment

• Greg_R
              • Oct 2007

Has anyone used a loader with a DVD drive and performed batch DVD rips (using other SW)?

Comment

• bhoar
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Greg_R
                Has anyone used a loader with a DVD drive and performed batch DVD rips (using other SW)?
                I've done so using some home-grown scripts for my single-drive amtren/discmakers 60/75-disc units and two 50-disc kodak units I swapped DVD drives into. Basically a variant of my tray watcher scripts with some custom autoit code to auto-copy using a third party tool.

I've found, however, that the third party tool likes to crash and exit when it encounters damaged or hard to read discs (esp. if running more than on extract at a time), so that ended up being a bit of a waste of time to do with robots.

At least until they fix the third party tool to be more robust.

In general, though, it's considered off-topic to talk about dvds in this forum.

-brendan

Comment

• Stoene
                  • May 2009

Hello,
                  Have any of you ran across or used the Rimage DTP 4500 (RAS 13)? I have one but can't seem to get it to talk using hyperterm. It has a firewire port and serial cable on back. It has four drives which are converted from edi to firewire. It has a controller board of which the serial is connected to. I did observe two sets of 232 chips on controller board. The serial is served by one. The other is possibly used for the PS2 the printer was hooked to. I found the wiki page created by bhoar. I tried various 8n1, 8E1, 19200, null modem etc. with no luck. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Joe

ps. Speaking of finding good deals on Ebay for these things, I found this one at a State auction/sales facility. I found it in the 'we don't know what this is section.' It didn't sale at the the discount price of $100. My next visit it was $40 and was mine! I got it minus the printer and software and without knowing whether it did anything on the premise that I will enjoy the tinkering.

Comment

• bhoar
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Sep 2006

Stoene -

I haven't worked with the DTP 1500 or DTP 4500 (aka ras 13) at all
                    yet. My wiki page has some info for the earlier serial-controlled DTP
                    1000/4000 units here:

Perhaps that might be close to what's needed for the 4500 and a
                    potential starting point? I found the pickers on the 1000/4000
                    generation of units to be very unreliable for mixed lots of commercial
                    CDs (the pickers work much better for blanks where everything is the
                    same thickness). Hopefully the picker on the 4500 was upgraded.

Later RImage units (RAS xx) types used a very complex (and perhaps
                    convoluted) command set that I haven't even begun to document,
                    probably won't get a chance to do so until next year.

The tools of the trade for trying to document the command sets under
                    windows is Portmon for logging serial data and hyperterminal (or
                    putty) for manually testing commands.

-brendan

Comment

• Stoene
                      • May 2009

Brendan,
                      Thanks for the replies. Work has kept me away from the fun stuff. Once I establish communication with the Rimage board, I'll try all of the commands from the wiki. I'm expecting to see the normal verbose greeting with the controller at start of com i.e. model number and such. I did a quick search of www to try and identify the com chip (232ABC P0105ABUH) on the controller board. In doing so, to try to work the com problem from the other side. I still need to trace the pins to confirm that a standard serial cable was used. It would have been nice to have gotten the software and cable with the Rimage unit, but the redistribution center is a meat grinder auction / sales place. They don't have a clue nor want to on what they are selling. If a computer is shipped with a unit. I will be sold separately. So I can't snoop on a working command set. In any case, I'll keep you posted on any progress. Thanks

On another note, about a year ago I bought a medical CNC machine from the same folks cheap cheap (Beckman BioMek 1000-it moved test tubes around during experiments). I got it for $75. When the thing was new (10 plus years ago) it cost $10k's. It has a custom brain board and a controller board. I've LowBot'ed it. I have made a few trace cuts and have soldered into the control board with my pc control wires. I'm going to use the parallel output of an old computer and Kcam (Kelliware) as the CNC controller software. It will only have a small working area, about 1.5 ft cubed. I'll be able to do what is called 2 1/2 D work on it. Other than who knows what kind of germs it handled it's awesome (I did clean and Lysol the heck out of it).

Comment

• PlanetMongo
                        • Oct 2007

Some advice, please:

I'm still searching for a way to reduce my workflow. The Plasmon D120s have finally given up the ghost. :(

Basically, what I do: I receive CDs (and sometimes "enhanced" CDs (CD+G?)) from content providers and I have to rip them for encoding. For small batches (< 10 discs), I just do it by hand (i.e. the external CD-ROM drive), no big deal. But sometimes we have huge batches (60, 100, even 1500 once) and that's where I used my D-120s (2 towers, one with 80, one with 120 slots).

So, I'd open the D-120s and load the cartridges, then open the PointSoft admin software, have it scan the carts, then I'd have to rename each disc to our naming convention (this is a commercial setup, btw. You'd recognize our name). So, it would generate a name like a532icex and I'd rename it to something like CODE_UPC_DISCNUMBER. Then I'd use a batch copy function to copy to the hard drive (an overnight process). The next morning, I'd have a bunch of folders containing files named TITLE01.wav, TITLE02.wav. No big deal, I then used a small utility to just replace TITLE with <folder> so the files would end up being named CODE_UPC_DISCNUMBER_01, etc, which is exactly what I need before I can start encoding the audio into various formats and submitting to our ingestion servers.

After completion of this, I can then delete those files (.wavs and encoded files (wma and mp3) and go on to the next batch.

