title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Taking it on the .shn

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • whale
    • Dec 2004

Taking it on the .shn

Greetings,

A perplexing problem for me.

After downloading a series of .shn files of a particular live concert, unlike other .shn files,these cannot be converted or played on dbpowerAMP nor any other.

The perplexing part to me is that on these particular files for example when viewing them via Properties>ID Tag>File Details the following:

SIZE: 16842 KB;
    UNCOMPRESSED: 26049 KB;
    FREQUENCY: 44100:
    CHANNELS: 2563;

Yet (here's the perplexing part):

LENGTH: 0:00

I don't understand these relationships and hope someone can help enlighten me and further my feeble understanding.

Thanks for viewing my request.
  • ChristinaS
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2004

Re: Taking it on the .shn

Originally posted by whale
    Greetings,

A perplexing problem for me.

After downloading a series of .shn files of a particular live concert, unlike other .shn files,these cannot be converted or played on dbpowerAMP nor any other.

The perplexing part to me is that on these particular files for example when viewing them via Properties>ID Tag>File Details the following:

SIZE: 16842 KB;
    UNCOMPRESSED: 26049 KB;
    FREQUENCY: 44100:
    CHANNELS: 2563;

Yet (here's the perplexing part):

LENGTH: 0:00

I don't understand these relationships and hope someone can help enlighten me and further my feeble understanding.

Thanks for viewing my request.
    I assume you have downloaded and installed the Shorten codec from Codec Central. If so, I have no idea why the files do not play, perhaps they are somehow corrupted.

According to the writeup at Codec Central > the page for the SHorten codec, Shorten does not support ID tags. Therefore what you see in the file properties may be wrong. I find the channels strange, to say the least.

Mind you, I just converted a .wav to .shn and there is a bit of information in the ID tag. For ID tags my dMC is configured to write ID3V2 & ID3V1, no idea if this is significant or not here.

Comment

• Spoon
      Administrator
      • Apr 2002

>CHANNELS: 2563;

Perhaps a corrupt file?
      Spoon
      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• whale
        • Dec 2004

Thanks for the speedy replies.

Well the perplexion gets perplexior -

I have no problem "translating" other files of the type.

As far as corruption goes, I am talking about an entire concert of individual songs so there would have to be over 20 "corrupted files" - an unlikely event I would think.

These were accessed via FTP at a legitimate concern. Everything looks good on paper - oh well back to the drawing board!

But once again thanks for looking.

Comment

Working...

]]>