title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Unistalling dbPowerAmp audio player

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TomSkelf
    • Dec 2004

Unistalling dbPowerAmp audio player

Please could somebody explain how to uninstall dbPowerAmp audio player from my Windows XP PC? There is no entry in my "Add or Remove Programs" list and there is no uninstall file within the directory. Is it necessary to delete the files manually? Are there any registry settings to clean up? I have already searched the forums for a solution to this, but wasn't able to find one that applied. Thanks a lot for any help. -Tom
  • ChristinaS
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2004

Re: Unistalling dbPowerAmp audio player

Originally posted by TomSkelf
    Please could somebody explain how to uninstall dbPowerAmp audio player from my Windows XP PC? There is no entry in my "Add or Remove Programs" list and there is no uninstall file within the directory. Is it necessary to delete the files manually? Are there any registry settings to clean up? I have already searched the forums for a solution to this, but wasn't able to find one that applied. Thanks a lot for any help. -Tom
    Are you the same user who installed the dBpowerAMP programs on that PC? Do you have administrator priviledges?

Comment

• TomSkelf
      • Dec 2004

Thanks for responding.
      Yes, I am the same user who installed dbPowerAmp audio player.
      No, I do not have administrator privileges.

Comment

• ChristinaS
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by TomSkelf
        Thanks for responding.
        Yes, I am the same user who installed dbPowerAmp audio player.
        No, I do not have administrator privileges.
        Well, that may be the problem with Add/Install programs.

You can clean up the registry - locate all occurrences of dBpowerAMP and/or Illustrate - and then delete the actual program files folder: Illustrate. Not sure if it gets rid of all traces. WOndering if the POP-up info will go.

Actually before doiong any of this, us dMC Configuration and remove the options about Windows Shell integration (popup on explorer right-click).

Comment

• adaywayne
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Nov 2004

Originally posted by ChristinaS
          Well, that may be the problem with Add/Install programs.

You can clean up the registry - locate all occurrences of dBpowerAMP and/or Illustrate - and then delete the actual program files folder: Illustrate. Not sure if it gets rid of all traces. WOndering if the POP-up info will go.

Actually before doiong any of this, us dMC Configuration and remove the options about Windows Shell integration (popup on explorer right-click).
          [COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]In Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs, the player is listed simply as
          dBPowerAmp rather than dB PowerAmp Player. This could be the problem. It is about 18MB in size and is a separate entry from dBPowerAmp Converter. When I first used this to uninstall the player many features of my DMC stopped working and I had to reinstall DMC.
          However, I tried this again a few days ago (just out of curiosity) and DMCstill seems fully functional.
          Arnie [/COLOR]

Comment

• Razgo
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

1) Select 'Start' >> 'Run' and type:

regedit.exe

Browse to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Illustrate
            delete the Key (folder) you want to delete. if you want to delete all the delete the folder "illustrate"

2) Using Windows Explorer, open C:\Program Files\Illustrate and Delete the folder 'dBpowerAMP'

Comment

• adaywayne
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Razgo
              1) Select 'Start' >> 'Run' and type:

regedit.exe

Browse to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Illustrate
              delete the Key (folder) you want to delete. if you want to delete all the delete the folder "illustrate"

2) Using Windows Explorer, open C:\Program Files\Illustrate and Delete the folder 'dBpowerAMP'
              [COLOR=Navy]Are you saying that dBPlayer can not be uninstalled from the Control Panel>Add /Remove Programs? I ask, because that is not what Spoon told me. I would suggest that no program should require editing the Registry to uninstall it. Perhaps I misunderstood what you posted?
              [/COLOR]

Comment

• Razgo
                Administrator
                • Apr 2002

no i am not saying dap/dmc can't be uninstalled by the "add remove" function in windows.

TomSkelf problems seems to be because he does not have admin access so therefore does not see the "add remove" function in windows because he is not logged in as admin.

so in the mean time you can uninstall dap/dmc by way of editing the registry entries made by dap/dmc.

Comment

• adaywayne
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Razgo
                  no i am not saying dap/dmc can't be uninstalled by the "add remove" function in windows.

TomSkelf problems seems to be because he does not have admin access so therefore does not see the "add remove" function in windows because he is not logged in as admin.

so in the mean time you can uninstall dap/dmc by way of editing the registry entries made by dap/dmc.
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[COLOR=Navy]I think TomSkelf may not really be sure whether he has administrator access or not. If not, how did he install DMC/DMP in the first place?

If he is still reading this thread, let's ask him if he has uninstall options for other programs in the add/remove list. My GUESS is that he does but, like me, didn't realize that dBPowerAMP (with no mention of "Player") is the program to uninstall. I could be wrong, of course, I often am (as my wife is always reminding me).
                  Arnie
                  [/COLOR]

Comment

• TomSkelf
                    • Dec 2004

Thanks again for all the responses.

In reponse to adaywayne, I do not have administrator access. However, dbPowerAmp appeared to install fine without administrator access. There was no message to suggest otherwise. Some programs will display a message such as "you must be administrator to install this program", but dbPowerAmp audio player did not.

In my add/remove program list there are several bdPowerAmp entries, but none that are obviously the audio player. I only want to uninstall the audio player, not the music converter and associated codecs, if possible. These are the entries:

dbPowerAmp FLAC Codec
                    dbPowerAmp Music Converter
                    dbPowerAmp Real Audio Codec
                    dbPowerAmp Real Audio Encoder R3
                    dbPowerAmp Shorten Coded
                    dbPowerAmp WMA V9 Codec

There are no other entries containing the name "dbPowerAmp".

I think the best approach might be to uninstall all the stuff in the add/remove programs list, then clean the registry and delete the folder, then reinstall the music converter and codecs. I'll post again if I encounter any probelms.

I think it would be great if a future version of audio player could include an uninstaller in the start menu for people who install it without administrator rights.

Thanks again for your help.

Tom

Comment

• Spoon
                      Administrator
                      • Apr 2002

Install the audio player again, then look for it in add / remove.
                      Spoon
                      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>