title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Discussion of Automated CD Loaders

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bhoar
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Sep 2006

Re: Discussion of Automated CD Loaders

Originally posted by sonyman
    ist the old Mediaform CD 3702 robotic supportet? (serial connected). The best on this unit is the vacuum Picker!
    Bastian -

I could slightly change the amtren driver to support these. However all of the ones I am familiar with are not peripherals but instead embedded system types: they have a computer running DOS built into them. And the drives are probably SCSI. It's a big project to get them working the way you'd want (externalize all the interfaces, replace drives, etc.). So I don't recommend it.

-brendan

Comment

• bhoar
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by fphredd
      OK Brendan, more issues with the MF Digital (not driver related), so the search may continue...

Didn't find any mention of these anywhere, will they work??

http://www.vinpowerdigital.com/Produ...erCategory.asp
      The cube is an obvious no because it's neither a PC peripheral nor does it run windows inside it. The rest would probably work with a modification of one of my current drivers.

But let's step back and figure out: what are you looking to be able to do? Perhaps I can give some better suggestions than currently unsupported devices.

-brendan

Comment

• fphredd
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Feb 2009

It's a pickup issue on the drive I shifted slightly to try to solve the drop off issue from the right stack. Didn't work, not using the right stack so I'll obviously try to shift the drive back and see, worked fine that way for a while...

...in the frustration, went surfing and found those other units. I figured the cube wouldn't work, but good to hear you think the others would. Will keep you posted.

thx

Comment

• bhoar
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by fphredd
          It's a pickup issue on the drive I shifted slightly to try to solve the drop off issue from the right stack. Didn't work, not using the right stack so I'll obviously try to shift the drive back and see, worked fine that way for a while...

...in the frustration, went surfing and found those other units. I figured the cube wouldn't work, but good to hear you think the others would. Will keep you posted.

thx
          For robotic arm type duplicators, drive-tray pickup problems can be caused by:

1. Off-center tray. Fix is to adjust the drive position along the drive rails.
          2. Disc-retaining nubs not being shaved off. Fix is to dremel down the four disc-retaining nubs so that the disc doesn't catch on them.
          3. Drive tray that doesn't always extend to the same position. Fix is to replace the drive with one that reliably moves the tray the same distance out on every reject.
          4. Drive tray disc circle just barely clears the faceplate, but occasionally picks brush against the faceplate and that causes problems. Fix is to remove the faceplate (you must also at least temporarily remove the tray-end trim in order to remove the faceplate without cutting it).

-brendan

Comment

• sonyman
            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
            • May 2008

Originally posted by bhoar
            For robotic arm type duplicators, drive-tray pickup problems can be caused by:

1. Off-center tray. Fix is to adjust the drive position along the drive rails.
            2. Disc-retaining nubs not being shaved off. Fix is to dremel down the four disc-retaining nubs so that the disc doesn't catch on them.
            3. Drive tray that doesn't always extend to the same position. Fix is to replace the drive with one that reliably moves the tray the same distance out on every reject.
            4. Drive tray disc circle just barely clears the faceplate, but occasionally picks brush against the faceplate and that causes problems. Fix is to remove the faceplate (you must also at least temporarily remove the tray-end trim in order to remove the faceplate without cutting it).

-brendan

Dear Brendan,
            i know i can only use the Robotic and the enclosure.
            Are the control commands different to the (9000 Series) ?

Works the Unit with the Scribe Software from MF?

Thanks
            Bastian

Comment

• bhoar
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Sep 2006

i know i can only use the Robotic and the enclosure.
              Are the control commands different to the (9000 Series) ?

Works the Unit with the Scribe Software from MF?
              The Mediatechnics 360x commands should be similar to the later Mediatechnics Scribe units (which the smaller amtren/discmaker robots and larger MFD and MT robots are patterned after). You'll need to probe them to be sure, there might be a one or two command difference.

Regarding compatibility with MFD's software, I'd say definitely no: all the companies' software first asks the robot to report which model it is and won't talk to models that don't match exactly what they are looking for. this is also because they only want their software to work with pre-tested drive models that they know are reliable for duplication purposes. They don't want support calls about unsupported configurations not working 100% correctly.

-brendan

Comment

• Juliane Weseman
                • Apr 2009

Recommendation

I would like to ripp about 2000 CDs. Could you please give me advise which hardware I should buy. Many Thanks. Jule

Comment

• CHIMAR
                  • Apr 2009

Hello,

I am new...

Are there any automated CD rippers that can be rented in Europe and that can "plug and play" with dbpoweramp?

If not what loader is recommended to rip around 200 to 500 a day?

Is there support between any hardware vendor and dbpoweramp?

(probably not a loader issue), but which languages are supported? - is this part of the meta data DB? I.e. If French titles are on a CD, will they be added with the correct characters around the "e" for example?

Many thanks CHIMAR

Comment

• Spoon
                    Administrator
                    • Apr 2002

It depends on how much you are willing to spend (non-rental).

