title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

FreeDB, is it present?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zarchon
    • Jan 2005

FreeDB, is it present?

Is there a way I can connect and retrieve information for my mp3's in DAP or in MMC? Sorta like in Windows Media Player... I'm trying to get used to DAP but I think an essential feature is the Media Information. If there is no support for online media information, i'm going straight back to WMP. Please help me. :(
  • LtData
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • May 2004

Re: FreeDB, is it present?

Originally posted by Zarchon
    Is there a way I can connect and retrieve information for my mp3's in DAP or in MMC? Sorta like in Windows Media Player... I'm trying to get used to DAP but I think an essential feature is the Media Information. If there is no support for online media information, i'm going straight back to WMP. Please help me. :(
    I don't think that there is currently a way to have dAP write tags to mp3 files via freedb. Are the mp3 files that aren't tagged ripped off of CDs?

Comment

• ChristinaS
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Apr 2004

You mean to say WMP gets media information from the web for mp3 files that don't have tag information? I thought it only displayed the tag informaiton for those.

I know it may get informaiton for audio cd's, and even then, it has to be a commercial one, typically not a burnt one unless it's an exact replica of a commercail one. Otherwise, if you get anything at all, you risk getting totally wrong information as it may identify with the wrong thing.

Comment

• donny
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Oct 2002

yup had problems with WMP alright... I had a CD from Djordje Balasevic (a yugoslovenian artist) in the collection and it was quickly identified as Enya, memories of the trees... lol

WMP doesn't read from FreeDB as far as I know it reads from it's own catalogues... it is nice sometimes, though... I had for example all of the song writters for "The Ultimate Experience" right there in the tags... but for most CDs there are no info...

Comment

• ChristinaS
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Apr 2004

LOL! Yes, WMP gets the information fron the Online Media Library that Microsoft maintains. Similar to Freedb I guess.

One of my daughters's own cd's that had never been included in the database (being home-studio recordings) was identified as being some rapper's cd - I forget the name, but just his name alone was shocking, not just the titles

Comment

Working...

]]>