As you can imagine, I'd love to be able to just either add the UPC and DISCNUMBER to the metadata and then just encode straight off the bat with the correct names (and skip ripping to .wav altogether). Album names, artist names, etc, are all irrelevant for my needs.

Okay, so now the D120s are broken and the costs for repair are astronomical, not to mention Plasmon is out of business so it's time to look towards the future.

What jukebox-style readers are available on the market that would be able to survive heavy* industrial use? Our Plasmon supporter is pushing us on blu-ray, which is rather odd because.. well, we work with CDs (and occasionally data DVDRs) and is obvious they have no idea how/why/what we use our machines for (basically glorified CD towers for ripping).

I currently use dbpowerproamp for all of our encoding processes, and it works great. I'd like to move the entire process to dbpowerproamp, just because it saves on workflow. If you were counting above, I've got at least 4 different programs I have to use to get to the end result, any reduction in that work would be awesome.

Is this possible with dbpowerproamp batch ripper? Will I have to tinker with scripts to get my desired naming format, etc (not really a problem, per se, but the less I muck around with scripts, the happier I am)? Are there any recommended rippers that I could use to replace these POS Plasmons? Heck, if they're cheap and readily serviced, the easier/better it will be. Currently a drive costs something like $3500 to be replaced in a Plasmon... From a cursory search through the thread, it appears the Sony XL1B might be a contender, how's it hold up?

Any advice, comments are appreciated.

Thanks!

*Heavy = daily usage.. Not really, depends on the project, but they typically see usage one day a month. They were going for about 8 months straight, though, which may have worn them out. Environment is climate controlled office, not out in a warehouse..
                        Last edited by PlanetMongo; June 30, 2009, 08:34 PM.

Comment

• PlanetMongo
                          • Oct 2007

Also, what is the consensus on Powerfile products? I see C200s on ebay, arent' these very similar to the Sonys? Our vendor is also tryign to sell us on Powerfile A3 SMB, would batch ripper work with it? Getting a new unit with support/warranty would be great, especially if we can ditch the $$$ proprietary software.

Comment

• EliC
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • May 2004

I would recommend you look for a Primera Composer Max. This thing is a workhorse!

Im not sure I could follow your workflow. Seemed very complicated and I think you could easily do it in dBpoweramp with much less work.

Comment

• bhoar
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Sep 2006

Full disclosure: I'm still selling new in box Kodak 50 CD robots and software bundle for $300 each + S/H at this time - and I have plenty of them at this time. I'll attempt to keep my advice hardware neutral, however.*

Rather than try to look at what you do now in detail, I'll take a simplistic approach with the question: can the Batch Ripper, with one or more non-automated optical drive(s) (built-in or external - we're ignoring the disc manual loading labor for now), give you the end results you want without per-disc manual intervention at the keyboard?

You can test this now using the dbpoweramp reference trial (or licensed, of course) and some optical drives (and you can even work on getting a simplified workflow created). However, because I'm specializing in robot-related things, I don't have the wherewithal nor expertise to answer the questions for you on the metadata and filename issues with regards to your requirements and the batch ripper. That I'll leave to you to figure out, perhaps with help from others when you get to specific stumbling points.

Ok, all the above digested?

If the batch ripper can do this for you, then your use of changers to automate the hand-loading part could be replaced with any devices that fit the batch ripper device model, either other changers or robots, correct?

If so, there are several potential replacement hardware types in the robot arena that should be considered (new and used) for use with dbpoweramp: from the low-end (25 discs per load with one drive); through the medium capacities (50-100 discs per load with one or two drives); through large capacity (250 - 1000 discs per load with two to eight drives).

I'd recommend two to four medium sized robots (for a total of four drives) for the kind of work you do. One benefit of going with small to medium sized robots vs. the large ones is that you can afford redundancy: a single failed robot does not force you to go back to an entirely manual process. Of course, if you have the revenue to support it, yearly warranty contract fees to the large robot makers can keep the largest robots attractive (double check the potential amount of down time for warrantied robots, however).

I'll second Eli's mention of the reliability of the composer max, they're built pretty tough...but they're very hard to come by these days. User experience with the Sony XL1B changers has been mixed - from what I have read, it seems it's easy for them to get out of alignment.

-brendan

* ...but one reason I decided to resell the Kodak units was how happy I was with the rip quality (under XP, they don't work well under Vista due to changes at the USB mass storage layer) as well as the heavy-duty build construction (vs., say, the 25-disc baxter-type units). I can send further info if you PM me your email address (all correspondence in the strictest confidence, of course). The units have a 90-day replacement warranty only, but they're quite inexpensive!

Comment

• Spoon
                                Administrator
                                • Apr 2002

Officially (will be more public soon) we recommend:

Primera is one of the world's leading manufacturers of specialty printing equipment including Disc Publishers, Color Label Printers & Applicators, signature slide printers.

I have been impressed by the build quality of their systems, internally we use them for 1000's of DVD duplication, all without a hitch day and night.

In batch ripper you can get a disc sequential number, also there is a DSP effect called Run External - these two could potentially (with some clever scripting) allow a list of UPC numbers to be applied to filenames.

For Batch Ripping I also recommend ripping to a lossless format (such as Wave, or FLAC), then overnighting the conversion to mp3/wma - possibly you could do it in one step (you would have to use the multi-encoder, but this complicates your filenaming by x25
                                Spoon
                                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>