title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Volume Control Issues

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Valarauko
    • Jul 2005

Volume Control Issues

First off, I have tried this with both the latest official and the latest beta releases, the same problem happens.

The problem im having is the issue with dAP controlling the master volume when using multimedia keyboards. Now, ive already done a search, read all I saw, and none of it was helpful in solving the problem.

Heres a list of things ive already done

-Changed output from Wave to DirectX (Failed)
    -Change shortcuts for volume using keyboard configurator (Failed)
    -Close dAP and use volume keys to control master volume (Keys no longer work w/ dAP installed)
  • ChristinaS
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2004

Re: Volume Control Issues

Here's something on this: http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthre...media+keyboard

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

Keyboard short cuts are only for Microsoft compatible keyboards, a configuration mapping program doesn't sound very standard.
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Valarauko
        • Jul 2005

What do you mean spoon?

Its a standard Microsoft Multimedia Keyboard and the keyboard configuration program I was referring to came with dAP. Unfortunately, the Multimedia Keyboard doesnt let you assign specific commands to the volume keys, but I thought it would be worth a shot anyway. o.O

Also, dAP doesnt run at startup either =/ The only thing in my startup is Microsoft Office
        Last edited by Valarauko; July 27, 2005, 03:12 AM.

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

You don't need to program those specific keys, as they are used automatically. Are you logged on as Administrator?
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Valarauko
            • Jul 2005

I know you dont need to program the keys. The problem is that you cant, and therefore I cant change what they control, which is where the problem lies.Because dAP thinks when i use the volume keys im trying to control its volume, when I actually want to control the master volume.

Comment

• Spoon
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

Ah right,

I don't know how to change that behaviour.
              Spoon
              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• jfkaess
                dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                • May 2005

I have Windows XP Media Center with volume keys on the keyboard and I'vbe also noticed this p[roblem. Here is what I see:

When dap is not running, the volume keys correctly control the master volume.

When dap is running, dap takes over control of the master volume and changing volume via dap changes the master volume, and the keys no longer function properly.

I know that isn't a very clear description, but things definitely do not work properly when dap is running, kand I don't have this problem with Windows media player or any other programs

John

Comment

• Spoon
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 2002

>and the keys no longer function properly.

You mean the volume keys on the keyboard do not change anything? even in dap?
                  Spoon
                  www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Valarauko
                    • Jul 2005

At least you can control master volume when dAP isnt running lol. I cant control a thing when dap isnt running. The little volume bar shows up, but nothing changes.

Comment

• jfkaess
                      dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                      • May 2005

Clarifying (I hope) when dap is not running, I can use volume controls as usual. They control the master volume of the entire PC sound.

When dap is running, The volume keys do NOT function in Media Center at all, volume is not controllable by any means inside Media Center - it is locked at the level set in dap. When controling the volume in dap it is affecting master volume of entire PC, which would be OK (I guess) if I could still use the keys in Media Center.

Dap does not need to be actually playing to cause this problem, just having it loaded is enough.

It seems that dap is hooked into the master volume control of the PC. I would prefer if it only controlled the volume of dap and left the master volume alone. Is that possible? This is the way Quicktime and Windows Media Player work. They only control the volume of the app and not the master volume (or ao it seems to me).

Hope that helps.

John

Comment

• Spoon
                        Administrator
                        • Apr 2002

Switching to DirectX output shouldn't change master volume.
                        Spoon
                        www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• Valarauko
                          • Jul 2005

::Shrug:: Im using directX and its still controlling mine. Well... or I should say, locking me out of controlling it.

If dAP's volume was a direct variable dependent upon the master volume (Meaning 50% of master volume = 50% volume in dap) then I wouldnt have so much of a problem, because I could still control the master volume, and just stop dap when I needed to do other things. But the problem is, my volume keys ONLY control dap, regardless of whether or not dAP is running.

Comment

Working...

]]>