Metadata tends to be a mixed bag, with the entried being very USA centric.
                    Spoon
                    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• bhoar
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by CHIMAR
                      Are there any automated CD rippers that can be rented in Europe and that can "plug and play" with dbpoweramp?

If not what loader is recommended to rip around 200 to 500 a day?

Is there support between any hardware vendor and dbpoweramp?

(probably not a loader issue), but which languages are supported? - is this part of the meta data DB? I.e. If French titles are on a CD, will they be added with the correct characters around the "e" for example?

Many thanks CHIMAR
                      If you see anyone renting 25-disc robots, these will work with spoon's free driver. Datatronics makes them, called minicubis, but most often you see them listed as Baxter, DupliQ, Ripstation 7601 (not 7601xc), etc. I've seen that some of Illustrate's competitors rent these units in Europe. The rental price doesn't seem that great to me. But you can buy the units for $600 or so, last I checked.

The Amtren or Discmakers 60 and 75-disc robots would also be a good solid low-end choice, but I don't see any evidence of these being rented. You might be able to find them for sale, used, for a $300 or so. That's risky, but I like 'em when they're in good repair. And spoon hosts my free driver for these units.

I sell new-in-box kodak kiosk G4 50-disc CD-RW units with my batch ripper driver (and a few other software goodies I wrote for $300 + shipping each, with drivers, but international shipping is expensive (e.g. ~$125 per unit to austria from here). However, the teac drive in them is one of the best non-plextors I've used. The hardware combination does not work well with Vista, unfortunately so it's XP-only.

I've also written a driver for the 100-disc Aleratec Roboracer (aka Dexpreso, recordex, boozer, etc.), which is a pretty good ripper and the fastest disc swapper out there. They're available for $700 or so, to buy new. I got my refurbed units for development from aleratec's ebay store for <$300 However, the driver I wrote for this one isn't free, it's $100 via paypal.

Yes, I know the previous two paragraphs are self-serving. But here's a bonus: with any of the robots using my drivers, including the kodak and the aleratec, you can use multiple robots at once. Even mix and match.

Some of the newer lower-end units out there (datatronics new 75-disc units, such as the ripstation 7601xc, for example) don't have drivers for the batch ripper. I don't write drivers for non-serial-port based loaders, so either spoon will have to look into that or perhaps some third party will step up.

Regarding larger robots, I believe you'll find it difficult to come upon any of the larger 2 or more drive robotic units available to rent, unless you're paying a lot up front and willing to take the risk holding the bag for the replacement value. Their lifetime is seriously threatened any time they are shipped. I've had a couple destroyed in shipping in the past.

Oh, and lastly: on a properly configured and outfitted PC, I figure each good drive in an average robot can go through 15 or so CDs per hour, conservatively. Assumption: these would be good-condition CDs (clean, no scratches), in either burst mode or with accuraterip turned on in secure mode with matches found. You can figure out your robot sizing or how many robots you'll need based on that.

-brendan
                      Last edited by bhoar; April 11, 2009, 09:50 PM.

Comment

• sonyman
                        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                        • May 2008

Dear Brendan,
                        i have send a question about your offer to write Tray watcher Script.

Can you write it? <i pay for it>

Thanks
                        Bastian

Comment

• sredmyer
                          dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                          • May 2008

Powerfile/Sony XL1B changers

Does anyone know where I can find a service manual for either the Sony device or the Powerfile devices. I have been able to find the owners manuals but I need a service manual.

Also if anyone is interested, I have been working on modifications to the Powerfile (both R200 and C200) which will improve their suitability as batch CD ripping machines.

I have redesigned the drive mounting hardware to accept Plextor PX-708A drives. These drives were chosen because they offer decent read speeds (40X) and, I have been told, are pretty good at DAE.

Further I am redesigning the electronics inside to separate the robotics controller from the drives. My redesigned devices connect to the host PC via USB not Firewire. This change was made for two reasons; First, my batch ripping software of choice (dbPoweramp BatchRipper:smile2 does not do very good job utilizing some of the drives features (C2 error reporting, FUA cache flushing) over a Firewire to IDE bridge. Second I wanted the robotics control to be simple RS232 and completely independent of the drives. This seemed easiest to implement via simple USB to serial. Further I felt that if the interface to the robotics was simple RS232 serial it would eliminate some of the instability issues these devices have under Windows.

Thanks,

Comment

• sonyman
                            dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                            • May 2008

Is the Kodak KDK-1000-03 supportet?

Thanks!

Comment

• bhoar
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Sep 2006

Is the Kodak KDK-1000-03 supportet?

Thanks!
                              One person bought one and reported here that it did not work with my driver. So, I can only support the -04 units.

-brendan

Comment

• sonyman
                                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                                • May 2008

Works the Kodak Kiosk KDK-1000-04 with any CD/DVD Drive?
                                Or is it a special Drive, compare the Aleratec Robo Racer ?

Is a Recording/ Burning Software available ?

Thanks

Bastian

Comment

Working...

]]>