title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Volume Boost Question

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jfkaess
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • May 2005

Volume Boost Question

I'm using the latest beta (6) of the player. In the MMC there is a column called volume boost. I've found I can correct overly loud or overly quiet tracks by adjusting this slider. However, there is a button "A" which is supposed to stand for automatic. I've turned it on and off for both loud and quiet tracks and can not see that it does anything. Am I not understanding something? Is this button supposed to adjust volume levels automatically?

John
  • jfkaess
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • May 2005

Re: Volume Boost Question

Additional information - I've read some of the threads on the volume boost.

I used "edit tag" to turn on the "A" volume boost control for all my tracks. I've now played 5 tracks completely through, and the "A" light is still on for those tracks and no adjustment was made. I have random and selective both turned on.

I've turned off the selective and left on random. It appears to now work after the file is finished playing. Apparently, the automatic setting does not work when selective play is active.

The more I play with the MMC, the more impressed I am. The documentation could use some work, but then again - its a free program, so I guess I shouldn't complain. Keep up the good work, Spoon!

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

The normalize is based on Peak to peak, so if there are loud peaks then the track is not being changed much.

dAP has to play the files from its own choice to normalize (if I remember).
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• jfkaess
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • May 2005

I have about 1,000 tracks. As I've been playing through them (about 1/2 so far) with the Automatic button on for all tracks, MMC has incresed the volume for about 20% of the tracks to varying levels, but has not decreased the volume for a single track, no matter how loud a track is.

Shouldn't it be lowering the volume on some very loud tracks?

John

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

No it only increases quiet ones.
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• neilthecellist
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Dec 2004

Computers can't tell automatically by themselves.

Comment

• Craze
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Oct 2002

For what it's worth, I recently had to start over with MMC. I did not checkmark the Auto Volume Normalization option in Preferences this time. This has worked out pretty good for me since only a few CD's in my collection were released with overly hot signals. The loud files can be dialed back on the fly and they will stay locked in that position from that point on.

The misconception that AVN will make all of your files play at the same level is as Spoon stated,...it will NOT decrease the levels of your louder files. This should make it easy for everyone.
              Just turn the loud files down to match the rest of your collection instead of trying to bring everything else up to the louder levels.
              Hope this helps.
              -Craze

Comment

• Spoon
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

dAP will switch over to replay gain one day, that does lower the volume.
                Spoon
                www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>